Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 05:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cards sign Kreider  (Read 895 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Apr 02, 2009 at 14:14 »

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2009 at 14:58 »

You had to love Danny-boy.  From that first season as a UDFA when he made his name with a crushing block on Ray-Ray 'till Arians could find no use for him, Steeler guy through and through.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2009 at 15:04 »

I think this guy could be a steal...

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/mar/06/summers-steals-show-unlv-pro-day/

And if there's one team whose attention Summers caught more than anyone's as a fullback, it was the reigning Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers, who had two scouts on-hand alongside running backs coach Kirby Wilson.

The Steelers' staffers in attendance, after all of the players' running tests were completed, held Summers behind on the field to have him run a series of cone drills and pass-catching sets.

They wanted to see first-hand the soft and sure mitts that hauled in 36 passes during Summers' two seasons as a Rebel, which were a nice supplement to his 1,668 rushing yards.

After his first grab, a pass to the flat, he turned, grunted and sprinted downfield

At one point, one scout said, under his breathe, 'He's a junior Bus', referring to sure-fire Hall of Famer Jerome Bettis, who helped carry the Steelers to a win in Super Bowl XL over Seattle in 2006 to cap his brilliant 13-year career.

But there's no question the added attention from the Steelers perked him up.

"It gave me a lot of confidence that I'm doing something right and I'm on the right track," he said. "And hopefully I can pick up my phone on draft day and (Wilson) will be calling me."

Very x cite...

Brinker
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2009 at 15:07 by Brinker » Logged

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2009 at 15:12 »

Video...

Small | Large

Brinker

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2009 at 15:24 »

I had him in my mock as our last R7 pick, but I could see them using a R5 comp on him.

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2009 at 15:36 »

Here is the junk we have picked up in the 5th round the last few years...

5 156 Dennis Dixon  QB Oregon TBD

5 156 Cameron Stephenson  G Rutgers

5 164 Omar Jacobs  QB Bowling Green State
5 167 Charles Davis  TE Purdue

5 166 Rian Wallace  LB Temple

5 145 Nathaniel Adibi  DE Virginia Tech

Other Famous 5th round selections

1990 - Barry Foster
1987 - Hardy Nickerson
1981 - Ricky Martin
1980 - Craif Wolfley ---Took Tunch in the 6th

and finally  in 1974....

Mike Webster

Brinker
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2009 at 15:47 by Brinker » Logged

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2009 at 17:57 »

The R5 of late has been poor.  Not just "we have a roster crowded with talent and thar ain't nowhere to fit some of these guys in" poor, but rather just plain pisspoor.  Dixon may be the exception: I really liked this kid in college, and think he may be a legit #2 guy in our system who could take the reins if need be.

I think the coaches have seen how well LeRon McClain did for the Ratties and have secretly coveted that kind of big, dual-purpose back (FB, HB if needed).  I'd say Summers and McClain stack up very closely, although I am sick of hearing how every big HB or nimble/productive FB is a Bus, Jr.  Look, talent like Jerome's doesn't come along all that often.  We're too skewed by the prism of the recent past, i.e., fat/slow Bettis.  At the end, Bettis had some nice pop and some lively carries, but the torch had clearly been passed.  And wasn't nothin' like the glory days, say through 2000, half of 2001.

Summers is a big boy, though, and McClain is good point of reference.  Ratties took him R4/137? IIRC, and he was rated R6/7 in NFLDS, again by my soggy memory.  Summers is rated slightly lower, though who knows why, as rating FBs is even less a science than other spots.  Summers did tie for best lifts among FBs (30!) with Fiametta (top-ranked FB this year) of 'Cuse.  Noted big boy Rashad Jennings of Liberty put the bar up 29, which ain't bad.  So he's in the top among strong.

Had a 34 1/2" VJ, which is surprisingly median amongst this crop of FBs (Fiametta did 34", Quinn Johnson of LSU did 32", Brannan Southerland of UGA did 38'!, Marquez Branson of C. Arkansas did 35"... all those rated higher than Summers... of those lower, David Johnson of Ark. St. did 32 1/2", and Marcus Mallel of Weber St. did 35").  VJ measures, according to CV, explosiveness; McClain did 29 1/2", but looks better than others in his class who did 37".  On the whole, this class jumped well, though, and might be a deep FB class, if anyone cares.

KEI (lifts + VJ + broad) is a barometer mostly for front 7 D, but applied here is interesting.  McClain only lifted 14, which added to that VJ and a 9'05" BJ yields 54, 70 being the rubicon.  OK, so McClain's not a front 7 guy, and an exception to KEI type numbers.  As a pure athlete, Summers gets to close to 74 KEI, which, regardless of position, indicates a guy with some serious measurables. 

Anyway, Summers had 2,070 yards from scrimmage in 2 seasons, and looks decent catching the ball, which Carey Davis did not.  In all respects I would expect Summers >>> Davis, and assume Summers is a priority.  Maybe not enough to break into R4, but R5 definitely.  I'd bet money on it, given the extra pick there.

I would assume it would be a Summers for Davis swap-out, but wonder how it might also affect Gary Russell.  He could become an afterthought/trade item.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2009 at 18:21 »

Summers?  Forget Summers.  Hell, I'm still mad that we didn't try to re-sing Kreider.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2009 at 08:41 »

I'd say Summers and McClain stack up very closely, although I am sick of hearing how every big HB or nimble/productive FB is a Bus, Jr. 

+1.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2009 at 08:51 »

Better FB in their prime: Dan Kreider or Tim Lester?  Discuss.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: