Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 31, 2014 at 21:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 02 - Sep 20 @ Chicago  (Read 4710 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Apr 20, 2009 at 08:39 »

Week 02 - Sep 20 @ Chicago

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
RoundTripperKipper
N00b

« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 10:26 »

No Urlacher to run over this year.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 11:25 »

I saw bits and pieces of the GB/CHI game and noticed him on the sideline.  Injured?  Guess I'll check the Yahoo player report.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 11:50 »

I saw bits and pieces of the GB/CHI game and noticed him on the sideline.  Injured?  Guess I'll check the Yahoo player report.

Out for season.  Dislocated his wrist. 

Wrap that shit up and play, wuss.

Seriously though, that kinda sucks for him.  Been battlin' injuries over the last few and can't seem to stay healthy.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 12:47 »

Out for season.  Dislocated his wrist. 

Wrap that shit up and play, wuss.

Seriously though, that kinda sucks for him.  Been battlin' injuries over the last few and can't seem to stay healthy.

'Roids make a man brittle.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
RoundTripperKipper
N00b

« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 13:28 »

He has the Paris Hilton virus. He has not been the same since he gave her the high hard one.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 14:06 »

Seriously, didn't they used to play through those nagging little injuries in the old days?  You know, back when they practiced in the burning heat of summer during the week and played in the frigid cold of winter on Sundays.  Back before helmets when they had to wear buckets on their heads.  You know, the olde days when, if the field wasn't muddy, they'd turn the water hose on until it was.  Except they didn't have hoses or running water, so they'd have to go down to the crick and use their head buckets to haul that damn water.  You know, the old days, when things were better.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2009 at 18:51 »

Steelers 35 Da Bears 6.  Ben 280 and 3 TDS: Ward, Williams and Moore.  Parker 105 and a TD and the D will score 1 TD.  I will be at the game 5Yd line Steelers side 14 rows up.

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2009 at 22:17 »

For some reason, this game makes me very nervous.

Hopefully, Cutler's demons continue to plague him this week, but I'm not counting on it.  If he gets on the same page as his WRs, that team will be tough.

Too much to ask for back-to-back multiple INT games?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2009 at 08:32 »

If he gets on the same page as his WRs...

That's the key.  At least two of those 4 picks were Cutler and the WRs not being on the same page, or the WR breaking the route.

When we have the ball, it's still going to be tough to run.  Their DL > our OL, and they maintain decent run defense stats.  We may do better than against the TTs, but I'd take the under on an o/u of us rushing 100 yards total.  Frankly, if they want to get some ground game going, put Mendenhall in for the tween the tackles runs, because he'll consistently get the grunt yards, and if he gets iso on the LBs he's got the strength to break free that FWP doesn't.  Four rushes last week and people are killing on the kid.  Use Parker later in the game and as 3rd down back, when the DL is gassed. 

Oh, and how do you gas them?  Well, since BA won't just let Ben run the NH from the get, you have to hope we exploit weaknesses in their passing game.  Sweed is out, and I actually thought Sweed-on-Vasher would have been a great matchup, but Wallace should be fine in that role.  We'll probably see MacDonald a bit, too.  Basically, throw at Vasher; repeat.  He's not a starting CB. 

They're going to bring some pressure off the edge with Ogunleye, who should be able to whup Colon for at least 2 sacks.  If Tommie Harris is out at DT, we may get some breathing room to run inside, especially if Essex and Hartwig can combo whoever the replacement is.  But Essex looked like a lit bag of shit in run pro last week, so we probably won't exploit that matchup effectively.  I'd deactivate Spaeth and activate Johnson as an extra in-line blocker.

When they have the ball, we have Harrison matched up on old man Pace.  Probably the best LT in the game... a decade ago.  Expect Harrison to get all up in Cutler's grille, normal allowable holding notwithstanding.  Elwood should likewise have a good matchup against Chris Williams, who I liked coming out of Vandy, but who looks out of position at RT.  Williams is finesse, not power, and that means the Woodman Cometh, and I confidently predict he will simply throw Williams out the fuckin' way more than once. 

Cutler doesn't mind making plays on the fly, so I'm not sure how many time's we'll sack him, but we can harry him into throwing some bad balls.  If we don't get in his face, he will get the ball to the receivers, whether they can catch the ball or not.  Their best bet is broken coverage a la Fitz in XLIII.  Those WRs just don't have the polish to run routes that will take the short yardage, and they don't have the stones to take punishment from our secondary over the middle.  Most important, on deep routes, even if our guys cover them "close enough," I expect we'll be disruptive.

Last week, Ratliff and Burnett were both inactive; with Pola out, Wexell reports those two will be on STs coverage of Hester.  Smart move.  It's doubly smart, because it also looks like we'll flood the backfield with speedy skeeters who will harass Hester and Bennett and whoever else they throw out there.  Cutler simply hasn't got much to work with beyond Hester's speed, and there's no way they've "gotten on the same page" in a week.  We may not get 4 picks, but they will struggle to get the passing game going.

The real weapons for the Bears are Olsen and Forte.  We've had years of struggles against TEs, and Timmons would have been a superb matchup on Olsen with that speed.  We'll see if Fox has any jets.  I think Olsen and Forte could be the two top receivers this week, Olsen getting the 12-18 yard chunks over the middle, and Forte getting screens and passes to isolate him on the DBs.  Forte will be a dangerous guy if he can get the ball in his hands as a receiver. 

The Bears struggled against the Pack's new 3-4, and I would hope we can do as well.  We did better against the Titans' rush this year over last, but Forte is capable of of having a big day.  He just strikes me as the type of runner (multi-threat) who sometimes breaks out on us.  If the front 3 play their game, we'll keep him bottled, especially if Fox and Farrior play smart.  I think we'll see a few broken tackles from guys like Ike and Gay, though.

I think this will be slightly higher scoring than the TT game, but expect slow going for a while.  Look for the usual Arians shit, and then Ben getting into a passing rhythm.  Reminiscent of last week.  Also, expect Cutler to go to Olsen and Forte a lot.  Scores by quarter:  1Q: P 3, C 0; Q2: P10, C3; Q3 P 13, C 10; Q4 P 20, Chi 16.

We will, as always, make this more difficult than need be.

The wild card is the two potent special teams returners.  If we contain Hester, we should win stright up.  He may be the key to their offense, if they're consistently starting from the 40, say.  Of course, Logan may do the same for us.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: