Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 18, 2014 at 02:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 12 - Nov 29 @ Baltimore  (Read 13543 times)
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #100 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 09:22 »

Yeah, I agree. On 3rd down, i was very worried about a pick.

And it's amazing: defensive players on other teams actually catch the ball. For some reason, I didn't think that was allowed.
Joetorious

« Reply #101 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 09:44 »

I think there's a few things we don't know yet about whether it was playcalling or Dixon's reading -- but on that one OT series where Mendy gets 6 on first down and we followed that up with two long bombs and a punt, on one of those plays, the deep routes totally cleared out the coverage and somebody (I think Miller) is wide open underneath, but Dixon missed it.

I was befuddled by the playcalling as it seemed like we could have really gashed them with Mendy and Parker in the 4th Q and OT, and we could have had Dixon do some roll-outs where he could run or pass. We didn't do those things and I'm puzzled about that, particularly since for several drives in a row, all we needed was a FG to win it. Why were we trying to get it all at once? guys were open deep, but still.

With Ben in there, we could have won this thing by 20. Balty sucks this year.

I asked myself the same questions and agree with everything, though, as Kluisi said, I'm not sure Ben would have made that much of a difference, as Dixon played pretty solidly.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Manimal

« Reply #102 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 09:57 »

I don't know if Dixon played all that well. If I'm wrong about this, I'd be happy to hear other perspectives. But here's what I saw:

Dixon handled the plays called on the first few series well enough. After that, he looked pretty shaky, locking onto receivers and missing open guys (in both senses of the word - not seeing an open guy and throwing instead to a covered guy, and not being accurate). The Ravens have had trouble in coverage all year, and I think Ben would have ( or at least should have ) shredded them last night.

My take is that our Defense played well enough to win. That was a good offense they played last night, one that also had the advantage of knowing that it probably wouldn't take a sizzling scoreboard to beat us. They knew they could be patient, a luxury they wouldn't have had if they had to face Ben. That we didn't contain their offense at every turn is not a surprise to me. They are good. Our offense didn't exactly control the ball well in the second half, either, so some of the blame for a tired defense falls on that.

On offense our gameplan was a mixed bag. We came out and ran the ball way better than I thought we could against a veteran defense expecting us to run. Dixon was successful throwing off of play-action. While I can understand, from a gameplanning perspective, that we might not have been able to do this all night as Balty adjusted to what we were doing, I don't at all understand all the bomb-throwing in the 2nd half, particularly on all the 2nd-and-shorts Mendy and the O-Line set up so beautifully time and again.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2009 at 10:01 by Manimal » Logged
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #103 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 12:03 »

How about on 2nd and 6 calling a QB draw if they blitz.  There was more than one opportunity for that call.  Yeah the Ravens D, and any D in the NFL for that matter, is fast, but if Double D gets past the blitz, like the TD run, he is going to go for 20 - 30 yards.  How about a 20 yard gain from our own 40 in OT or late 4th qtr?  I'd take it.  If stopped for no gain it's the same result as the hail mary pass plays that had very very little chance of working. 

Dixon did pretty good.  His numbers weren't all that great in the 2nd half, but he didn't do anything stupid and didn't take a bunch of sacks like BB would have.  The pick he threw, like Otis, I was expecting down the stretch and that wasn't a bad throw, but a good play by the D and a helluva catch.

BA is the shits.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #104 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 13:05 »

How about on 2nd and 6 calling a QB draw if they blitz.  There was more than one opportunity for that call.  Yeah the Ravens D, and any D in the NFL for that matter, is fast, but if Double D gets past the blitz, like the TD run, he is going to go for 20 - 30 yards.  How about a 20 yard gain from our own 40 in OT or late 4th qtr?  I'd take it.  If stopped for no gain it's the same result as the hail mary pass plays that had very very little chance of working. 

Dixon did pretty good.  His numbers weren't all that great in the 2nd half, but he didn't do anything stupid and didn't take a bunch of sacks like BB would have.  The pick he threw, like Otis, I was expecting down the stretch and that wasn't a bad throw, but a good play by the D and a helluva catch.

BA is the shits.

What BV said.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #105 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 16:37 »

Dixon's first half was pretty amazing considering the situation.  I think it seemed more amazing than it was b/c my expectations were so low.

2nd half started well but Dixon was over throwing guys regularly by mid 3rd quarter.

Dixon might be a great backup next year but I knew he wasn't going to lead us to a win in OT.  I was hoping for a defensive turnover, putting us in FG range.

We need to IR Batch and sign a vet QB.  Dixon will learn to better read defenses but he's got a ways to go.  Not a critical knock on him...it's just where he is in his progression.  Dixon played as well as he's able to at this point.

The D played well but allowed some critical big plays.  I've read thoughts that Timmons had a great night while others said he had a poor night.  He has some issues with tackling.  On the long run for Rice, he went in with his shoulder and it looked really awkward.  Willie Gay is getting picked on each week.  Again, some good stuff from him with the fumble but he's really lacking in coverage skills.

I don't care much about the stuff with Ward.  I lay somee of the blame on the coaches for not handling the QB situation well; both Ben's and Batch's injuries.  Should have had a vet QB instead of Palko and should have had that guy in by Tuesday.  Keep the Ravens guessing with Ben, Dixon and vet QB.  Instead, the Steelers FO and coaching staff made it seem that Ben was a sure thing. Obviously, Ward didn't know until Saturday.  Pivotal game that everyone knew was a key to keeping the #5 seed.  And I think we all knew it would take a miracle for Dixon to win it. 

I don't know what to think about the rest of the season. 

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #106 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 18:02 »

Also, can FWP not come in every 3rd series?  If Mendy is tired, give him a few plays off.  Otherwise, keep Parker's dancing on the sidelines.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #107 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 19:39 »

Also, can FWP not come in every 3rd series?  If Mendy is tired, give him a few plays off.  Otherwise, keep Parker's dancing on the sidelines.

I thought Parker did OK.  I just don't care for BBA's arbitrariness when it comes to a RB rotation.  BBA has no idea what it means to go with the hot hand.  His hand is only hot when he goes to wipe and he gets a sudden onslaught of the grippers.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #108 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 19:54 »

I thought Parker did OK.  I just don't care for BBA's arbitrariness when it comes to a RB rotation.  BBA has no idea what it means to go with the hot hand.  His hand is only hot when he goes to wipe and he gets a sudden onslaught of the grippers.

I just thought Mendy was doing really well.  And I agree, my issue is the rationale behind putting Parker in. 

Just because.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #109 on: Dec 01, 2009 at 07:50 »

I don't know what to think about the rest of the season. 

Here's what I think:  if Ben comes back healthy they have a good shot at running the table.  If both Ben and Troy come back healthy, I'll be effing pissed if they don't run the table and take a good run at the playoffs.  The Patsies aren't what they used to be, Indy ain't what people think they are and everyone knows what Sandy Eggo is.  What's not to like?   Just need to get a foot in the door.

Now, facing the Saints in the Super Bowl?  That's another story.

Get well, boys.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 ... 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: