Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 08:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ike restructures  (Read 649 times)
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« on: Apr 23, 2009 at 11:54 »

Hopefully the first of a couple vets restructuring their deals. They need all the cap room they can get.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4091464
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 17:04 »

Some guys can be extended with cap savings, but I forget who.

It's going to be tought to extend everyone we want, though.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 19:35 »

Troy, Ben, anyone who has more that 1 year remaining can be restructured.  Hines can be, if he were to extend for another year or two.  That seems to make sense to do now that Harrison is done, but I'm not Colbert.

Need room for the draftees and hopefully being able to obtain a veteran WR for an insurance policy.  It'd be ashame to have to resign Lee Mays if Hines/Ton got hurt Smiley

Personally, I hope the cap trouble doesn't have to come to cutting Larry Foote.  We have fantastic depth a LB with him, Fox, and Dre as the backups.  If Woodly or Harrison got injured, I think Timmons could be a beast at OLB and Foote would resume his familiar starting position.
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2009 at 19:37 by DCSteelers » Logged
OhioU_Stlrs_Fan

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 20:18 »

Am I mistaken, I was under the assumption that the rookies you draft already have a set cap room set aside from the players you already have. Anyone know for sure how rookie contracts affect the cap room we have, lets say, today, thursday?

I Heart The Steelers.

Movie On Repeat (1) - Death Race
Movie On Repeat (2) -Max Payne None
Song On Repeat (1)- Jay Z - Brooklyn We Go Hard
Song On Repeat (2)-Here We Go, Duh its Playoff Time!
Book i cant put down -Dean Koontz - Shadowfires
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 08:29 »

Am I mistaken, I was under the assumption that the rookies you draft already have a set cap room set aside from the players you already have. Anyone know for sure how rookie contracts affect the cap room we have, lets say, today, thursday?

My understanding is that the Rookies have a "cap within a cap".  There is a hard ceiling that you can spend acquiring rooks, but that number still has to fit inside the overall team's salary cap.  I musta killed the brain cell that was storing the exact figure, but each team would need to clear up to "X" to sign their draftees.  I don't believe that they need to have the space available on Draft Day... but they need to clear it before the pups start signing contracts.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 09:57 »

In addition, the rookie cap is scaled somewhat.  Meaning that teams with higher picks have a bigger rookie cap than teams with lower picks.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: