Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 01, 2014 at 15:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 [13]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 13 - Dec 6 - Oakland  (Read 6073 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #120 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 08:57 »

I disagree about the corners.  Ike is a fine corner, and Gay has potential to grow.  That sounds shitty, but at worst, he's a solid nickel.  We just drafted TWO corners who need coached up.  There's talent in that CB group, but it will need developed.  Where we absolutely BLOW is at safety.  Behind Troy, NADA.  Ty Carter?  Yeah, celebrate a nice TFL in the run game you shit.  He couldn't cover a dead cat with a blanket.  Clark?  Where the MOTHERfuck was Clark on that Murphy TD with Ike covering the corner zone?  He was supposed to be able to hand him off to Clark, who played up on whoever was in the crossing route.  Fucking blew the deep cover, when he is the ONLY guy who has that responsibility.  And this isn't the first time he's blown deep coverage, if you recall (e.g., LAST FUCKING WEEK).  Absolutely love how Clark lays the wood, wouldn't mind re-signing him cheap... for depth.  But we need a beast at FS to replace him, a guy who's going to bring an impact closer to what Troy brings.  There are a bunch of FS guys (who can also play SS) who are R1 talents, none of them named Taylor Mays, fuck that POS.  If we can't get Berry, 3rd year soph Earl Thomas out of Texas is worth a look, Morgan Burnett out of GA Tech looks like a playmaker, and Nate Allen out of S. FLA, the latter two of whom might be there in mid-2 for us.

As I mentioned in another thread, 2/3 of our DL is degraded, with Kirschke/Hood/Eason <<< A. Smith, and 2009 Hampton < 2008 Hampton < 2007 Hampton... etc.  Get my point?  No pass rush, DL wears down as the game goes on, we can't get to the QB effectively so the DBs invariably get toasted.  Upgrade LDE and NT (Hood is, IMO, RDE material), and see if those young CBs don't improve.

Maybe get Mt. Cody R1, one of the FS R2, and go from there.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #121 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 09:50 »

Apparently it was Carter who had the deep coverage on that long TD pass.  He blew it, and that's why Tomlin put him on the bench, Mundy in his place (to knock Gay into next week, commit a penalty inside the 5, and give up the winning TD pass) and then Burnett into Mundy's old place (to drop the ball that would have sealed the win.)

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #122 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 10:08 »

But, what to do about the secondary?

Clark was a guy I used to think was a solid, dependable player. Apparently that's only the case if Troy is healthy and our pass rush is working. Otherwise, he stinks in coverage.

Our options, then, are to bring in a free agent FS or draft one high. If we draft one, even in the first round, I don't see our pass coverage improving in 2010 while the rookie learns the defense. But you have to start somewhere, I guess.

I agree that Ike is a fine corner. I have no problem with Ike, and even the plays where's he missed the ball lately happen to every corner. It's the other side where we have a problem, and I'm not sure that Gay is the answer anymore, or that the two guys we drafted this year can be counted on.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #123 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 10:25 »

You re-sign Clark cheap, or get a cheap FA FS.  And yes, you draft a FS early, and start him sooner than later.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #124 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 11:42 »

I still don't get how that hit by Mundy was a penalty.  It wasn't helmet to helmet and it damn sure wasn't late.  Not that it really matters, because I'm convinced Oakland gets in the EZ anyway, but I just didn't understand that call.  As Dierdorff pointed out, if anything it should have been PI on Clark.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #125 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 15:33 »

I still don't get how that hit by Mundy was a penalty.  It wasn't helmet to helmet and it damn sure wasn't late.  Not that it really matters, because I'm convinced Oakland gets in the EZ anyway, but I just didn't understand that call.  As Dierdorff pointed out, if anything it should have been PI on Clark.

I hated that call. I don't understand the helmet-to-helmet rule when the runner lowers his head all of a sudden and helmets collide -- why is that a penalty? does the defensive player have to friggin' guess where the ball carrier's head is going to be?
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #126 on: Dec 08, 2009 at 11:27 »

Too bad Gay didn't get knocked silly in the 1st qtr.  Would have been a lot less falling down and a little more coverage, regardless of who was back there.

It wasn't helmet to helmet

I must have been watching a different game or not wearing my homer glasses.

I thought that was a BS penalty when watching in real time.  On the replay I saw why it was called.  Right or wrong, if they launch themselves with the crown of their helmet at a, in this case receiver, to hit them in the helmet, it is going to draw a penalty.  If the head is up and he is looking at the target, and hits receiver in the chest, or head, with a shoulder, it has nearly the same effect and is not penalized.

Either way it seemed like they were going to score.

Sweed could have made up for all his transgressions, like Tiger, by catching that ball on the last play that hit him in his hands.  That boy must be retarded.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Pages: 1 ... 12 [13]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: