Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 30, 2014 at 17:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Round One: Flyers vs Penguins  (Read 4906 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 04:51 »

:rolleyes:

Crosby's Game 4 goal disputed by Flyers<When asked about his team's scoring opportunities, Stevens said, "You might look at it and say we didn't get people to the net. Well, we did get people to the net. We didn't put the puck at our feet and throw ourselves in the net, which apparently is allowed now, but other than that, I felt like we played a good hockey game."

The NHL reviewed the play at its Toronto replay site and ruled it a good goal.

Its ruling was explained on the league Web site thusly: "At 3:19 of the second period, a play was reviewed to determine if the puck was batted in by the glove of Pittsburgh forward Sidney Crosby. The review determined that the puck went off of Crosby's stick, then his body. There was no batting motion. Call on the ice for good goal stands."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_621753.html
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #41 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 05:03 »

Crosby again shuts up Flyers, fans
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PHILADELPHIA -- You have to feel for Philadelphia's kind, decent, mature hockey fans, don't you?

You know the ones I'm talking about. They don't seem to care all that much about the Flyers-Penguins games. They pay big money to get into the Wachovia Center for the sheer enjoyment of chanting "Crosby stinks!" or some such hospitable thing.

Really, what are those good people going to do to pass time during the long summer if the Penguins end the Flyers' season tomorrow night at Mellon Arena?

I'm sure your heart is breaking for 'em.

Or maybe not.

Maybe you're just too darned happy that the Penguins beat the Flyers, 3-1, last night in Game 4 of their in-state Stanley Cup playoff series. They have a three games to one lead and now have the chance to finish off the Flyers in Pittsburgh.

"It feels unbelievable walking out of this place with a win, playoff or regular season," defenseman Rob Scuderi said.

It sure seemed right that Sidney Crosby played a big part in spoiling the fun here and pushing the Flyers and their genteel fans hard toward the offseason. He had the all-important first goal, the result of simply charging hard to the net. Teammates Tyler Kennedy and Max Talbot added goals and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury made them stand up with 45 saves in an awesome performance.

Funny thing about those refined fans ...

Nary a peep was heard from them as they left the building and headed into the stormy Philadelphia night.

And Crosby? He had to be so high after shutting up nearly 20,000 of sports' most honorable fans that he didn't even need the Penguins' chartered flight to get back to Pittsburgh.

Or maybe not.

"It's just great to be able to steal one here," Crosby said, ever-stoic as always.

You might buy that story, that this win didn't mean more than any other. I'm not. Crosby's teammates weren't buying, either.

"It feels pretty good in my shoes walking out of here. I can only imagine how good it feels in Sid's shoes," Scuderi said.

"I'm sure Sid takes it personally," Talbot added. "He has to. They hate him here so much."

This isn't the first time Crosby has done this sort of thing. He has two goals and four assists in these four playoff games and had two goals and five helpers in the Penguins' five-game playoff smackdown of the Flyers last spring. In 26 regular-season games against the Flyers, the numbers are 20 goals and 26 assists.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

That maybe the abuse really doesn't have much impact on Crosby?

"It's been going on for so long that I honestly don't hear it anymore. It's just crowd noise now," he said.

Only when pressed did he add, "It probably pushes me to sharpen my focus that much more."

Crosby's goal early in the second period was the product of nothing more than hard work. Teammate Matt Cooke, just out of the penalty box after serving an interference infraction, jumped on the puck and got it up ice to winger Chris Kunitz. His centering pass arrived at the Flyers' net at the same time Crosby was charging down the slot. He appeared to get a piece of the puck with his stick before carrying it into the net with his body.

Flyers goaltender Marty Biron had no chance.

"I thought it was a good goal all along," Crosby said. "I know I didn't get it with my skate."

You might imagine the pleasant crowd's reaction.

Yes, they chanted a little louder and with a little more venom.

"If 20,000 people spend all night chanting that you [stink], you must be pretty good," Scuderi said.

"That's the ultimate compliment, if you ask me. Rangers fans still are chanting [Denis] Potvin [stinks], and he's been retired for 20 years.

"All that means is that you're really, really good."

Obviously, Crosby is.

One day, the wise Philadelphia hockey fans will realize that.

Or maybe not.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09112/964564-87.stm
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #42 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 10:54 »

I liked Cook's piece, and phlys fans are assholes.  This is the place where a "fan" jumped in the box with Tie Domi, the single stupidest thing I have ever seen a human being do.

Fuck the Flyers, and fuck Pierre McGuire and his slobbering on the knob of Mike Richards.  Our captain is better, and that, as they say, is that.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #43 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 11:34 »

Maybe I'm a homer but it seemed the announcers bitched about every call that went against the Flyers and gave the Pens shit for the few calls they got.

Carcillo with the hot hand?  15 minutes

Were you watching FSN or are you out of the area and watching Versus?

Out of area/watching VS

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #44 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 11:57 »

When asked about his team's scoring opportunities, Stevens said, "You might look at it and say we didn't get people to the net. Well, we did get people to the net. We didn't put the puck at our feet and throw ourselves in the net, which apparently is allowed now, but other than that, I felt like we played a good hockey game."

What a douche. What coach says shit like this after every loss? Man I didn't want to play Philly at first but now I'm glad to be the one's hopefully sending them home.

And I agree, Fluery was a god last night. In fact, this series might be 3-1 Flyers without him.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #45 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 16:50 »

Out of area/watching VS

Ah, that explains a great deal.  Especially if they had Eddie AKA Sour Grapes Olczyk working the game.

Speaking of Versus, did you see that Flyer fan throw an object at Crosby at the very end of the game while the players were skating off the ice?  Crosby simply shook his head and kept skating.  They showed it on ESPN this morning.  I can't say that I was all that surprised, these are the same jagoffs who threw a stink bomb on the ice earlier in the year when they were playing the Devils.

It's one thing to taunt players.  If you want to scream "Crosby sucks" and make an ass out of yourself and your city, go for it.  When you start throwing objects at players/officials, that's when the league needs to step in and put a stop to that type of stuff.  Apparently the idiotic ownership in Philly can't handle it, so start dishing our huge fines and then see what ownership does about it.  Hit them where it hurts, their wallets.
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2009 at 17:47 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #46 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 17:06 »

When asked about his team's scoring opportunities, Stevens said, "You might look at it and say we didn't get people to the net. Well, we did get people to the net. We didn't put the puck at our feet and throw ourselves in the net, which apparently is allowed now, but other than that, I felt like we played a good hockey game."

What a douche. What coach says shit like this after every loss? Man I didn't want to play Philly at first but now I'm glad to be the one's hopefully sending them home.

And I agree, Fluery was a god last night. In fact, this series might be 3-1 Flyers without him.

I think what we are now seeing is Stevens hitting desperation mode and apparently he doesn't really care about how much of a dope he sounds like in the press. Him and Bryan Murray should get a room.  The puck crossed the crease before Sid touched Biron, all the while having Gagne on his back. I have seen that same type of play occur on a number of occasions this year around the league. Sid got body position and went to the net and scored.  I wonder if Stevens recalls the two plays before Sid's goal where Carle swan dived onto Fleury (no call of course) or when Powe ran Fleury and knocked his helmet off his head (again, no call)? It's funny how Stevens did not bring that one up during his post-game crying and complaining.  How convenient.

As for Fleury, that was the best game I have ever seen him play.  His rebound control was excellent and his positioning was even better.  We did not play a great game last night by any stretch of the imagination, but you need a good/great goaltender to get you a win now and again.  The Penguins have that type of goaltender and like I said before this series began, the Flyers do not have one in Marty Biron.  He doesn't make that key save to win them a close game.  If anything, the Penguins have made him look better than he really is in my opinion.  Our lack of production while on the PP and our lack of shots on net in general have helped Biron's numbers.

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2009 at 17:33 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #47 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 13:28 »

You know the second line is hurting when this occurs and I can't believe I'm agreeing with a Flyer player (Asham)...

Satan to replace Sykora for Penguins tonight
Thursday, April 23, 2009
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Petr Sykora seemed stunned to learn that Miroslav Satan will replace him in the Penguins' lineup for Game 5 of their opening-round playoff series against Philadelphia 7:08 tonight at Mellon Arena.

"I'm surprised," he said after the game-day skate. "Yes."

The Flyers, conversely, didn't seem to care much about the switch.

"I feel like (Satan) is the exact same player as Sykora," said forward Arron Asham, Satan's former teammate with the New York Islanders.

"He's a dangerous sniper-type, but a guy who doesn't like the rough stuff. So if we take a body to him and be physical with him, I don't think he'll be too much of a factor."

That's a fair description of Sykora's work through the first four games of the series, during which he has failed to earn a point.

He has just two goals in his past 21 appearances and his play has spawned speculation that Sykora is playing with a significant injury, but both he and team officials deny that.

Inserting Satan might not be the only switch the Penguins make tonight.

Defenseman Philippe Boucher could go in for Kris Letang, who is believed to be nursing an unspecified injury.

Interim coach Dan Bylsma said that choosing between Boucher and Letang will be "a game-time decision." Boucher, however, got some work in Letang's usual spot on the left point of the No. 1 power-play unit during today's morning skate.

Although Satan will take Sykora's spot in the lineup, he won't necessarily inherit his place on the No. 2 line with Evgeni Malkin and Ruslan Fedotenko.

Pascal Dupuis, who has been on the fourth line, moved up to Malkin's line during drills this morning, while Satan skated with Max Talbot and Craig Adams in Dupuis' usual place.

Satan, who has not played in an NHL game since March 3, said today he had "no nerves" about playing, and that he doesn't expect that he'll need long to get acclimated.

"I hope it won't take me more than two shifts," he said.

The Penguins have a 3-1 lead in the series and can clinch a spot in the second round with a victory tonight.

Dave Molinari can be reached at dmolinari@post-gazette.com.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09113/965026-100.stm
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2009 at 13:34 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #48 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 14:18 »

I've been a huge supporter of Sykora throughout his time with the Penguins, but the has be simply awful for the last 30 games. Yeah, we know he doesn't forecheck and isn't physical, but I need both hands and both feet to count the number of scoring chances he's blown in that 30 game span, including many wide open nets. I don't know if it's due to age, injury, or something else, but when you can't score on a line with Geno, you have got serious problems. And if it isn't an injury causing this, I'd stay as far away from resigning him as possible.

That said, I'd rather dress Godard than Satan and move up Talbot. I don't see Satan doing much because he is soft and he sucks. At least Godard could help deal with the bullshit the Flyers are going to pull tonight. Anyways, it appears the decision has been made. Prove me wrong, Satan.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #49 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 14:32 »

I really don't have a problem with Bylsma replacing Sykora with Satan. Sykora hasn't been playing any better than Satan was before being sent of to W/B. My problem is playing Satan on a 4th line. That's just idiotic. He doesn't hit, he doesn't play physical at all. He's not a 4th line player. If you're going to dress him, you gotta at least put him a position to get the most out of him. If Sykora isn't hurt, why not just move him to the 4th line? Becuase it would be pointless and so is inserting Satan on the 4th line. To say nothing about Dupuis being out of position on the 2nd line. Bylsma is just weakening 2 lines by making these changes.

Maybe that's why it still reads INTERIM Coach on Bylsma's business cards.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: