Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 12, 2014 at 18:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Runyan to the Steelers?  (Read 3070 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Apr 28, 2009 at 07:37 »

Don't know how legit this site is. If his knees are intact, I'll jump on it. But ten bucks says he wouldn't get past out exam. We seem to bounce players with this kind of injury.

http://www.sportsrumormill.com/srmdev/viewtopic.php?t=57904&sid=b0148368f9ad0b12a3c80544de008e16

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 09:14 »

If his med eval clears, sign him.

Runyan >>> Colon.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 09:23 »

I'd take him even if he's gimpy.

When you look at the guys the Stillers have on their line he would instantly become their best player - he's better than Starks, KemoEATU, etc.

No way, he's not better than...uh...than...we ll, Starks makes 8 million...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 09:44 »

Bengals are gonna cut Levi Jones.  Best years are past, and he too has had some injuries, but bring him in.  In his prime, he played well, sort of in the Marvel Smith mold.  Sign the gimps, trade Max to Buff who traded Peters and drafted no one, then draft a LT next year.  Clear some cap, get the extensions done.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 10:20 »

No way, he's not better than...uh...than...we ll, Starks makes 8 million...

Nice!

I'm all for singing a couple of vets like Jones and Runyan--Runyan especially, since he was still productive last year.  Get one season out of them until you can figure out a plan that doesn't involve paying 8 million to a guy who is slightly above average.

I am getting gray hair over our offensive line gaffes.  It's like watching Charlie Brown trying to put together a team.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 11:01 »

IMHO, Runyan is a major tool and overated. And sorry guys, whether you like it or not, and you probably don't, the Steelers OL is set for next year, with the possible exception of RG.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 11:09 »

IMHO, Runyan is a major tool and overated. And sorry guys, whether you like it or not, and you probably don't, the Steelers OL is set for next year, with the possible exception of RG.

Ben's already bracing for his requisite 45 sacks.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 11:23 »

I respectfully disagree, man.  Overrated?  Nah.  A better example of that would be Faneca; especially in the last handful of years.  What's Runyan done in his career that would make him overrated?  Don't people have to consider you great first to be classified as such?  1 or 2 Pro Bowls in the 42 years he's been in the league doesn't suffice.  He's an above average lineman which you can't really say about anybody on the team.

He's by no means a long term answer, but what he can do is give this front 5 some much needed nastiness in the short term.  I had hoped Pittsburgh would go after either him or Tra Thomas in the offseason as a stopgap.  He's one of those players that you hate when he's on the opposition, but you love when he wears your team's jersey.  Mean; plays hard; plays hurt (don't think he's ever missed a game); and, even at his age, would be as good or better than anybody they've got.  And, coming from Reid's offense, the one thing he knows how to do is pass block.  Maybe he can teach the rest of 'em (Zierlein included) a thing or two about it.

Vet min or close to it for a year?  Minimal guarantees?  Where do I sign?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 11:53 »

I should clarify, that I didn't mean overated with respect to his career, but more along the lines that he wouldn't improve the Steelers OL.... OK, he's better than that POS Colon, but would the line really be better if he came in? Don't know about that. It needs a geniune stud either at center, or RT and Funyans ain't no stud.

I think the Steeler OL is a pile of suck, just like everyone else. I just think the Steeler FO, and possibly MT, think otherwise as evidenced by the signings this offseason. Starks got franchised for fuck's sake, Kemo got his deal, KS was cut for Stapleton, and Hartwig and Colon are still on the roster.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am, but the OL will look VERY familiar come Sept. 10, 2009. 
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2009 at 20:17 »

I sat next to one of Runyan's old HS/college friends for the first home Ravens game last year. Seemed like a good guy. Told me some pretty great anecdotes about their HS basketball days. I always did view Runyan as a damned bully but that was his role his whole life. Can't hate on that. Make a few bowls, be famous, rake in like 20 mil. Anyone would be happy to play along to that tune.

The one point that sticks with me is how old the guy and Runyan were. Simple fact: people get old. Runyan's body can give out at anytime. Linemen of that age are sometimes great bargains. But mostly busts. They sign on for fliers year after year and very few come back once theyve gone one way.

As for Philly radio they can kiss my ass. Not that it's pertinent but Sidney Crosby is father. Bisheses.

(Levi) Jones

You all should be ashamed of yourselves talking him up. Joey Porter will "always be a Steeler" and he'll always break this guys face.

All I ever hear is whining from folks about the Steelers OLine yet they continue to win championship after championship.

Point is, I recognize the flaws, I recognize the circumstances for the abhorrent 'certain-death' sack totals, and I recognize who is available in our scheme. Our lines suck. People bitch. We win over and over. BUT STILL we hear our quarterback is going to end up an idiot or something. How many rings does our team have to win before the idiot pendulum swings towards your mirror and away from the best organization in pro sports?

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: