Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 17:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 [21] 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 01 - Sep 10 - Tennessee  (Read 11002 times)
ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« Reply #200 on: Sep 10, 2009 at 23:21 »

Oh ya. If Ben is on the Pats, he'd still be a very productive QB, if not more so. Tom on the Steelers? Put that guy in a body bag, quick release not withstanding.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #201 on: Sep 10, 2009 at 23:31 »

Check it out, Peter King was tweeting during the game http://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/3903972996

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #202 on: Sep 10, 2009 at 23:44 »

Dude, Bruschi and Woodson just said that Ben was one of the best QBs there is.
Pretty outstanding.

But again...Troy.  Madden, you will rue the day that you put him on the cover.  DAMN YOU!!!
I am going to go cry myself to sleep now.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #203 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 10:46 »

OK, my thirty-seven cents.

• I'd rather open with a tough win against a team like the Titans and know what we have to work on, than open with a blowout of some patsy and think we're better than we are.  Sure, it's deja vu all over again, but at least the coaches cannot be complacent with this offense.
  • As mentioned before, the RB-OL conundrum is a chicken and egg argument.  Few back in this league would have any luck running behind this line; that said, FWP lacks in vision what he packs in speed.  As a between the tackles runner, Mendenhall showed he can gut out an extra yard or two (when he's not running into 7), but dumbass Arians promptly yanked him.  If you're going to get one guy into a rhythm, make it 34.  Of the HBs, Moore is the only guy who's had success, because he can be a receiving threat.  He's just more versatile against a defense like the Titans.  But then again, Mendenhall was a decent receiver in college, which is why Arians again refuses to consider throwing him the rock.
  • Playcalling has too loom large in the combined shart that is our running game.  I don't think the BA playbook contains any running plays that go outside the tackles.  Way to exploit FWP's speed, there, Bruce.  No screens, pitches, or anything that stretches the field.  Mendenhall was used to running behind a spread, with big holes to exploit at Illinois.  This is like going from fishing in the Atlantic to fishing in a mudhole, there ain't no marlin waiting.
  • Why didn't we try a single end-around or reverse?  Anything to shake up the futility?  Oh, and by the way, we have some speedy new weapons who could be part of that: Mike "4.28 40" Wallace... Stefan "Joystick" Logan...  Get these guys outside the linebackers and see what they can do.
  • Essex was a POS early on, and if he's an improvement over Darnell Stapleton, then I'm George Clooney.
  • The OL was decent in PB, with caveats: early on, they weren't, and that was a 4-man rush.  Tennessee straight up whipped them through the gaps, though later seemed to change tactics and were neutralized.  Did they ever rush more than 4?  Fuck, when we play teams like the Ravens (or who watch what Philly did last year) and bring changing fronts, that PB won't cut it.  The RB was just miserable all night.  I've tried to give Zierlein some slack for working with guppies, but at what point do you say, "Screw this, we need to go back to the drawing board?"  How about last year?
  • One play, Kemo was out of position, leaving Starks to block any one (or more) of three rushers.  0-for-three.  Kemo in general looked lost.  Loved the replay where they showed what a POS he was on the trap, absolute dreck in pulling.  Hartwig got tooled on at least one snap, just inadequate recovery.  So glad we signed him to an extension.  Colon may have been the best of the bunch, oddly.  Not called once for cheating back off the line.  Both guards should fear replacement, soon.  Essex has been along for the ride for 5 years, Kemo about the same, and neither look to have the skills or awareness necessary.  Brilliant.  Bring up Foster now, Urbik soon.
  • Logan and Sepulveda did give us some nice field position early, which we promptly squandered.  Still, a good sign, especially going forward against lesser foes.  Stay tuned.  This could be exciting.  Logan had some nice runs and Sepulveda was booming.
  • Wallace got more looks than Sweed, who I don't think was targeted at all.  Maybe Wallace has won that contest, maybe not, couldn't see coverage on Sweed.  Did see one play where he delivered a Ward-style block, so don't write off guys like Sweed entirely... Sometimes their contributions are overt, other times more subtle.
  • Burnett and Ratliff were inactive, so when Troy went down, there were times Carter and Mundy were both on the field.  Not optimal, especially since this was two teams passing on each other in lieu of an effective rush attack.  The secondary was getting beaten by Collins, but we didn't have the best mix back there, and at least one pass to Gage Ike was lined up wrong.  We have good DBs, but that was a bit of a slop.
  • Calls were pretty bad, but that PI on Troy had my BP to 200.  Just totally fucked. 
  • Tank was horrible on blocking.  Just not cognizant, picking up no one.  He needs to adjust to the speed of the game.
  • OK, we opened the game with three passes to the sideline for screens.  As Collinsworth noted, the CBs were playing 10 yards off.  It was sort of anomalous, but we did get some positive yardage.  Why didn't we go back to that at all?  And more to the point, you run it three times, why not then have those same WRs go deep after lulling the DBs into thinking we're dinking it to the flat, and see if you can test them deep right off the bat?  Whiz at least would try testing deep early, whether it succeeded or not.  I don't see Arians trying that consistently.  And when he does, and it fails, he puss-balls it from then on, never testing again.  A deep threat can help open up the running game, right?
  • I can forgive Hines the fumble.  It was stupid, could have put the game away, but I have a hard time begrudging Ward ANY errors he might make, HOFer that he is, and as rarely as he fucks up.
  • On the flip, Tone was just clutch.  Over and over again, brilliant and consistent.  I think he's shown flashes of brilliance already, but the consistency was the thing he lacked before.  He was just never (XLIII aside) the go-to guy that Ward had been.  He was a nice threat used occasionally.  If he keeps this up, he will have one hell of a season.  Just a thought: maybe giving up the chronic helped his concentration?
  • Clutch, Part II:  Heath Miller.  Ben was really getting into a rhythm with him.  Nice to see.  Could be a big year for Big Money.
  • Kenny Britt is a talented rookie, but he was getting receptions way too easily.
  • Ty Carter ain't no Troy Polamalu.  Despite some flags, some of which 43 deserved (FM, hit OoB), Polamalu was just amazing.  As noted in the Power Rankings, that frenzy can spell trouble, as Troy has been dinged before, and we have several positions where injury to defensive starters can change the season. 
  • Hampton was getting pushed out of the way by Mawae.  Hoke came in and did it right.  Then 98 settled down some.  I worry about Hamp's conditioning still.  No good to see him getting pushed off the line.
  • Next up: at Chicago.  Not as tough as Tennessee, but tough enough.  10 days rest is nice though. 
  • Comparing the 08 and 09 Steelers-Titans games... Last year the Titans toted the rock 51% to 49% passing, this year 41% to 59%... Steelers ran the ball 35% last year and 33% this year, so at least our running game was consistently pusillanimous.  Average gain was down for both teams this year, even though it seemed more wide open: TT 5.4 PS 5.3 last year, TT 5.2 PS 5.1 this year.  Ben had 624 passing yards in the two games combined.  Ben's YPA was pretty consistent: 7.6 in 08, 7.5 this year.  Collins went down from 7.1 to 6.7.  Last year we got 3.0 YPC, this year 1.6.  Titans went from 3.8 to 3.4.  Again, the word for our rushing game is pusillanimous.  Its pusillanimity cannot be overstated.  The Logan Effect, AKA Joystick power: last year's KR averaged 15.0, this year 29.0.  If you think Logan was over-hyped, we had 50 KR last year.  If we have 50 this year, that's an extra 700 yards in field position.  In fact, the Titans play kick coverage very tightly, so expect Logan to have better runs against lesser teams.  BBR's passer rating was 89.6; in 08 against Tenn it was 86.4; his career average is 89.4.  Collins posted an 81.1; last year he posted a 101.9; his career rating is 73.8.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #204 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 11:00 »

For all the detail of my game prediction, when Mrs. Finny and I (if we even exist) went out for dinner last night, I was telling her what I thought about the game and mentioned it would probably be lower scoring than I had predicted.  "It'll probably be a 13-10 kinda game, actually," I said, as I dug into my plate of wings.

Note to self: stop over-thinking.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #205 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 11:32 »

Just a thought: maybe taking up the chronic will help your concentration?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #206 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 11:38 »

Fair enough.  Send me some, I'll let you know how it works.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #207 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 11:53 »

Fair enough.  Send me some, I'll let you know how it works.

Now watch Finny's mailbox fill to the brim. 

Penso:  Did I send that yet?  Well, better get that in the mail before I forget!

Later, that same evening

Penso:  Did I send that yet?  Well, better get that in the mail before I forget!

Next day

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #208 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 12:05 »

The most disheartening drives were the two where we got a good run on first downs, of 7 or 8 yards each.

Then we ran on 2nd-and-short, and got very little.

Then we ran again on 3rd-and-short, and got stuffed, or lost yards. Punts to end each of these drives.

Hartwig whiffed something awful on one of the 3rd-and-shorts. RB had a DT in his face 2 yards before getting to the line.

Kemoateau almost never hits anyone when he's pulling. He runs through the gap like he's Jim Brown, waves his hands at someone who sidesteps his oafish lumbering, and then wipes out on the turf like he's eight years old on a slip-and-slide. This was a signature Faneca play and, I think, it's time to rip it out of the playbook.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #209 on: Sep 12, 2009 at 17:02 »

Some of the best goddamned punting I think I've ever seen from this team.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 ... 20 [21] 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: