Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 20:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kiper & McShay draft grades/quick reviews for AFCN  (Read 808 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Apr 27, 2009 at 11:57 »

Not surprisingly, I agree much more with McShay.

Kiper

Baltimore Ravens: GRADE: B
First-round selection Michael Oher gives this team great flexibility on the offensive line because he can play right or left tackle for the Ravens. Second-round pick Paul Kruger has the ability to play immediately in this league and may push for ample playing time. Also, Lardarius Webb is a little light at around 180 pounds, but with the help of an experienced safety to support him, he can definitely play cornerback in this league. I love the fifth-round selection of inside linebacker Jason Phillips. He's going to fit in very well with this talented group of linebackers.

Cincinnati Bengals: GRADE: B
The Bengals had a lot of picks and they did a good job getting good quality with their quantity. Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga and Michael Johnson are great ways to start a draft for any team. These guys could fill big holes for the Bengals. The fourth-round selection of offensive lineman Jonathan Luigs was a little high, but it wasn't crazy. The late-round picks weren't anything to write home about, but they did a good job of getting strength in numbers and getting some depth for their team.

Cleveland Browns: GRADE: B-
Alex Mack was a good pick at No. 21 and Mohamed Massaquoi was a very good pickup in the second round. I think fellow second-rounder David Veikune was a bit of a reach in that round, but not enough of one to seriously dent the Browns' grade. They didn't get a great receiver in Brian Robiskie in the second round, but he's polished enough as a rookie that he could be a solid possession guy for this franchise.

Pittsburgh Steelers: GRADE: B
First-round selection Evander Hood was a good pick because he should fit in well as a defensive tackle in the Steelers' system. I love third-round wide receiver Mike Wallace's speed. Cornerback Joe Burnett and running back Frank Summers were good selections in the fifth round. Defensive tackle Ra'Shon Harris could be a steal out of the sixth round.

McShay

Baltimore Ravens
Best pick: DE/OLB Paul Kruger (Second round, No. 57 overall)
Worst pick: TE Davon Drew, East Carolina (Fifth round, No. 149 overall)
Bottom line: I was a little surprised to see the Ravens move up to No. 23 overall to take OT Michael Oher, but whether you agree with the move or not there is no denying they got one of the most physically gifted tackles in this year's class. If Baltimore can motivate Oher to play to his potential he should become the long-term answer opposite Jared Gaither. There is not much flash in the rest of the draft, but Kruger is a good fit given his versatility and CB Aldarius Webb and his elite speed were good pickups in the third round. The only real concerns about this group are questions about Oher's work ethic and Webb's past off-the-field issues.

Cincinnati Bengals
Best pick: ILB Rey Maualuga, USC (Second round, No. 38 overall)
Worst pick: RB Bernard Scott, Abilene Christian (Sixth round, No. 209 overall)
Bottom line: The only issue I have with this draft is that the Bengals continue to put themselves in jeopardy from a character standpoint. While the immaturity of OT Andre Smith and past off-the-field incidents for Maualuga can be overlooked, why on earth would Cincinnati draft Scott in the sixth round? He has bounced around to four different colleges and has reportedly been arrested at least five times since high school. Still, you could make an argument that this is the best top-to-bottom group in the draft. Smith could solidify the offensive line, while Maualuga and DE Michael Johnson could thrive under the tutelage of head coach Marvin Lewis. If Maualuga can become more consistent and Johnson can be motivated to reach his considerable potential, they will become very good NFL players. Other great values include TE Chase Coffman in the third round and C Jonathan Luigs in the fourth, both of whom should become starters in the next few years.

Cleveland Browns
Best pick: WR Mohamed Massaquoi, Georgia (Second round, No. 50 overall)
Worst pick: WR Brian Robiskie, Ohio State (Second round, No. 36 overall)
Bottom line: While teams don't usually like to take centers so early in the first round, it's unlikely Alex Mack would have been off the board in the next few picks had the Browns not traded up to No. 21 overall to get him. You can't fault them for bringing Mack into the fold, but they had other priority needs including wide receiver and a pass-rush upgrade that could have been addressed there. Cleveland got its receivers in the next round, though I think Robiskie was a reach because he likely won't turn into anything more than a possession-type No. 3 receiver. I expect Massaquoi to emerge as the bigger playmaker of the two. I also liked the way the Browns hankered down on Day 2 and found versatile, instinctive playmakers like DE David Veikune, LB Kaluka Maiava and DBs Don Carey and Coye Francies.

Pittsburgh Steelers
Best pick: G Kraig Urbik, Wisconsin (Third round, No. 79 overall)
Worst pick: DT Evander Hood, Missouri (First round, No. 32 overall)
Bottom line: The Steelers traded out of the second round and got value in the third round in what is a comparatively lean overall class. Urbik is a big, tough guard who fits the classic Steelers mold and will bolster the interior of the offensive line. Hood has some versatility and can fit as an end in Pittsburgh's 3-4 front, but he tends to play high and I'm not sure he's ideally suited to taking on blockers. WR Mike Wallace and CB Keenan Lewis could develop into solid role players, and CB Joe Burnett could be the diamond in the rough in this group.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2009 at 12:01 »

Pittsburgh Steelers: GRADE: B
First-round selection Evander Hood was a good pick because he should fit in well as a defensive tackle in the Steelers' system. I love third-round wide receiver Mike Wallace's speed. Cornerback Joe Burnett and running back Frank Summers were good selections in the fifth round. Defensive tackle Ra'Shon Harris could be a steal out of the sixth round.

:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2009 at 09:15 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: