Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 07:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Hockey needs to be more popular amongst the casual fan?  (Read 2462 times)
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #20 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 14:00 »

\
Never went away...well that depends on who you ask.  Not trying to play devils advocate here ...just being realistic.
Well I don't think anyone is going to argue with you that the NHL isn't as popular as it could or should be. I would just like to know what your initial post has to to do with that sentiment.

The NHL has it's problems, but as Penso said, those of us who love the sport are still watching. The game itself is still great, we'd just like it to be more accessible to the average fan. If you increase the popularity of the sport we all get to watch more games every year. No one wants their sport to be treated as a second rate sport. Especially when it really is an amazing sport to watch.

I agree completely...I do not want it to be looked at as second rate anymore, but the facts are the facts...it is not as popular as it once was or as popluar as I want it to be.  Maybe I should change the name of this post to "What Hockey needs get be more popluar amoungst the casual fan?"

The hockey die hards are getting a rope, looking for a tree and coming for me. Again I try to go to every game the Pens play in my region...i.e. Carolina and Atlanta...

Brinker

It all makes sense now...thanks... violent1

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #21 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 15:07 »

Wow... did a six year old write that sentence?  That was bad...thankfully my job is based on numbers, not words...

Brinker

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 10:03 »

Speaking of Versus, big game on tonight for the Pens.....Wild vs Rags at 7:00.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Apr 09, 2009 at 07:57 »

Interesting read by Starkey this morning...

Starkey: NHL getting last laugh
Buzz up!By Joe Starkey, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, April 9, 2009

Remember all those dire predictions from the NHL lockout four years ago?

This is the last league that can afford a lengthy work stoppage, doomsayers said.

It will permanently alienate its fan base.

It will never attract new fans.

It will die a wretched death.

Well, lookie here: The NHL's on fire. Partly by luck, partly by design, the league everyone loves to bash (often with good reason) is producing a consistently entertaining product that is attracting increased numbers of paying customers and television viewers.

In the United States, television ratings are up from last season on NBC (10 percent) and Versus (23 percent). In Canada, the NHL confirmed earlier this week, ratings are up on CBC, TSN and French-language RDS. Local ratings for 21 of the 30 teams are up from or even with last season.

A full 17 of the league's 30 teams are playing to 95-percent capacity or better, compared to 14 last year, despite the terrible economy.

That doesn't mean the NHL is problem-free. Doesn't mean it's about to overtake the NFL or NASCAR in terms of popularity, either. It might not even overtake the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show (which, by the way, is quite popular).

But it's far from dead.

Truly, the league hasn't been this compelling since the early 1990s.

Nearly every time I flick on a game, I am entertained. That was so not the case as recently as 2003-04, the last season before the league went dark for a year.

The lockout forced the NHL to take a long, hard look at itself. It emerged radically different and much improved.

Sweeping changes and the near-elimination of hooking and holding have conspired to create a game that looks an awful lot like ... hockey.

Traditionalists will tell you the shootout stinks and nobody hits anymore.

They are wrong.

Granted, some of the mauling has been taken out the game - particularly in front of the net - but if anything, collisions are more violent nowadays, because players are moving largely unimpeded at a higher rate of speed.

If you love hockey, you had to love the Penguins-Hurricanes game Saturday night. Action was fast and ferocious for the better part of 60-plus minutes, much like a lot of the games I've watched this season.

Low-talent hacks, who've mostly been weeded out, cannot get away with clutching and grabbing their way to paychecks anymore. We are beginning to see the fruit of teams drafting a new breed of player - new breed being players who can skate, pass and shoot.

Size doesn't matter so much anymore, except in goal.

Meanwhile, new coaches are implementing systems in which fast and skilled players can thrive. The neutral-zone trap has become less prevalent, sticking out like a purple puck in places such as Minnesota, a hockey hotbed where the populace has to be deathly sick of watching their team trap more than Grizzly Adams.

All of that was the design behind the new NHL. Here's the lucky part: The league has been blessed with an influx of electric young talent over the past four years.

Check the top 10 scoring leaders from the past two years before the lockout. You'll see familiar but fading names such as Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund, Todd Bertuzzi, Glen Murray, Mario Lemieux, Ziggy Palffy and Joe Sakic.

Now look. Seven of the top 10 scorers are 25 or younger. Atop the heap sit Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin, who form the NHL's answer to the NBA's "Big Three" of other-worldly talents -- LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade.

In Chicago (Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane) and Columbus (Rick Nash, Steve Mason), great young players are gearing up for their playoff debuts. Stars emerging elsewhere include New Jersey's Zach Parise, Anaheim's Ryan Getzlaf and Washington's Mike Green.

Open your eyes, doomsayers.

The NHL is alive and well.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_619868.html
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #24 on: Apr 09, 2009 at 09:46 »

OKK FIEN YOOU MAID UR POUINT.  HOCKEEY IS TEH BESTT SPOTR EVERR.

No seriously.  that was a great article and I am glad that the sport is thiving. 

Brinker

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #25 on: Apr 09, 2009 at 09:49 »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print