Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 29, 2014 at 13:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 Draft discussion thread  (Read 12544 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #30 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 18:47 »

Sounds like a guy they can plug into the rotation next season.  Where will he go?  Is this a NT in the Steelers scheme? Looks like he's a DE.  Cool.

I'm thinking that with their target on the OL gone they stayed true to their board and took the next guy they liked.  FWIW, Prisco loved the pick.  Haven't seen much else yet so far as evaluation goes.

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2009 at 18:49 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 18:54 »

I'm satisfied, if not thrilled, with the pick. Just not much else that we could do, with both the top centers gone, and probably reaches at OL.

Kind of wish that a few more highly-touted picks were there, so that we might have traded out of the first, but, satisfied with this pick for what it is -- depth at a crucial position.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #32 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 19:04 »

Saw a tweet from btsteelcurtan that while Ziggy is a DE in the base defense, he'd be a DT on passing downs.  He's an every down player, you gotsta like that.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 19:08 »

I'm sorry, I hate this pick.  I think they made a big mistake.  Know they talked to him at Indy, didn't understand it then, don't understand it now.  Keystone ability of a 3-4 DE (not to mention NT) is run-stopping, and teams ran the fuck over Hood.  

You've got Butler, Maualuga, Gilbert, out there.  Hell, Ron Brace should be a serviceable 3-4 NT.  Delmas is a fucking freak.  Hood ain't even on my board for the 3-4.  Hope to fuck we're switching to a 40 front because in the 30 Hood is a liability.  Was sad to see Mack and Wood go, Oher and Davis were in trade-up territory, and again, BUTLER was on the board.

This is making me very unhappy.  Hope to hell we don't fuck up the rest of this draft.  I seriously believe this is our first R1 screwup in a while.  We don't even need an OLB and I would have taken Connor Barwin as an OLB just on measurables.  

Hey Mike and Kev, try the fuck not to fuck up R2.  K?  In case you didn't notice, R1 was owned by the Browns and Ravens.  I gotta say, if they think they're taking a couple of years and meating this guy up to play nose, they're on fucking dope.  DE is equally inexplicable.  Hood is, at best, a middlin' 40 front under tackle.

Fuck fuck fuck.

BTW, Darius Butler = Percy Harvin, of the defense, minus the pot and injuries and character shit, who can play on offense, and would be a starter at CB.  Gilbert = much higher upside for DE.  MUCH.  Much.  Brace is the last viable 34 NT for now.  Oh I can't recap it.  We should have traded DOWN.  Down DOWN down.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #34 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 19:15 »

NE just traded up for back-to-back picks to take Brace and Butler.  They still have two more 2nd rd picks.  Damn.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 19:17 »

Patriots moved up like hookers in need of crack for Brace.

Forgot Britton was on the board at 1.32, that's much better IMHFO than Hood.  

And the Pats move up again and snag Butler.  Muuuh.  Ther.   Fuckers.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 19:21 »

Chung + Brace + Butler = Patriots are kicking everyone's ass.  They're right back in it, as usual.  God I HATE them.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 19:23 »

BTW, Bills' 1.12 is a huge bust potential (Maybin), but they took 2 guys on my radar (C Wood, and CB Byrd) and are also having a fine overall draft.  If they take their tike with Maybin (love those PSU defenders?) they may avoid the bust factor.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 19:24 »

Our lack of testicular fortitude is costing us.  Didn't try to make a move...seemed clueless that Mack and Wood might get snatched away from us...took a questionable pick at 1.32.

Not even a little bit happy about this.  Browns made some really smart moves...looks like we're sitting on our hands again.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 19:25 »

Our lack of testicular fortitude is costing us.  Didn't try to make a move...seemed clueless that Mack and Wood might get snatched away from us...took a questionable pick at 1.32.

Not even a little bit happy about this.  Browns made some really smart moves...looks like we're sitting on our hands again.

And the Browns aren't even the day's best, until they prove it.  They're just potentially one of the best.

Panthers took Everette Brown who will BUST so that makes me happy.  Misery loves, well, Scotch.

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: