Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 20, 2014 at 19:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 [23] 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 Draft discussion thread  (Read 12721 times)
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #220 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 18:55 »

I will preface this comment by saying I am not in any way, shape, or form a draft guru. I don't watch college ball, and pretty much don't follow the players leading up to the draft.

I thought the FO did a pretty good job of addressing needs. Whether you liked the Ziggy pick or not, the team needed an injection of youth on the DL.  Maybe he does turn out to be a bust, but I trust Tomlin and Colbert to get the right guys into the 'Burgh, and if they think he deserved 1.32, then he did.

I like the 3rd round triple play as well. Got a CB, G, and speedster WR/KR. All needs for the defending Super Bowl Champions. Hopefully Wallace doesn't turn out like another 3rd round speedster pick, Willie Reid.

I really like the Summers pick. Buh Bye, Carey "Stopped for no gain" Davis.  And really, 5th-7th rounders are just prospect mining. Maybe you find dirt, but maybe you find a nugget.

I, personally, didn't think Hartwig played that bad last year. Yes, he had his moments, but he had KS, then basically a rook on his right all year. The OL had no continuity last season. Only Hartwig and Colon were consistently in the lineup, and this hurt their ability to play well together. They started to gell at the end, and we all know how last year ended ( with big help from #7), so I actually think the OL will be OK next year. And thats all they have to be, just OK. Ben will do the rest.

I'm a little surprised with all the negativity about Hood, which I think is a little unwarranted. Nobody here is a draft expert, or they would be working for a team/network, so let's just wait to see how he works out before being so down on him. Remember, this organization has won 2 SB's in 4 years pretty much due to their drafting abilities, and have a proven track record with evaluating Day 1 talent. 

Throw in RM, Sweed, and Robo-punter, and there is no reason (other than a regression with the OL) why this team can't be in 7th Heaven come next Feb.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #221 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 19:33 »

UDFA signings coming in...

Estermeyer LS from Pitt

Also

Steelers | Foster signs
 Comment (0)   
Sun, 26 Apr 2009 17:17:09 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed undrafted free-agent OT Ramon Foster (Tennessee). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #222 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 19:36 »

UDFA signings coming in...

Estermeyer LS from Pitt

Also

Steelers | Foster signs
 Comment (0)   
Sun, 26 Apr 2009 17:17:09 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed undrafted free-agent OT Ramon Foster (Tennessee). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Shipley is also a long snapper....

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #223 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 19:38 »

Let's throw in Bell from Fuhrrherrmann, and Preach will rejoice.  BA OT?  He is a monstrously big dude.

I am honestly pissed that we did not take him.  I am even more pissed that we seem so "satisfied" with the current state of our offensive line.

Honestly, can't believe that someone didn't take a guy with Bell's size, strength, and combine numbers.  Unless he flunked the wunderlik, which I seriously doubt.  Just boggles the mind.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #224 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 19:55 »

Draft fried..check back later for UFA signings

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #225 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 20:02 »

Without reading back through the last couple of pages... I thought this was an excellent draft for the Steelers...

RG Urbik that could compete for the starting position in 09... but probably needs to polish the edges for a '10 competition.  A center project in Shipley (who I really like...).  That makes me think at least we have an option in '10 if Hartwig isn't upped.  As I suspected, no pics of tackles...since Colon will be around for 2 more, and Max's situation is still unresolved.

Several DL (Hood, Harris, picks, including a likely replacement for Kiesel in 10' (Hood).  Granted I'd rather would have seen them trade up a few slots to get a higher impact DL, but am satisfied with Hood.

4th CB in Lewis.

Burnett, Wallace, and Summers....  IMO, all of the above have the potential to make the team.

The biggest unanswered question I have on this draft is who will play NT in '10.  Maybe that will be our 1st round pic next year.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #226 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 20:51 »

The biggest unanswered question I have on this draft is who will play NT in '10.  Maybe that will be our 1st round pic next year.

We have 3 big man spots to fill next year, and 2 the following year. We can't afford to take any little guys for the next 2 drafts. That means that the running backs have to hold up, the recivers have to hold up, the CB's have to hold up, and Farrior has to hold up.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #227 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 20:55 »

Even if Hills and Urbik happen by some miracle to work out, the best the steelers do is to cut the sacks to 39 instead of 49, and raise the yards per carry to 3.5. This defense better be ready to carry the team again.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
TwistedLemon

« Reply #228 on: Apr 27, 2009 at 00:05 »

"My reality check bounced"
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #229 on: Apr 27, 2009 at 09:10 »

Pages: 1 ... 22 [23] 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: