Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 21, 2014 at 20:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best historical picks per round  (Read 737 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Apr 23, 2009 at 09:31 »

The local am sports talk outfit was talking about this for the Cowboys this morning.  Was surprised that Roger the Dodger was taken in the 14th round or some such, never knew that.

So, how would this work out for the Steelers?  Best 1st round pick ever? It's getting harder to argue that just at the QB position.  And can you limit it to QB?  Best 2nd rounder?  Third rounder?  It's likely easier to name 'em the deeper you go.  Is James Harrison the best UDFA ever?  He could have been a 12th rounder in the 1970's.

If comparing two players, same round and position, should the pick # be considered?  Bradshaw or Roethlisberger?  Say they both end up with 4 rings each and comparable stats ... is Ben better 'cause he was picked later?

These things are so subjective.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 10:01 »

Yeah, it's subjective, but the 212 has ESPN Insider best-ever picks by team.  Kind of funny with some of the newer franchises.

Saw the Bengals list included Keith Rivers.  I guess the criterion is getting your jaw smashed by a real HOFer.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 10:28 »

Cool, will check that out.  Was trying to drum up a blog post but w/out doing too much work. 

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 14:40 »

The local am sports talk outfit was talking about this for the Cowboys this morning.  Was surprised that Roger the Dodger was taken in the 14th round or some such, never knew that.

Unfortunately, I'm old enough to actually remember some of the particulars.  He was drafted in the the 10th round in '64 because he was the QB at Navy.  Somebody drafted him that same year in the AFL Draft.  Back in the day, they didn't let you out of your commitment to the military if the Pros called.  Both teams considered it a throwaway pick 'cause he wouldn't be able to get out of the service till '69.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 15:08 »

Ah.  Well, a 10th rounder wasn't so much of an investment.  Do you recall if, sans the military commitment, he would have been a much higher pick?  Presumably so, but are we talking 5th round or 1st?

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 15:42 »

Ah.  Well, a 10th rounder wasn't so much of an investment.  Do you recall if, sans the military commitment, he would have been a much higher pick?  Presumably so, but are we talking 5th round or 1st?

Probably would have.  He had a good career at Navy, & won the Heisman.  It wasn't discussed at the time, because it wasn't a possibility.  Looking over to drafthistory.com, there weren't a lot of marquee players.  Here's the lot of 'em:

1.5 Pete Beathard Lions USC
1.7 Bill Munson Rams Utah State
2.15 George Mira 49ers Miami (FL)
2.16 Jack Concannon Eagles Boston College
4.45 Perry Lee Dunn Cowboys Mississippi
6.73 Billy Lothridge Cowboys Georgia Tech
6.81 Henry Schichtle Giants Wichita State
7.87 Dick Shiner Redskins Maryland
8.109 Gary Wood Giants Cornell
8.112 Larry Rakestraw Bears Georgia
10.129 Roger Staubach Cowboys Navy
10.131 Ron Smith Rams Richmond
11.142 Bob Berry Eagles Oregon
13.172 Jerry Rhome Cowboys Tulsa
16.220 Jack Ankerson Cardinals Ripon

Oddly, the Cowboys drafted QB's in the 5th, 6th, 10th, & 13th rounds that year.  Talk about a shotgun approach! 

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: