Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 21, 2014 at 21:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 12 - Nov 29 @ Baltimore  (Read 13145 times)
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #90 on: Nov 29, 2009 at 22:53 »

And they had James Farrior covering Ray Rice in man coverage on 4th and 5?!

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #91 on: Nov 29, 2009 at 22:56 »

I'm hoping the Steelers are one of the six teams that contacted Charlie Weiss about being OC next season. Who does Bruce Arians think he his? Bobby Fischer? (sp?)

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #92 on: Nov 29, 2009 at 23:01 »

Goddam....the best play of the night was DD's footspeed.  The color analyst talks about it for the past hour, and we don't even try it.

Fuck BA.

Damn straight.  I don't blame any player for this one.  O and D played well enough.  Don't like giving up yet another 4th quarter lead, but we had chances.  Dixon didn't play well in the second half, but that's not a huge surprise.

#1 - how the hell don't you try to make something happen at the end of the half?  At the 40 with 49 seconds and a timeout and you do nothing?

#2 - I saw Dixon take off twice the whole game.  Huge gain called back on a penalty, and a touchdown.  I was hoping coming into this game we'd see some originality in playcalling.  Dixon isn't Ben, but you call the exact same game as if he were?  Play to your young player's strengths.  Run some Wildcat, put him on the edge, designed draws, something.  Hell, we've run a draw with Ben before why the hell not with a QB that can actually run?

Tomlin and Arians get this loss.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #93 on: Nov 29, 2009 at 23:20 »

Typically poor offensive gameplan notwithstanding, this one is on the D. In particular, the pisspoor coverage on the outside. This team really could use an infusion of talent in the defensive backfield.

Still, fuck the Gavens. These dicks are celebrating like they won the fuArcking SuperBowl (I'm in Balmore, watching the game. You should see the hacks on the local post-game show gushing). What did they do? Barely squeak by against a kid who has no fucking experience? AT HOME? ON SUNDAY FUCKING NIGHT?!?

We might or might not be done. But mark my fucking words, the Shitbirds won't win in Pittsburgh.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
vcuram

« Reply #94 on: Nov 29, 2009 at 23:46 »

Horrible effort from the secondary tonight.  Piss poor tackling, not being able to find the ball in the air, and clutching and grabbing down the field really did them in.  It's amazing how good playing with Troy makes some of those scrubs look.

We win this game with either Ben or Troy playing.  Having Kemo would have been big too, although the Oline played above average tonight.

There's nothing to say about BA that hasn't already been said.  If Tomlin doesn't get rid of him after this year, I'll seriously question his ability to run this team.  SING SHIRLIE VICE!!!

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #95 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 05:53 »

I agree would have been nice if the D had kept the Ravens off the board in the fourth, and yes tackling/coverage wasn't that good.  However, bottom line is we gave up 17 in regulation.  That should have been enough.  And at the end of regulation they stepped up and pushed the Ravens out of FG range.  Got a bunch of sacks. 

However, we got the ball twice in OT and couldn't score, primarily because of poor playcalling.  It was even apparent to the guys in the booth that Dixon was struggling with reading the coverages.  Put him in a situation where he can use his athleticism to move the chains if his first or second read isn't there. 

And when you give the other team the ball in OT in FG range, can't expect your D to bail you out again.

I still put it on coaching.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #96 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 08:23 »

I agree would have been nice if the D had kept the Ravens off the board in the fourth, and yes tackling/coverage wasn't that good.  However, bottom line is we gave up 17 in regulation.  That should have been enough.  And at the end of regulation they stepped up and pushed the Ravens out of FG range.  Got a bunch of sacks. 

However, we got the ball twice in OT and couldn't score, primarily because of poor playcalling.  It was even apparent to the guys in the booth that Dixon was struggling with reading the coverages.  Put him in a situation where he can use his athleticism to move the chains if his first or second read isn't there. 

And when you give the other team the ball in OT in FG range, can't expect your D to bail you out again.

I agree, although at Balty is a tough spot for your first NFL start.  I was pretty pleased with Double D, and think he can develop at reading the defenses better.  But yeah, same old same old, BA can't get into the flow of the game and calls stupid shit.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #97 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 08:57 »

I agree, although at Balty is a tough spot for your first NFL start.  I was pretty pleased with Double D, and think he can develop at reading the defenses better.  But yeah, same old same old, BA can't get into the flow of the game and calls stupid shit.

The problem is that DD also did enough to win the game. The defense only gave up 17 points in regulation, but watching that game, they were not good...AT ALL. They could not get a key stop all game long and it just got worse in regulation. I came into the game expecting DD to get killed and look like he's never taken a snap at QB at any level (playing at Oregon is a far cry from the B-More defense on Sunday night) and I would have felt better if that was why we lost. It was even worse to see that I was completely wrong about Dixon and that we lost because the defense couldn't stop the vaunted Ravens offense anytime it mattered. The fact is that this defense is not that good without Aaron Smith and Troy. With both of them (or maybe even one of them) playing, we win, but I completely disagree with someone saying that with Ben playing we win. It wasn't Dixon that cost us the game, and I'm not sure Ben would have played better. That being said, I hope he gets better because obviously long run, I feel better with BR than with DD.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Manimal

« Reply #98 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 09:00 »

I think there's a few things we don't know yet about whether it was playcalling or Dixon's reading -- but on that one OT series where Mendy gets 6 on first down and we followed that up with two long bombs and a punt, on one of those plays, the deep routes totally cleared out the coverage and somebody (I think Miller) is wide open underneath, but Dixon missed it.

I was befuddled by the playcalling as it seemed like we could have really gashed them with Mendy and Parker in the 4th Q and OT, and we could have had Dixon do some roll-outs where he could run or pass. We didn't do those things and I'm puzzled about that, particularly since for several drives in a row, all we needed was a FG to win it. Why were we trying to get it all at once? guys were open deep, but still.

With Ben in there, we could have won this thing by 20. Balty sucks this year.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #99 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 09:06 »

When it went to OT, I kept thinking the kid is gonna be hard pressed to get thru this w/o a turnover.

We were already at midfield, so even if we punt, we most likely have them pinned. I would have much preferred another long pass to #17 (maybe inbounds this time), but what can you do now.

I would have taken the tie last night.
Pages: 1 ... 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: