Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 08:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 03 - Sep 27 @ Cincinnati  (Read 6129 times)
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #90 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 10:16 »

Maybe this was already mentioned, but on the lighter side...

Anyone see Chad do the Shhhhhhhhhhh gesture? Has this ever been done by a player on the home team before? Seemed retarded, even for CJ.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #91 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 10:32 »

Maybe this was already mentioned, but on the lighter side...

Anyone see Chad do the Shhhhhhhhhhh gesture? Has this ever been done by a player on the home team before? Seemed retarded, even for CJ.

I saw that silly bitch do that. 

>>> HELLOW, HE AMA RETART!!11!!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #92 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 10:33 »

Dammit jonzr, give me a link to that spectacular site you own. 

www.fire.....what was it again?

Hey, somebody posted over there!
http://firebrucearians.com/index.php?topic=151.0

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #93 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 10:50 »

Football Outsiders has a painless enough recap.

Pittsburgh Steelers 20 at Cincinnati Bengals 23
Mike Kurtz: The Steelers really need to abandon the Willie Parker project. I know the offense is awful at run-blocking, but he's probably the weakest of the three running backs the Steelers have on their roster. Rashard Mendenhall and Mewelde Moore might not be anything special, but they at least have the strength to run forward and get a yard, yet they keep throwing Parker in short-yardage situations, and IT NEVER WORKS. EVER. Such a well-coached team, but for some reason overwhelming loyalty to a mediocre player.

Cincinnati is really cheating, firing on the outside in an attempt to hem in and sack Ben Roethlisberger. The problem, then, is that the Steelers have been running Parker right past the ends and getting decent yardage. Cincy needs to figure out a better way of getting to the quarterback, or at least work some more inside stuff.

Rey Maualuga down after a Steelers quarterback sneak touchdown, moving but not walking off.

Steelers were looking a bit dicey for a while, where the Bengals stopped gunning with their defensive ends. Then again, that opened up the passing game, and Roethlisberger just picked them apart on mid-range throws.

Maualuga had his knee sat on, apparently. He's out.

Vince Verhei: Except for the pick-six, where he threw shallow and his receivers ran deep, Roethlisberger has been really, really good today. Holding the ball a long time, of course, but never too long. He always manages to find a receiver and hit him with a good pass.

(Limas Sweed drops a touchdown pass.)

Mike Kurtz: Which, of course, is then dropped. In the end zone.

*fumes*

Steelers games are usually well-called, if sometimes wonky. Pittsburgh has run pretty much every first down in the second half, which isn't a great idea even if you have a good running game, much less a mediocre one.

I can't figure out what's wrong with the Steelers. It's not like it's an overwhelmingly green team that builds up leads and then get too excited and just deflates, it's a very experienced team that went out there and just beat the royal hell out of the Bengals for one half, then did pretty much nothing in the second.

Maybe it is complacency -- I didn't see one blitz in the entire fourth quarter, which was baffling, and it looked like they were trying to run out the clock with a bad running game and 5 minutes left in the game. I'm sure Cincinnati made some adjustments, but I can't imagine anything that would lead to such a severe turnaround. Just no idea.

Bill Barnwell: Well, here's what they did on first down in the second half:

Five-yard pass to Heath Miller
Willie Parker rush for no gain
Willie Parker rush for one yard
Willie Parker rush for two yards
Willie Parker rush for a two yard loss
Nine-yard pass to Willie Parker
Willie Parker rush for three yards
Willie Parker rush for no gain
Incomplete pass (final play of the game)
What's the pattern you see there?

Mike Kurtz: Yeah, I mentioned that before. That can't explain all of it, but that's definitely part of it.

Mike Tanier: The first-down runs have a lot to do with it. The dropped touchdown pass has a lot to do with it: if I recall, they also had another big pass play where the receiver stepped out of bounds. Some of it has to do with facing two decent opponents; the Bears are pretty good, the Bengals better than expected. A couple of tough losses to some good early opponents is nothing to get alarmed about.

Vince Verhei: On Cincinnati's eventual game-winning drive, they twice spiked the ball to stop the clock. The first time they had two timeouts; they still had one left for the second spike. They still had a timeout in their pocket when the game ended, but they had wasted two vital downs. They overcame this to win, but it was some lousy, lousy clock management. What was Marvin Lewis saving those timeouts for? Is he going to call one during film review tomorrow?

Rob Weintraub: Still recovering from finally -- finally! -- beating those blasted Steelers at home. Game started totally Bengal-like, which meant getting smeared in every facet. But in most un-Bengal-like fashion, they hung in, made some plays, got some breaks (a lot of them), and actually took advantage to win. Give Marvin Lewis credit -- that first spike was dumb, yes (less of problem with the second one -- they had a mass personnel switch after the fourth-down play to Brian Leonard), but he has somehow transformed the team to one that's extremely tough, mentally. Remember, before the BS deflection play in Week 1, Cincy was awful for 56 minutes, then drove 90-plus yards for what should have been the winning score, and an unbeaten record. After the horrifying loss, they shrugged it off and whipped Green Bay in Lambeau. I can't remember a Bengals team that didn't cave at the first sign of adversity. Not this bunch.

On the subject of tough, Maualuga came back in, and made a couple more tackles -- thank God.

Vince Verhei: If they were making a mass personnel switch, that's all the more reason to call timeout.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #94 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 11:32 »

Football Outsiders has a painless enough recap.

Pittsburgh Steelers 20 at Cincinnati Bengals 23
Mike Kurtz: The Steelers really need to abandon the Willie Parker project. I know the offense is awful at run-blocking, but he's probably the weakest of the three running backs the Steelers have on their roster. Rashard Mendenhall and Mewelde Moore might not be anything special, but they at least have the strength to run forward and get a yard, yet they keep throwing Parker in short-yardage situations, and IT NEVER WORKS. EVER. Such a well-coached team, but for some reason overwhelming loyalty to a mediocre player.

Raises a very good question. By this logic, the Steelers will extend Parker sometime this week.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #95 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 11:59 »

I'm more concerned about the defense at this point.  Does TP really make *that* much of a difference?  They've given up 10+ 4th quarter points two weeks in a row.  And scored none of their own!?

Is this the law of averages spanning the seasons to come back and bite them?  They sure won a slew of games this way last year.

There was a post at some point in time pointing out that 1 play in each of about 5 games last year was the difference between a W and a L and a .500 record.  Fortunately, those went our way last year, but not this year, so far.

As mentioned, the play calling is incomprehensible.  The runing plays on 1st and 2nd downs leaving 3rd and 10's.  Maybe the Bengals intercepted the play calling airwaves to Ben's helmet, becasue there is no wat Arians could possibly be that stupid.  It was Cowher ball all right, except for the fact the result was 3rd and 10 instead of 3rd and 1 with Bettis in the backfield.

How about deactivating Sweed and activating "whatshisname" from the practice squad.  Crap I can't remember his name.  FB/HB that was the only one that coudl run the ball in pre season.  I believe he is on the PS.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #96 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 12:17 »

I'm more concerned about the defense at this point.  Does TP really make *that* much of a difference?  They've given up 10+ 4th quarter points two weeks in a row.  And scored none of their own!?

Is this the law of averages spanning the seasons to come back and bite them?  They sure won a slew of games this way last year.

There was a post at some point in time pointing out that 1 play in each of about 5 games last year was the difference between a W and a L and a .500 record.  Fortunately, those went our way last year, but not this year, so far.

As mentioned, the play calling is incomprehensible.  The runing plays on 1st and 2nd downs leaving 3rd and 10's.  Maybe the Bengals intercepted the play calling airwaves to Ben's helmet, becasue there is no wat Arians could possibly be that stupid.  It was Cowher ball all right, except for the fact the result was 3rd and 10 instead of 3rd and 1 with Bettis in the backfield.

How about deactivating Sweed and activating "whatshisname" from the practice squad.  Crap I can't remember his name.  FB/HB that was the only one that coudl run the ball in pre season.  I believe he is on the PS.

I can see it now: we cut Sweed and bring up Redman; Sweed signs with the Ravens and promptly begins hauling in 8 catches for 100 yards with regularity, while Redman sits alongside Mendenhall on the bench...

The 4Q is all about pressuring the QB when they do these long drives.  We have, to date, had exactly ZERO in the way of late drive QB pressures, to say nothing of drive-killing sacks or picks.  I think the DL's age is a factor, and especially Casey's conditioning, but maybe 80% of the blame is on 56 and 92 for just not getting there.  At all.  Ever.  These guys are two of the best in the business, and they can't get to Cutler or Palmer, with their respective line woes?  For crucial 4Q stops?  Huhwhat?

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #97 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 12:59 »

Speaking of the aged DL, was there a Ziggy Hood sighting yesterday?  I heard not his name.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #98 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 13:14 »

Can't be any worse than what we have now, but there's got to be someone better to cut than Sweed. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, but IMO he's way behind Wallace on the depth chart.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #99 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 13:43 »

Speaking of the aged DL, was there a Ziggy Hood sighting yesterday?  I heard not his name.

As posted on the BSG board, Bill Walsh one said that "late pass rush is the key to NFL football."  Last year, in crunch time, we seemed to apply the pressure, via the DL, via the OLBs, to get critical drive-killing sacks, third- and fourth-and-insanely-long, and key turnovers.  Not this year.  Not a fucking peep.

I think the DL age and conditioning is catching up.  Casey's nonexistent in the 2H now.  When opposing teams are dink and dunking their way downfield, WTF is Casey really doing for us?  We need someone who can use speed to get in the QB's face, and IMO dropping Hood into the middle of the rush would be a HUGE boon.

Course, we can't use rookies on the defense.  It's policy.

Pages: 1 ... 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: