Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 30, 2014 at 19:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 Draft discussion thread  (Read 13351 times)
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #20 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 18:07 »

Hood, Britton, Nicks...

Who will be a Steeler?

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
TucsonSteeler

« Reply #21 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 18:11 »

Britton Britton BrittonBrittonBritton BrittonBrittonBritton BrittonBrittonBritton Britton
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 18:21 »

How do they not trade up for Oher after  he falls into the 20s?...and to make matters worse, they let Baltimore snag him?  Great. 

!@#$%^&*&$#@#$%^&*()

Honestly, if they didn't make that move for an OT in R1, I'd prefer they not pick one now.  Go off the beaten path and take the BPA still on the board...Malauga.  Best LB corp in the league.  Or, Gilbert.  Focus on OL in R2 even if it means a trade up.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 18:24 »

How do they not trade up for Oher after  he falls into the 20s?...and to make matters worse, they let Baltimore snag him?  Great. 

!@#$%^&*&$#@#$%^&*()

Honestly, if they didn't make that move for an OT in R1, I'd prefer they not pick one now.  Go off the beaten path and take the BPA still on the board...Malauga.  Best LB corp in the league.  Or, Gilbert.  Focus on OL in R2 even if it means a trade up.

I'd rather we trade down or for a #1 next year to some turd team like the Raidahs.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #24 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 18:33 »

Sorry but not happy with that pick

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #25 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 18:36 »

Interesting.  I wonder if they project him more as a DE. 

They better take OL with 2 of their next 3 picks.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
TucsonSteeler

« Reply #26 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 18:40 »

jcharding

« Reply #27 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 18:43 »

Here is the ESPN/Scouts card on Ziggy

Production   2   2005-'06: Hood starts in seven of 22 games played during first two seasons and combines for 59 tackles, including 7.5 TFL. 2007-'08: Hood starts all 28 games during his final two seasons and finishes with 111 total tackles, including 15 TFL and 10 sacks.
Height-Weight-Speed   2   Possesses prototypical height and adequate-to-good bulk. Also shows excellent straight-line speed for the position.
Durability   2   Missed three full games with a broken foot as a sophomore in 2006 but started all 28 games during his final two seasons at Missouri.
Character   1   Hard worker on and off the field. No off the field issues to our knowledge. Leads by example and his effort is contagious.
Defensive Tackle specific Traits
Agility/Quickness   2   Displays very good quickness. Fires off the ball and usually wins with quick first-step. Not a great athlete, though. Struggles to change directions fluidly and shows too much stiffness.
Strength/Toughness   4   Has good size for a three-technique type. Is a high-motor player with toughness. Won't back down from a physical matchup but simply lacks good strength to hold his ground. Lacks lower body strength and does not display a powerful upper body, either.
Instincts   2   Shows above average overall instincts. Consistently displays good snap awareness. Does a good job of finding the ball when he gets through the line of scrimmage. Lacks ideal pass rushing instincts and needs to do a better job of setting up offensive linemen with his array of moves. He does a great job of sniffing out the screen and draw plays, though.
Pass Rusher   2   Upside is limited but effort is outstanding. Most of his battles won are because of his quickness. Shows good anticipation and explodes off the ball. Uses effective swim and rip moves. Is relentless as a pass rusher and will never quit fighting. However, he lacks ideal closing burst and doesn't change directions fluidly when he gets through the line of scrimmage. He also struggles to generate a consistent push as a bull rusher if he doesn't win with his first step.
Run Stopper   2   Uses quick first step to penetrate and disrupt. Very active and at his best on the move. Will pursue backside and makes some plays on pure effort. However, he plays too high and with a narrow base. Struggles to hold ground when teams run at him.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #28 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 18:46 »

Props to Ed Bouchette for calling it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09115/965472-66.stm

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Manimal

« Reply #29 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 18:46 »

I like the pick. The Steelers need D-line depth and a guy who can start by 2010, and they weren't going to get that anywhere but in the first round.

Besides, this guy will be better than Brett Keisel by about week 5.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: