Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 21, 2014 at 07:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers release RB Gary Russell  (Read 2736 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Apr 16, 2009 at 14:53 »

Steelers sign Batch to one-year-deal, release Gary Russell
Buzz up!By The Associated Press Thursday, April 16, 2009
Last updated: 3:01 pm
Home Delivery

Backup quarterback Charlie Batch returned to the Pittsburgh Steelers by signing an $895,000, one-year contract that includes a $50,000 signing bonus.

The move Thursday was expected because Batch has been working out with the Steelers since missing last season with a broken right collarbone. Byron Leftwich replaced Batch as Ben Roethlisberger's backup, but he signed a $7.5 million, two-year deal with Tampa Bay.

Batch has been the Steelers' primary backup since signing with the Steelers in 2002. He has played in 22 games since then, starting four times.

The Steelers also released running back Gary Russell, who signed with them as an undrafted free agent in 2007. He scored a touchdown during their 27-23 victory over the Arizona Cardinals in the Super Bowl.

Ummmm... why?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2009 at 15:05 »

I smell off the field issues....

Brinker

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2009 at 15:20 »

Brinker

I smell a pre-dawn shart.

Shocked

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2009 at 16:50 »

Thats a little weird. Do they have a Day 2 RB target? Maybe they think that CFL guy they singed a while back will make it. Now its FWP, MM, RM, and Huh?. Maybes them bring him back closer to TC.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2009 at 18:09 »

Brinker

I agree. Otherwise, this move makes no sense. What, the buck fifty we have invested in the guy is needed to free up cap room for a 3rd string punter?

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2009 at 08:44 »

Timing is odd.  Have OTAs begun?  Maybe he showed up weighing 3 bills and smelling like he'd bee driving around all day with Santonio Holmes.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2009 at 11:22 »

But, but, but...who's gonna return KOs?

Weird move.  It's obviously not a $$$ or roster spot move as axing any number of other guys would've done the same thing.  Maybe he teabagged somebody's sister?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2009 at 11:34 »

Weird move.  It's obviously not a $$$ or roster spot move as axing any number of other guys would've done the same thing.  Maybe he teabagged somebody's sister?

You're all missing the point.  This is good news.  It means more carries and screen passes to the powerful, elusive, and all-around underrated Carey Davis.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2009 at 12:17 »

Parker, Moore, Mendenhall, Davis, McHugh (does he count?) and some other guy ... how many RB/FBs do ya need?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2009 at 12:23 »

Parker, Moore, Mendenhall, Davis, McHugh (does he count?) and some other guy ... how many RB/FBs do ya need?

If they are in teh best shape of their career....Sixteen.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2009 at 12:41 »

Russell gets singed by teh Cards in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2009 at 18:26 »

PFT reporting the Bungles singed Russell.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/17/bengals-claim-russell-off-waivers/

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Apr 17, 2009 at 19:44 »

Probably not bad for Russell.  Would never have gotten significant playing time behind FWP and Mendenhall.  Got some XP, got his name out there, got a ring.  Now he can try to find a regular gig.

That is, would not have been bad if it werent't the Bungles that claimed him.  Welcome to RB hell.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Apr 18, 2009 at 03:55 »

It's official, he is a Bengal...

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/bengals-claim-russell-jeanty-signs/ff55d0fa-2d82-4807-ac03-3e7200eb4415

Take it fwiw, but I heard that Madden stated there are reports coming out that the coaches were not happy with what Russell was doing during involuntary workouts.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Apr 18, 2009 at 07:19 »

Can't recall where I read it but the Steelers allegedly are very interested in RB/FB Summers/UNLV.  Love his short yardage game as much as his ability to catch out of the backfield.

Summers could make Carey Davis a roster casualty.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Apr 18, 2009 at 10:29 »

But, but, but...who's gonna return KOs?

BANG!!!!!!!!

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Apr 20, 2009 at 07:32 »

Can't recall where I read it but the Steelers allegedly are very interested in RB/FB Summers/UNLV.  Love his short yardage game as much as his ability to catch out of the backfield.

You know, we unloaded Dan Kreider because Davis could block, carry the ball more, and catch much better out of the backfield.  I have yet to see it.

Now, we might unload Davis for a guy who can block, carry the ball more, and catch out of the backfield. 

I will take the same approach to this that many of us took with Heath Miller and were going to "start throwing to the TE."  I'll believe it when I actually see it.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Apr 20, 2009 at 11:18 »

You know, we unloaded Dan Kreider because Davis could block, carry the ball more, and catch much better out of the backfield.  I have yet to see it.

Now, we might unload Davis for a guy who can block, carry the ball more, and catch out of the backfield. 

I will take the same approach to this that many of us took with Heath Miller and were going to "start throwing to the TE."  I'll believe it when I actually see it.

He's going to revolutionize the position.

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Apr 20, 2009 at 17:27 »

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, said RB Gary Russell was released last week to make room under the salary cap to re-sign backup QB Charlie Batch.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09110/964185-66.stm
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 09:13 »

Not surprisingly.

The previous day, it was reported that the cutting of Gary Russell was responsible for signing Batch. Russell was instead cut because Columbus, Ohio, authorities raided a house where Russell was staying with a friend and a sizable amount of marijuana was seized.  This story was confirmed by a source with the Steelers, who added that Coach Mike Tomlin acted immediately upon hearing the news.

Difference between being a starter and SB MVP vs. the #4 RB at the deepest position on the team.

Shoulda known when the Ben-Gals swooped in and singed him.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 09:30 »

Difference between being a starter and SB MVP vs. the #4 RB at the deepest position on the team.

Shoulda known when the Ben-Gals swooped in and singed him.

True dat.  But you also have to wonder what constitutes a "sizable amount."

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 11:15 »

AJ, I don't agree with you.  Sant Holmes had a couple of blunts, less than a quarter ounce of pot, if my understanding is correct.  Let's wait to hear what a "sizeable amount" constitutes before we get all cynical.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #22 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 11:33 »

I'm thinking that "sizable amount" is something between the amount one could pack in his helmet and a compressed Casey Hampton.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 12:32 »

I'm thinking that "sizable amount" is something between the amount one could pack in his helmet and a compressed Casey Hampton.

Are we talking Bam Morris sizeable, or Nate Newton sizeable?

:300lbsofpot:

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #24 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 12:36 »

I forget which of those guys got it worse.  But to clarify - not a truck full of compressed Hamptons.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 12:37 »

Ha. I guess when it smells like a rose it is.

Maybe this doesn't rule out a draft day trade to get Parrish.  Love to have him as KR/ 4 WR
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 14:20 »

Eh, this comment was meant tongue in cheek as we obviously haven't heard the details yet.

Still, no one's going to convince me otherwise that star players don't generally get more of the bene of the doubt than backups or reserves when it comes to their run-ins with the law.  If the roles were reversed and Russell was the one that got busted for a drunk & disorderly, then a domestic, then a misdemeanor possession charge, I have a hard time believing that he'd still be on the team.  Being a UDFA, the team has very little invested in him.  A R1 pick is a different story.

I'd also be very surprised if this "sizeable amount" is anything near what others have jokingly suggested.  If that were the case, he'da got insta-busted for possession/possession with intent to distribute or something to that effect.  From the blurb I read at Scouts, he didn't even get arrested which may explain why a team (granted, it is Cincy) inked him so quickly to a deal.  All Bengal jokes aside, I'm bettin' that they didn't know about this incident.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 18:44 »

If I were going to bet on one guy I think we'll take Sunday, it'd be Frank Summers.  As short yardage back, he can replace Smoke Russell.  As FB, he can replace Carey Davis.  That's easy math, two for one.

The smoke just hastened Gary's departure.  He gets a better chance at being up the ladder elsewhere, as he wasn't leapfrogging Meldy, Shard, and Faswilly.  Not to mention, he has a SB highlight moment, a ring.

AJ may be right that stars get leniency, fringe guys get shown the door.  You know what?  That's life, dude.  Even with a noble and magnanimous organization such as the Ambassador's.  Think of it this way: if you're on the bottom of the 52, you have less margin of error, more impetus to work 110%.  Think James Harrison, once he wised up.  Or a guy like Larry Foote, who was JAG his first couple of years.  You have to work your way, be the first guy in and the last guy out.  Not the guy who is opening the door and letting out the pungent ambiance when the pizza dude shows up for delivery.  Easy contrition for Holmes, less so for... well, would we blink if Arnold Harrison got cut likewise?  A guy fourth at his spot?  Dallas Baker? 

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 09:58 »

And now released by the Bengals...

Also released in the wake of the sixth-round selection of Abilene Christian running back Bernard Scott was running back Gary Russell, 10 days after the Bengals picked him up off waivers.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/perry-cut/4255c578-e488-4324-a6c9-a9524baa79b5
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 17:15 »

And now released by the Bengals...

Also released in the wake of the sixth-round selection of Abilene Christian running back Bernard Scott was running back Gary Russell, 10 days after the Bengals picked him up off waivers.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/perry-cut/4255c578-e488-4324-a6c9-a9524baa79b5

SING HARRY RESSLER!!1

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 17:16 »

If I were going to bet on one guy I think we'll take Sunday, it'd be Frank Summers.  As short yardage back, he can replace Smoke Russell.  As FB, he can replace Carey Davis.  That's easy math, two for one.

Nice call, BTW.

Pages: 1 2 ... 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: