Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 21, 2014 at 12:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bye bye Leftwich?  (Read 1695 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Apr 03, 2009 at 15:24 »

Eddie B. reports that an unnamed team is talking to Lefty, who wants to be a starter but will sign back with us if he can't find such a gig.

OK, timing of this on the heels of the Cutler trade... gotta figure it's the Bucs, Jets, Browns... I don't know that the Redskins feel the need even though they were in the Cutler drama.... Who else?

IMO, it's the Jets.  We'll see.  But I do think Leftwich's days as a Steeler are soon over.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2009 at 15:28 »

It wouldn't surprise.  He was a good team player for the Steelers, I hope he gets a shot somewhere. 

!!!HEY SUMBUDDY SING BYROON FUKKING LEFTMICH!!!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2009 at 04:44 »

Am I the only one who isn't in love with this guy? He threw just 36 passes this season, and most of which were in clean up duty. The guy couldn't hack it Jacksonville, and he's been spotty ever since. I agree, he played well whenever he was in last season, but does that mean he can start somewhere. The verdict is still out, but in my opinion Lefty is a good backup, and a very average starter. I don't think Charlie is done yet either. If Lefty sings with someone else, I really don't have a problem with Charlie backing up Ben. If Lefty stays, I have no problem with that either. I just don't think this guy can go to New York or Cleveland and set the world on fire.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2009 at 07:15 »

Am I the only one who isn't in love with this guy? He threw just 36 passes this season, and most of which were in clean up duty. The guy couldn't hack it Jacksonville, and he's been spotty ever since. I agree, he played well whenever he was in last season, but does that mean he can start somewhere. The verdict is still out, but in my opinion Lefty is a good backup, and a very average starter. I don't think Charlie is done yet either. If Lefty sings with someone else, I really don't have a problem with Charlie backing up Ben. If Lefty stays, I have no problem with that either. I just don't think this guy can go to New York or Cleveland and set the world on fire.

I agree with you to an extent. I think Leftwich did a great job when called upon this season, but how many times does the backup come in, look like an all-star, and get signed somewhere else (Rob Johnson, anyone?). I'd have to think that backing up Ben makes this even easier because I'm sure defenses gameplan against Ben's strengths (scrambling, add-lib, etc.) so when a 3-step and fire guy like Lefwich comes in it really throws them off guard.

I'd like to have the guy back mostly because at this point in their careers he is more durable. Don't think he's much beter though.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2009 at 09:21 »

I agree with you to an extent. I think Leftwich did a great job when called upon this season, but how many times does the backup come in, look like an all-star, and get signed somewhere else (Rob Johnson, anyone?). I'd have to think that backing up Ben makes this even easier because I'm sure defenses gameplan against Ben's strengths (scrambling, add-lib, etc.) so when a 3-step and fire guy like Lefwich comes in it really throws them off guard.

I'd like to have the guy back mostly because at this point in their careers he is more durable. Don't think he's much beter though.

Crimson avatar, I feel teleported back to 1981.

I don't think Leftwich is a top tier QB, but let's face it, he's better than a bunch of other starters.  You don't think he'd be better than Tarvaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels?  Orton or Grossman, when they were the Chi duo?  Clemens or Ratliffe (?!?) in NY?  Whoever the fuck is left in Tampa?  Shaun Hill or Alex "Littlehands" Smith in SF?  In Detroit, Dan Orlovsky and Drew Henson are the presumed placeholders while the '09 draft picks carries the clipboard, and they're better than Lefty? 

Basically, a bunch of clubs could improve immediately by having Leftwich throwing the ball for a couple of years while they find a true successor. 

Leftwich was a pretty decent quarterback who had nothing to work with in Jax once Jimmy Smith and McCardell got old.  He was hurt a lot, and I think for the first time in a couple of years he was healthy in '08.  He's limited in mobility, but he throws a fucking laser, sometimes that being a liability, but he's got the arm, decent ability to read the D, tons of starting experience, and certainly not a prima donna.  I think he's a study in "coulda been" in the NFL, but as time goes on my esteem of Jack del Rio drops year by year, if possible.  He was lauded for having the balls to replace Leftwich with Garrard, but really, what's he done?  Take every criticism of Cowher times two, and everything good about Cowher times a half, and that's del Rio.  Had Leftwich gone elsewhere, who knows.

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2009 at 10:40 »

Steelers backup QB Leftwich in talks with Redskins
Saturday, April 04, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Byron Leftwich paid a visit to the Washington Redskins Friday and the two sides are talking about a contract.

Leftwich does not yet have an offer from the Steelers, where he was the backup quarterback last season after an injury to Charlie Batch in the preseason.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert, their director of football operations, have each said they'd like to re-sign both Leftwich and Batch. Both are unrestricted free agents.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09094/960661-66.stm
BleedGreen710

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2009 at 12:07 »

Steelers backup QB Leftwich in talks with Redskins
Saturday, April 04, 2009

Byron Leftwich paid a visit to the Washington Redskins Friday and the two sides are talking about a contract.

Leftwich does not yet have an offer from the Steelers, where he was the backup quarterback last season after an injury to Charlie Batch in the preseason.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert, their director of football operations, have each said they'd like to re-sign both Leftwich and Batch. Both are unrestricted free agents.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09094/960661-66.stm

Are the Skins giving up on Campbell??  If not, would Leftwich really rather play second fiddle in Washington as opposed to the Steelers?  He's from DC, so I guess I can kinda understand it...

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2009 at 10:23 »

Denver?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2009 at 22:46 »

Finny gets the prize...he's not a top tier qb.  But at the end of the day, he's going to be a lot better and a much more of a proven commodity than many other QBs in the NFL.

Don't know that I'd suddenly turn to him over Campbell, but I'd certainly take him over the likes of Chrissy Simms, or whoever the Jets and the Bucs have in camp.  I think they both had calls in to Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2009 at 12:17 »

And the buccaneers...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09099/961775-66.stm
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2009 at 07:15 »

The Steelers issued a contract offer this week to quarterback Byron Leftwich, who spent yesterday visiting the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The two-year offer from the Steelers is close to minimum wage for Leftwich, according to sources familiar with the negotiations. The minimum for him would be $620,000 in 2009 and $755,000 in '10.

Leftwich, though, prefers a one-year contract if he returns to the Steelers. He signed a one-year contract with them in August after Charlie Batch's clavicle was broken in a preseason game.

Leftwich and Batch are unrestricted free agents, and coach Mike Tomlin said he'd like to have both return. Batch has continued to work out with the Steelers this spring; Leftwich has been working out in Florida.

Leftwich's visit to the Buccaneers was his second in less than a week. He visited the Washington Redskins Friday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09100/961928-66.stm
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2009 at 09:15 »

And it's Tampa Bay...

Source: Buccaneers to add QB Leftwich
ESPN.com news services

Free-agent quarterback Byron Leftwich has agreed to a two-year deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a source told ESPN's Michael Smith.

The Washington Redskins and Pittsburgh Steelers also were interested in Leftwich, who joins a depth chart in Tampa that includes Luke McCown, Josh Johnson, and Brian Griese.

Leftwich, 29, a first-round draft pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars out of Marshall in 2003, won a Super Bowl ring last season as a backup with the Steelers.

The 6-foot-5, 250-pounder has started just eight games since 2006, his last season with the Jaguars. He played for the Atlanta Falcons in 2007.

Leftwich passed for 303 yards with two touchdowns in five appearances with the Steelers last season as Ben Roethlisberger's backup.

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2009 at 09:17 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Joetorious

« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2009 at 10:38 »

I hope he becomes the starter - he deserves it. He seems like a helluva team player and no doubt helped us quite a bit last year. Hate to see him go.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2009 at 17:53 »

IIRC, there was some story a few years back when we were playing Jax (playoff game?) about how Leftwich and Ben had gotten to know each other in the MAC and went out to dinner whenever they played each other.  Must have been a once in a lifetime thing to be together for a year, win a ring together, and to have Leftwich be the anti-TO: a guy who did his job without ego, total team concept.  You can criticize his play, but he seems like the kind of guy we can say we're happy to have had be a Steeler, if only for a year. 

Looks like Batch will be signed soon, I would imagine.  Speaking of team concept guys, who come in and play without ego.

Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2009 at 19:54 »

Tampa Bay signs Steeler QB
Sunday, April 12, 2009

Quarterback Byron Leftwich said today that he has agreed to a two-year contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, ending his one-year stay as a backup with the Steelers.

Leftwich, in a text message to the Post-Gazette, confirmed an ESPN-com report that he will join the Buccaneers. In doing so, he turned down a two-year contract offer from the Steelers for about minimum wage.

In Tampa, Leftwich will have a chance to compete for the starting job, something he would not have with the Steelers. The Bucs also have quarterback Luke McCown, Josh Johnson and Brian Griese with McCown listed as the starter.

The departure of Leftwich means that Charlie Batch is likely to return to the Steelers. Coach Mike Tomlin said he wanted to sign both veteran quarterbacks. Leftwich signed with the Steelers last August after Batch's clavicle was broken in a preseason game.

Besides starter Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers have one other quarterback under contract, Dennis Dixon, their fifth-round draft choice last year. Batch, 34, has been working out with the Steelers since the end of the season.

Leftwich replaced Roethlisberger in the second half of two games and the Steelers won both of them. He completed 21 of 36 passes for 303 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

First published on April 12, 2009 at 6:24 pm

who joins a depth chart in Tampa that includes Luke McCown, Josh Johnson, and Brian Griese
If he can't win the starting gig against that group of turds, something's wrong.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #15 on: Apr 13, 2009 at 06:25 »

Shame he is leaving, he was the consummate team guy. He does deserve another shot to be a starter, and like Chaos said, he can't win the job there, there is something wrong. Good luck, and thank you BL.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Apr 13, 2009 at 09:04 »

I kind of forgot about Dixon. 

Too bad dumbass Arians is a "Dixon killer".

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: