Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 30, 2014 at 23:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers release RB Gary Russell  (Read 2980 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 09:30 »

Difference between being a starter and SB MVP vs. the #4 RB at the deepest position on the team.

Shoulda known when the Ben-Gals swooped in and singed him.

True dat.  But you also have to wonder what constitutes a "sizable amount."

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 11:15 »

AJ, I don't agree with you.  Sant Holmes had a couple of blunts, less than a quarter ounce of pot, if my understanding is correct.  Let's wait to hear what a "sizeable amount" constitutes before we get all cynical.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #22 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 11:33 »

I'm thinking that "sizable amount" is something between the amount one could pack in his helmet and a compressed Casey Hampton.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 12:32 »

I'm thinking that "sizable amount" is something between the amount one could pack in his helmet and a compressed Casey Hampton.

Are we talking Bam Morris sizeable, or Nate Newton sizeable?

:300lbsofpot:

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #24 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 12:36 »

I forget which of those guys got it worse.  But to clarify - not a truck full of compressed Hamptons.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 12:37 »

Ha. I guess when it smells like a rose it is.

Maybe this doesn't rule out a draft day trade to get Parrish.  Love to have him as KR/ 4 WR
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 14:20 »

Eh, this comment was meant tongue in cheek as we obviously haven't heard the details yet.

Difference between being a starter and SB MVP vs. the #4 RB at the deepest position on the team.

Still, no one's going to convince me otherwise that star players don't generally get more of the bene of the doubt than backups or reserves when it comes to their run-ins with the law.  If the roles were reversed and Russell was the one that got busted for a drunk & disorderly, then a domestic, then a misdemeanor possession charge, I have a hard time believing that he'd still be on the team.  Being a UDFA, the team has very little invested in him.  A R1 pick is a different story.

I'd also be very surprised if this "sizeable amount" is anything near what others have jokingly suggested.  If that were the case, he'da got insta-busted for possession/possession with intent to distribute or something to that effect.  From the blurb I read at Scouts, he didn't even get arrested which may explain why a team (granted, it is Cincy) inked him so quickly to a deal.  All Bengal jokes aside, I'm bettin' that they didn't know about this incident.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 18:44 »

If I were going to bet on one guy I think we'll take Sunday, it'd be Frank Summers.  As short yardage back, he can replace Smoke Russell.  As FB, he can replace Carey Davis.  That's easy math, two for one.

The smoke just hastened Gary's departure.  He gets a better chance at being up the ladder elsewhere, as he wasn't leapfrogging Meldy, Shard, and Faswilly.  Not to mention, he has a SB highlight moment, a ring.

AJ may be right that stars get leniency, fringe guys get shown the door.  You know what?  That's life, dude.  Even with a noble and magnanimous organization such as the Ambassador's.  Think of it this way: if you're on the bottom of the 52, you have less margin of error, more impetus to work 110%.  Think James Harrison, once he wised up.  Or a guy like Larry Foote, who was JAG his first couple of years.  You have to work your way, be the first guy in and the last guy out.  Not the guy who is opening the door and letting out the pungent ambiance when the pizza dude shows up for delivery.  Easy contrition for Holmes, less so for... well, would we blink if Arnold Harrison got cut likewise?  A guy fourth at his spot?  Dallas Baker? 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 09:58 »

And now released by the Bengals...

Also released in the wake of the sixth-round selection of Abilene Christian running back Bernard Scott was running back Gary Russell, 10 days after the Bengals picked him up off waivers.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/perry-cut/4255c578-e488-4324-a6c9-a9524baa79b5
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 17:15 »

And now released by the Bengals...

Also released in the wake of the sixth-round selection of Abilene Christian running back Bernard Scott was running back Gary Russell, 10 days after the Bengals picked him up off waivers.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/perry-cut/4255c578-e488-4324-a6c9-a9524baa79b5

SING HARRY RESSLER!!1

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: