Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 26, 2014 at 06:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 [21] 22 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 Draft discussion thread  (Read 12516 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #200 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 16:37 »

Carey Davis' days are numbered over.

There. Fixed it.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #201 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 16:39 »

Urbik's too damned big to be a center.

IMO, they're thinking he's gonna battle Stapleton this year.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #202 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 16:40 »

I feel like I did after my 2006 fantasy draft...not confident at all.

However I have to stay positive...

3 guys on the team this year who did not produce or were hurt last year

Mendenhall
Sweed
Sepulveda

They can contribute...

Brinker

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #203 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 16:47 »

I don't claim to know as much as most people on this board about the draft but on paper it looks good too me. We got depth at 2 positions (WR, CB) of need, and these players can contribute immediately in the return game. We got competition at G with a guy who looks like he slipped due to injury. We got youth and depth along the DL. And we got a fucking MAC truck for 4th and inches on the goal line.

Call me Billy Mumfrey the cock-eyed optimist, but I don't really see any head-scratchers here.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #204 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 16:49 »

I feel like I did after my 2006 fantasy draft...not confident at all.

However I have to stay positive...

3 guys on the team this year who did not produce or were hurt last year

Mendenhall
Sweed
Sepulveda

They can contribute...

Brinker

I think we have 2 starters out of this draft for sure in Hood and Ubrik (whether Ubrik plays RT or RG is yet to be seen, but he'll give us more push than Stapleton, if he can unseat False Start Willie at RT). Everyone else is a situational player as far as I can tell. Maybe a decent lsot receiver, if he can hold on to the fucking ball and get off the line, maybe a nickle back of he can learn to tackle. I dunno.

I wonder if my expectations for drafts are just too high. I always thought you should come away with three solid starters, on or two of whom will be stars, and if you have a good draft, then four starters. I only see two here.

Edit: 3 starters in this draft, if you actually consider FB a position that we have a starter at, since FB is really situational for us.
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2009 at 16:50 by Steelerdipwad » Logged

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #205 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 16:53 »

Urbik's too damned big to be a center.

IMO, they're thinking he's gonna battle Stapleton this year.

Bingo.  Staples is a C/G utility backup.

I think I'll warm to Hood.  I have this mental image of a LeBeau 34 DE, and Hood didn't fit it, but they see him as the clay they want to work with.  Liked all the picks thru Harris, so again their DE picks defy my mental stereotyping. 

Urbik can start now; Hood may rotate in situationally, maybe unseat Keisel next year?; Wallace and Summers will see some action, and hopefully Summers will not only make GR expendable but also Carey Davis.  The CBs will be something to watch, they have some vets, but I like our rooks, and they may push Ratliffe back out the door.  Really want to see how they develop Lewis, as FS or CB?

Harris is a practice squadder only.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #206 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 17:17 »

Shipley at 226.  Awesome.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Ytownsteelfan

« Reply #207 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 17:19 »

Really, this was a hell of a draft, no real sexy pics, but solid all around.  2 DL, 2 OL, 2 DB, 1 WR/return
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #208 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 17:20 »

I don't claim to know as much as most people on this board about the draft but on paper it looks good too me. We got depth at 2 positions (WR, CB) of need, and these players can contribute immediately in the return game. We got competition at G with a guy who looks like he slipped due to injury. We got youth and depth along the DL. And we got a fucking MAC truck for 4th and inches on the goal line.

Call me Billy Mumfrey the cock-eyed optimist, but I don't really see any head-scratchers here.

Ditto that.  And consider that it'll be hard for draft picks to make a Super Bowl roster, if nothing else they're upgrading the bottom end with better players who will be groomed for future success.

And as already stated, you have to figure some of these guys (Hood, Lewis, Wallace, Summers) will contribute situationally and Urbik should push to start.

BAM!  They got Shipley.  Should make some of y'all happy.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #209 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 17:21 »

I can't believe they got Shipley in the 7th round, especially after so many centers went higher than expected in rounds 1-3.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Pages: 1 ... 20 [21] 22 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: