Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 24, 2014 at 12:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 03 - Sep 27 @ Cincinnati  (Read 6310 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #80 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 06:54 »

Sick fact is, we're going to spend the entire season chasing the Ravens and hoping we can fit into the playoffs.  Not fun.  We went from needing to beat the Bengals to hoping we can beat the Browns.

Sorry, but the Bengals flat out suck.  And we lost to them.  We humiliated them, and lost.  I haven't seen us lose to a team we had drawn and quartered this badly since... when, the Maddox-Oakland debacle?!?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #81 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 07:05 »

Are you thinking of when we played Houston, and outgained them like 420 to 45 yards, setting a record for biggest yardage advantage in a loss?

This wasn't that bad. Tomlin and the boys were overconfident. There was some cocky coaching out there, as though he has a better team than he has right now.

With 9 minutes to go, up by five, the object of the possession is to SCORE. Taking seven minutes to score would be nice. But score in 30 seconds if need be. Instead, we had runs to Willie up the middle against a stacked run defense on 1st and 2nd downs. Ugh.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #82 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 07:53 »

If there is some way to find a silver lining in this shitty, inexplicable loss, it's that it should hopefully point out the fact that Tomlin and Co. cannot continue to make the same errors in playcalling week after week after week.  Had we squeezed by Chicago and Cincy with the way they have been taking their foot off the gas, that ridiculous strategy may have continued throughout the season.  My hope is Tomlin sees what an absolute mistake it was to not go for the throat of a team who had no answer for Ben out there, and instead felt the need to "impose our will" (aka play Cowher Ball and do nothing but run the football, no matter how ineffective, for the entire second half, regardless of the situation).

My only real complaint with Tomlin thus far in his HC stint is the team's supposed complete lack of understanding of situational football (Red Zone offense, playing with a lead, etc.).  It's time for him to fix or continue to play mediocre (see: flat out bad) football the remainder of the season. 

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Manimal

« Reply #83 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 08:01 »

If there is some way to find a silver lining in this shitty, inexplicable loss, it's that it should hopefully point out the fact that Tomlin and Co. cannot continue to make the same errors in playcalling week after week after week.  Had we squeezed by Chicago and Cincy with the way they have been taking their foot off the gas, that ridiculous strategy may have continued throughout the season.  My hope is Tomlin sees what an absolute mistake it was to not go for the throat of a team who had no answer for Ben out there, and instead felt the need to "impose our will" (aka play Cowher Ball and do nothing but run the football, no matter how ineffective, for the entire second half, regardless of the situation).

My only real complaint with Tomlin thus far in his HC stint is the team's supposed complete lack of understanding of situational football (Red Zone offense, playing with a lead, etc.).  It's time for him to fix or continue to play mediocre (see: flat out bad) football the remainder of the season. 

Very well put. I agree completely.

What's weird about this tendency of Tomlin's is that, in other situations, he's shown a willingness to be daring and unconventional. I don't get it. I was saying "Cowher ball" when they started clock-killing way early. Of course, Cowher was automatic with a lead as big as the one Tomlin's boys had yesterday.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #84 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 09:18 »

Balty looks like the real deal this year.

Meh.  Maybe it's because I just flat out hate them and don't want it to be true, but color me unimpressed with victories over KC, Cleveland and an injury-decimated San Diego club.  We'll get a feel for how legit they are in New England next week.  Can't fault them for beating the teams on their schedule, and they most certainly look better than the Steelers right now, but if Pittsburgh played that same schedule (including SD without LT) they would be sitting at 3-0 as well.

It doesn't bode well that the Steelers can't finish games against teams they should beat though.

IMO, KC and Cleveland are pretty similar teams to Cincy (except at the QB position), and SD is better (no matter how many players they are missing). Balty is beating the teams they are supposed to and we are not...simple as that. And that win over the Titans is not looking nearly as good now as it did in week 1.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #85 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 09:22 »

I'm sorry, but I give the goat of this game to Tomlin.

Add to the list of issues the decision to not go for it on 4th and goal inside the 1.  We went for it last week and made it in the same situation.  And that Reed confidence thing I was considering is crap, since had we made it, the extra point would have been longer than the FG.

2 weeks in a row we take our foot off the gas and lose to a weaker team.

Folks can say they're not impressed by Baltimore's wins, but they're beating the crap out of the weak sisters they face.  We are most decidedly not.

With the defense Pittsburgh has, a 4th and goal from inside the 1 is always a go-for-it decision IMO. If the team can drive 99 yards and score against them, then they deserved the +7 points, but I'd say that 95% of the time, if we don't score, it ends up being even in the points (i.e. - they end up punting) and sometimes we'll end up with a sack or holding in the EZ for a safety. With the amount of times that Harrison gets held (called or not), I'd put that at about 50-50 odds.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #86 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 09:32 »

I'm sorry, but I give the goat of this game to Tomlin.

Add to the list of issues the decision to not go for it on 4th and goal inside the 1.  We went for it last week and made it in the same situation.  And that Reed confidence thing I was considering is crap, since had we made it, the extra point would have been longer than the FG.

2 weeks in a row we take our foot off the gas and lose to a weaker team.

Folks can say they're not impressed by Baltimore's wins, but they're beating the crap out of the weak sisters they face.  We are most decidedly not.

With the defense Pittsburgh has, a 4th and goal from inside the 1 is always a go-for-it decision IMO. If the team can drive 99 yards and score against them, then they deserved the +7 points, but I'd say that 95% of the time, if we don't score, it ends up being even in the points (i.e. - they end up punting) and sometimes we'll end up with a sack or holding in the EZ for a safety. With the amount of times that Harrison gets held (called or not), I'd put that at about 50-50 odds.

I was aghast at that call, for the reasons mentioned.  But I saw how thoroughly we were dominating the stat line, whatever the score, and allowed myself the mindset of thinking we couldn't possibly lose, regardless of how many points we left on the field. 

Mrs. F., ironically, remarked at the time that she hoped it wouldn't be the difference-maker in the game.  I waved her off dismissively.  No way we could lose that game.  No way.  Not against that fetid slop of a team the Bengals fielded.

Seriously.  They are bad.

And we lost to them.

The reality of that is killing my brain.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Manimal

« Reply #87 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 09:47 »

Regarding the 4th-and-1 call -- I was surprised we didn't go for it, but I figured that

1. Tomlin has justifiably little confidence in our 4th-and-1 or near-goal-line offense and that

2. He didn't want Cincy to have any momentum considering we had just driven from our 8 yard-line.

This call isn't my biggest beef with the coaching, or even in the top 5, considering that, yes, we totally suck in these situations. It's the only damn thing we should practice for the next week. Red Zone offense and defense, both have been terrible.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #88 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 10:07 »

I'm more concerned about the defense at this point.  Does TP really make *that* much of a difference?  They've given up 10+ 4th quarter points two weeks in a row.  And scored none of their own!?

Is this the law of averages spanning the seasons to come back and bite them?  They sure won a slew of games this way last year.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Manimal

« Reply #89 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 10:13 »

I'm more concerned about the defense at this point.  Does TP really make *that* much of a difference?  They've given up 10+ 4th quarter points two weeks in a row.  And scored none of their own!?

Is this the law of averages spanning the seasons to come back and bite them?  They sure won a slew of games this way last year.

Maybe depth is an issue. The defense has seemed tired in the 4th.

They're doing their job in that they're shutting down teams emphatically in the first quarter. Our offense hasn't taken advantage of this by taking leads that the defense can then exploit. I don't think our defense is great right now, but I think it's good enough, and the main problem is on offense.
Pages: 1 ... 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: