Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 30, 2014 at 14:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jarron Gilbert  (Read 907 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Apr 09, 2009 at 09:44 »

I've been pimping this guy for a while.  Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News usually has a good handle on teams' interest in players.  As you get closer to the draft, Gosselin usually releases his value boards, which never jive with mock draft sites but seem more accurate in guaging where the players will actually fall in the draft. 

Just thought it was interesting that most mocks still have Gilbert as a R2-3 guy, whereas Goose is putting him about where I have him.

San Jose DT Jarron Gilbert takes the long road
5:55 AM Thu, Apr 09, 2009 | Permalink
Rick Gosselin    E-mail    News tips

Like his father, Jarron Gilbert is taking the long road to the NFL.
Daren Gilbert came out of non-football power Cal State-Fullerton in 1985 to become a second-round draft pick of the New Orleans Saints. He played offensive tackle for four seasons in the NFL.
Jarron's goal is to get drafted higher and last longer in the NFL than his dad. Darren was the 38th overall pick of his draft and Jarron projects higher in the 2009 draft despite coming out of another non-football power, San Jose State. He could become the school's first first-round selection since cornerback Gill Byrd in 1983.
Why San Jose State?
"It was my only offer -- and I loved every minute of it," Jarron said. "I was an offensive tackle in high school and weighed about 235. So nobody wanted me as an offensive tackle. San Jose was the only school that wanted me, and they took me as a tight end. After watching me play, they moved me to defensive line. The rest is history."
Gilbert became a three-year starter, captain, team MVP and All-WAC selection at defensive tackle. Now 6-5, 288, Gilbert led the NCAA in tackles for loss last season with 22.
"Coming from San Jose it's harder to get the recognition," Gilbert said. "But eventually the film speaks for itself."

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2009 at 11:31 »

"I was an offensive tackle in high school and weighed about 235. So nobody wanted me as an offensive tackle. San Jose was the only school that wanted me, and they took me as a tight end. After watching me play, they moved me to defensive line. The rest is history."  Gilbert became a three-year starter, captain, team MVP and All-WAC selection at defensive tackle. Now 6-5, 288

Hmmm...big and athletic.

Lotta options. 

He can be a younger, faster and more explosive version of Keisel.

Or...

Have him slim down and run triple and quadruple TE sets after they draft him and that FB/HB bowling ball from UNLV.  Arians' head must be spinning with all of the possibilities.  Opposing teams won't know what hit 'em.

Or...

Put him on the Snacks diet, hope they go with a darkhorse longshot in Starks for the Madden cover and the rest, as they say, is history.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2009 at 11:55 »

I think the guy most likely to be a triple-threat (OLB/TE... maybe DE?) is Connor Barwin.

Gilbert's numbers:

6'5 1/4", 288#, 4.81 40, 28 reps, 35 1/2" VJ, 9'11" BJ (KEI 73.4).  Some very good workout numbers, not to mention his TFL and sacks at SJSU.

Keisel:

6'5", 279#,  4.89 40, 26 reps, 33 1/2" VJ, 8'11" BJ.  Keisel is one of the most athletic DEs we've ever had, but Gilbert beats him at every turn.

Smith:

6'5", 279#, 5.06 40, 19 reps, 29 1/2" VJ, 9'2" BJ.  Smith was hardly a guy by workout numbers, but was incredibly productive against lower LOC at N. Colo., 44 sacks, insane. 

Gilbert takes Keisel's athleticism, and some of Smith's productivity (48 GP, 147 tackles, 42.0 TFL, 21.5 sacks).  Don't think he's as much in the Smith mold, but could be an interesting combo of traits.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2009 at 12:26 »

Is his last name pronounced like Jill Bear?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2009 at 21:16 »

Fucking intersting twist, care of the 212.  Charlie Casserly reports that some teams are interested in possibly moving Gilbert back to OT, based on his size and athleticism.  Mayock chimes in that he's heard that too, and that JG has 37" arms.

37" is fucking ridonculous.  That's All-World OT sized arms.

Of course, Casserly did point out that it might take forever to train him back as OT, but at this point I'm thinking take him at 1.32 and let him play LT and RDE. 

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2009 at 23:22 »

That's quite a twist.  W/out a doubt he'd be the most athletic LT to come along in a long while.  He'd certainly make more dough at LT than as a 3-4 DE.

But don't you think the Steelers would play him at DE?  Playing OT in HS really doesn't compare. 

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2009 at 10:05 »

Fucking intersting twist, care of the 212.  Charlie Casserly reports that after reading about it on Maximum Grilled Steelers, some teams are now interested in possibly moving Gilbert back to OT, based on his size and athleticism.  Mayock chimes in that he heard read about that on that site too, and that JG has 37" arms.

37" is fucking ridonculous.  That's All-World OT sized arms.

Of course, Casserly did point out that it might take forever to train him back as OT, but at this point I'm thinking take him at 1.32 and let him play LT and RDE. 

FYP.

BTW Mike, it's $37, not 37".  The joke loses steam if we gotta spell it out for ya.

LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2009 at 14:47 »

Keisel:

6'5", 279#, 

Smith:

6'5", 279#,

Damn, I didn't realize that Keisel was as big as Smith. He doesn't SEEM to be as big. Maybe it's because Keisel's quicker.

Or it could be the size of Smith's cranium creating the optical illusion of being larger...

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2009 at 14:57 »

Keisel:

6'5", 279#, 

Smith:

6'5", 279#,

Damn, I didn't realize that Keisel was as big as Smith. He doesn't SEEM to be as big. Maybe it's because Keisel's quicker.

Or it could be the size of Smith's cranium creating the optical illusion of being larger...

Pretty sure those numbers are a bit dated as most of the sites out there have Smith hovering near the triple century mark with Keisel somewhere in the 280s.  That weight difference obviously coming from the aforementioned difference in melon sizes.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2009 at 15:03 »

I wanted to compare Gilbert's numbers to Keisel and Smith when they came out of college.

According to the Steelers site, Keisel is about 285# now, and Smith 300#.

IMO, Gilbert has some room to add weight. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: