Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 21:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 02 - Sep 20 @ Chicago  (Read 4446 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2009 at 11:37 »

If he gets on the same page as his WRs...

That's the key.  At least two of those 4 picks were Cutler and the WRs not being on the same page, or the WR breaking the route.

When we have the ball, it's still going to be tough to run.  Their DL > our OL, and they maintain decent run defense stats.  We may do better than against the TTs, but I'd take the under on an o/u of us rushing 100 yards total.  Frankly, if they want to get some ground game going, put Mendenhall in for the tween the tackles runs, because he'll consistently get the grunt yards, and if he gets iso on the LBs he's got the strength to break free that FWP doesn't.  Four rushes last week and people are killing on the kid.  Use Parker later in the game and as 3rd down back, when the DL is gassed. 

Oh, and how do you gas them?  Well, since BA won't just let Ben run the NH from the get, you have to hope we exploit weaknesses in their passing game.  Sweed is out, and I actually thought Sweed-on-Vasher would have been a great matchup, but Wallace should be fine in that role.  We'll probably see MacDonald a bit, too.  Basically, throw at Vasher; repeat.  He's not a starting CB. 

They're going to bring some pressure off the edge with Ogunleye, who should be able to whup Colon for at least 2 sacks.  If Tommie Harris is out at DT, we may get some breathing room to run inside, especially if Essex and Hartwig can combo whoever the replacement is.  But Essex looked like a lit bag of shit in run pro last week, so we probably won't exploit that matchup effectively.  I'd deactivate Spaeth and activate Johnson as an extra in-line blocker.

When they have the ball, we have Harrison matched up on old man Pace.  Probably the best LT in the game... a decade ago.  Expect Harrison to get all up in Cutler's grille, normal allowable holding notwithstanding.  Elwood should likewise have a good matchup against Chris Williams, who I liked coming out of Vandy, but who looks out of position at RT.  Williams is finesse, not power, and that means the Woodman Cometh, and I confidently predict he will simply throw Williams out the fuckin' way more than once. 

Cutler doesn't mind making plays on the fly, so I'm not sure how many time's we'll sack him, but we can harry him into throwing some bad balls.  If we don't get in his face, he will get the ball to the receivers, whether they can catch the ball or not.  Their best bet is broken coverage a la Fitz in XLIII.  Those WRs just don't have the polish to run routes that will take the short yardage, and they don't have the stones to take punishment from our secondary over the middle.  Most important, on deep routes, even if our guys cover them "close enough," I expect we'll be disruptive.

Last week, Ratliff and Burnett were both inactive; with Pola out, Wexell reports those two will be on STs coverage of Hester.  Smart move.  It's doubly smart, because it also looks like we'll flood the backfield with speedy skeeters who will harass Hester and Bennett and whoever else they throw out there.  Cutler simply hasn't got much to work with beyond Hester's speed, and there's no way they've "gotten on the same page" in a week.  We may not get 4 picks, but they will struggle to get the passing game going.

The real weapons for the Bears are Olsen and Forte.  We've had years of struggles against TEs, and Timmons would have been a superb matchup on Olsen with that speed.  We'll see if Fox has any jets.  I think Olsen and Forte could be the two top receivers this week, Olsen getting the 12-18 yard chunks over the middle, and Forte getting screens and passes to isolate him on the DBs.  Forte will be a dangerous guy if he can get the ball in his hands as a receiver. 

The Bears struggled against the Pack's new 3-4, and I would hope we can do as well.  We did better against the Titans' rush this year over last, but Forte is capable of of having a big day.  He just strikes me as the type of runner (multi-threat) who sometimes breaks out on us.  If the front 3 play their game, we'll keep him bottled, especially if Fox and Farrior play smart.  I think we'll see a few broken tackles from guys like Ike and Gay, though.

I think this will be slightly higher scoring than the TT game, but expect slow going for a while.  Look for the usual Arians shit, and then Ben getting into a passing rhythm.  Reminiscent of last week.  Also, expect Cutler to go to Olsen and Forte a lot.  Scores by quarter:  1Q: P 3, C 0; Q2: P10, C3; Q3 P 13, C 10; Q4 P 20, Chi 16.

We will, as always, make this more difficult than need be.

The wild card is the two potent special teams returners.  If we contain Hester, we should win stright up.  He may be the key to their offense, if they're consistently starting from the 40, say.  Of course, Logan may do the same for us.

Well, duh.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2009 at 09:10 »

Well, due to budgetary considerations we dropped Sunday Ticket this year... the last few, there were only a couple of games per season not being televised.  This year?  Well, you guessed it... The NFL shits are running the Ratties game instead.  So, options are to hit a bar, try to find it online, or just wait for the replay. 

ZAMIR COBB!   flipoff

According to pro Football Weekly, Sweed was limited Wednesday but did not practice Thursday.  Looking increasingly unlikely he will play. 

Ty Carter had a personal day off Wednesday, but he and the vets given Wednesdays off (A. Smith, Ward), were back Thursday.

For the Bears, DE Mark Anderson did not practice Wednesday but was limited Thursday.  Tommie Harris limited Wednesday but practiced Thursday.  CB Trumaine McBride did not practice Wednesday or Thursday.

Thought I'd heard Trumaine might replace Vasher.  Guess not. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2009 at 09:27 »

This is always my backup in case the games aren't televised.  Haven't used DirecTV in years.  

https://fieldpass.nfl.com/nflfp/secure/registerform

Get yer pc on your favorite game update site and listen to Bill Hillgrove and Tunch Ilkin call the action.  Next best thing.  Sometimes I'd even start DVRing the game so I could synch it up with the streaming audio just to get their call - esp if the TV announcer was somebody I despised.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2009 at 09:29 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2009 at 11:15 »

If anyone is looking for a site to watch the games online for free, shoot me a PM.

I watched the last 2 pre-season games on my PC and the quality was pretty good. Next season I'll have to try hooking up a laptop to my TV and see how that looks.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2009 at 12:10 »

If anyone is looking for a site to watch the games online for free, shoot me a PM.

I watched the last 2 pre-season games on my PC and the quality was pretty good. Next season I'll have to try hooking up a laptop to my TV and see how that looks.

Are you holding out so the quality is better for you...don't want to post it up for everyone to use. J/K...I'll be watching it on the ticket since this Northern Virginia/DC is Ravens territory too (never mind that there are WAY more Steelers fans here than Ravens fans).

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2009 at 13:34 »

Are you holding out so the quality is better for you...don't want to post it up for everyone to use.

You know how it goes. Some fucking tool would immediately send the link to the NFL.  :rolleyes:
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #16 on: Sep 20, 2009 at 13:05 »

Yeah baby, PIT @ CHI on my local CBS!

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #17 on: Sep 20, 2009 at 15:16 »

HERE WE GO!!!!!

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #18 on: Sep 20, 2009 at 15:17 »

Damn, it's Phil Simms.   cussing

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #19 on: Sep 20, 2009 at 15:32 »

SPAETH!

That's right, when it's 4th and 1 on the goal line - pass that bitch in!

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: