Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 02, 2014 at 01:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Runyan to the Steelers?  (Read 3247 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2009 at 23:40 »

I sat next to one of Runyan's old HS/college friends for the first home Ravens game last year. Seemed like a good guy. Told me some pretty great anecdotes about their HS basketball days. I always did view Runyan as a damned bully but that was his role his whole life. Can't hate on that. Make a few bowls, be famous, rake in like 20 mil. Anyone would be happy to play along to that tune.

The one point that sticks with me is how old the guy and Runyan were. Simple fact: people get old. Runyan's body can give out at anytime. Linemen of that age are sometimes great bargains. But mostly busts. They sign on for fliers year after year and very few come back once theyve gone one way.

As for Philly radio they can kiss my ass. Not that it's pertinent but Sidney Crosby is father. Bisheses.

(Levi) Jones

You all should be ashamed of yourselves talking him up. Joey Porter will "always be a Steeler" and he'll always break this guys face.

All I ever hear is whining from folks about the Steelers OLine yet they continue to win championship after championship.

Point is, I recognize the flaws, I recognize the circumstances for the abhorrent 'certain-death' sack totals, and I recognize who is available in our scheme. Our lines suck. People bitch. We win over and over. BUT STILL we hear our quarterback is going to end up an idiot or something. How many rings does our team have to win before the idiot pendulum swings towards your mirror and away from the best organization in pro sports?

If you only read (or post) one post this year, make this post the one you read (or post).
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2009 at 07:57 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
scacs

« Reply #11 on: Apr 30, 2009 at 08:57 »

i read a lot of the posts on here, but i'm hardly ever inclined to post.  but i'm glad i came across y2joyce's post because it is spot on.  consider there is something to be said for the line when only 2 of them started the year in their position.  We'll see how they gel together this year. 

the question remains how we are always so darn close to the cap, every year.  we're not overpaying anyone, yet we still can't free cap room.  i don't get it ... when the patsies and eagles (who use trickery... which works) can retain cap room year after year... we can't. 

Trust me, I understand the reasons why we aren't so active in free agency.  I also understand that you don't just toss money to 10+ yr. vets and hope it pans out (while cowher loved his sweatsuit model - Duce Staley).  But bringing in a little competition for the position is only bound to bring out the best from everyone. 

"nobody in football should be called a genius.  a genius is a guy like norman einstein."  -  joe theismann
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Apr 30, 2009 at 09:23 »

Simple fact: people get old. Runyan's body can give out at anytime.

And at that point, he'd probably still play better than Millie Colon.  I appreciate the fact that he attempts to conceal his inadequacies as a tackle by firing off the line early, or cheating back off the line, but these things draw flags that kill drives that put us in the position of hoping for a damned miracle every week.  Those miracles will be harder to come by when Ben is dead.  Well, not dead, I exaggerate.  Colon, like a baby rhino with one paralyzed leg, wheels around rather comically when being beaten on the sack, so there's that.  But I think the real entertainment will be when we see Ben finally wheeled off the field a la Tom "the Bearded Lady" Brady with a season-ending injury, rather than a series of niggling separations, cracks and creaks and bruises and fuzzies.  We'll put Batch in and he doesn't last a series.  And then we put in Dennis Dixon and pop some popcorn, cuz that's our season, in the kid's hands, with no backups, and we're forced to make some trade with Denver for Chris "Man Love" Simms.  And then Ben comes back the next season, but not as our QB, but as some spokesman for the company that makes the little cart he uses to carry around the bottom half of his rotting corpse, like one of those poor little kittens that is born without a pelvis or some shit and has to wheel around using its front paws only.  Plus Ben will have a lobster claw-type prosthetic thingey where his hand used to be, and he'll sport a nice big scar on the side of his head like Landon from the Planet of the Apes when the chimps took the scalpel to his cerebellum, and he'll have the best shiny silver drool cup money can buy.  And all because Colon and the other gashes up front have been in this wild competition to see who can allow the most sacks, winner gets a $50 Applebees gift card.

Point?  Bring in Runyan, kick the tires, sign him for ~ the vet min, how the fuck could he possibly be worse?  Maybe they move Colon insi... oh, who the fuck am I kidding with that, but at least they signed Kraig "the Urbinator" Urbik to battle it out with Jean Stapleton.

Point is, I recognize the flaws, I recognize the circumstances for the abhorrent 'certain-death' sack totals, and I recognize who is available in our scheme. Our lines suck. People bitch. We win over and over. BUT STILL we hear our quarterback is going to end up an idiot or something. How many rings does our team have to win before the idiot pendulum swings towards your mirror and away from the best organization in pro sports?

Dunno 'bout the pendulum, too stupid to really understand the metaphor, but me -- and call me crazy -- I'd like to win another couple of rings while Benny is still playing. And maybe even win game after game without miracle heroics, but rather through sheer flat-out fucking domination, like when we get to the goal line, lose four yards on a rushing play and settle for a field goal?  We could actually, ya know, like punch it in.  Maybe let Ben and the boys have a little fun and score points, lots of them, instead of being treated to the constant 3-and-outs, Ben and Arians consultations, then hoping and praying that our defense has another miracle left, the usual little song and dance.  

I mean, it's great and all that Ben had all the miracle comebacks, the defense had all the miracle stops and turnarounds, but that's a hell of a thing to depend on.  Maybe you put yourself in that situation less often, you win more rings?  Maybe not, I hear a pendulum swinging.  

You know, you're right, fuck the line, trust in miracles.  I saw this program once, some lady couldn't walk or shit but the Lord healed her, it was a miracle, and I would up sending $100 to Benny Hinn, that shit really works.  I'm so happy now.  Gabba gabba!   You don't build championship teams starting with the lines, that's all a myth.  All you need is a rabbit's foot, a horseshoe, a four-leafed clover, and five guys up front who can't stop a pass-rush any better than dead Bea fucking Arthur and the rest of the Golden Girls, with Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies thrown in, presumably long dead as well, and the redolent corpus of Princess Diana herself thrown in for the five-spot.  This is all wonderful.

Much better than kicking tires of FA linemen and signing them for small money in the hope and prayer of even a slight, tiny, miniscule improvement over the reeking desuetude we're stuck with -- errrr, blessed with, now.  I'm sending another $100 to Benny Hinn, and hoping I get a fancy prayer hat like last time, even though it was just a cheap-ass piece of material that was probably a Sham-Wow reject.  I can't even tell you how happy I am that this lovely, lovely line is just so... lovely, by which, of course, I mean "lovely," and not some other word in place of "lovely," or some ironic hissing spittle-strewn version of "lovely."  

[/quote]

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 2009 at 09:23 »

the Steelers OL is set for next year, with the possible exception of RG.

Maybe you are right, but I'm still holding on to hope that we try to make some changes.

All I ever hear is whining from folks about the Steelers OLine yet they continue to win championship after championship.

Okay, I'll hear that point and raise you one (maybe, not sure I'm that smart).

I will admit that I have become the most spoiled Stiller fan on the planet, and this season has done nothing to help with my affliction.  I also have an "illness" of being overly critical of offensive line play.  It was my position in college, and I coached for six years, so I tend to over-analyze.  Your point is well-taken:  We've got two titles in four years, how bad could it be?

While the overall results are great, the devil in the details says that the oline is an ongoing problem that has not been seriously addressed by the team or the FO in many years.  We've read the posts about the lack of priority for oline in the draft over the last ten years.  We've seen/heard the sack numbers, the decline in rush yards, etc.  Hell, we've watched the games and seen guys getting jacked up, knocked back, or blown by.  

We could point to tons of reasons for the problems, from talent to scheme to playcalling, but the bottom line is that oline appears to be one of the weaker areas on the team.  No matter how much you win or how good you are, you still have to look at your weakest links and try to address them.  When you stop doing that, it won't take long for that pendulum to swing.  I still believe oline is our weakest link, and we are doing very little to address it.

As for Big Ben, the concern is the same as the one you express over Runyan.  We've won because of him and, at times, in spite of the protection for him.  But if he continues to get hit, who knows when the next big concussion or the Brady-esque knee blowout is going to come?  Continuing to take punishment, as you point out, eventually grinds you down.  And it is a fact that after one concussion, your susceptibility to them gradually increases.  How many has Ben had now, three?  At least?  Who knows when the next big hit by an unblocked LB is going to put him in a wheelchair next to a window saying, "MY NAME IS BOB!"?

In some ways, I think the oline has taken on the personality of the team's fearless leader:  When the game is on the line, they step up and deliver.  No one can deny that they stepped up in XLIII on that last drive.  But it's time to start considering that the Franchise doesn't need to take 150 hits a year, and that we might want an oline who can get it done from start to finish in all phases of the game.  Sorry to be a whiner...just my opinion.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2009 at 09:35 »

i read a lot of the posts on here, but i'm hardly ever inclined to post.  but i'm glad i came across y2joyce's post because it is spot on.  consider there is something to be said for the line when only 2 of them started the year in their position.  We'll see how they gel together this year. 

I agree, I was just sassing him for no reason.  In actuality, I find games so much more enjoyable when opposing defensive lines attack the edge with Starks, draw Hartwig away the other side, and then a rusher times his move past Kemo, who stands there looking back and forth with apparently no comprehension that his job is to stop the guy.  That's effin' priceless shit right there.  Hartwig is a huge upgrade to Mahan, so we're cool there, what, 6, 7 sacks allowed, ain't no thang.  Stapleton likewise a huge upgrade over Kendall Simmons, except when he wasn't.  And good gravy, that Millie Colon certainly does a swell job.  They're all swell.  Other teams need, what, like a few months to gel, but give us a few years and we'll really and truly and finally see whether these guys can get their shit together.  Because the past three seasons, it's been a fucking fabulous montage of flashbacks to the Texans so-called line protecting David so-called Carr a few years back.  That shit will never backfire.  Never.  'S'great.  'S'fabulous.  'S'ssssserific.

the question remains how we are always so darn close to the cap, every year.  we're not overpaying anyone, yet we still can't free cap room.  i don't get it ... when the patsies and eagles (who use trickery... which works) can retain cap room year after year... we can't. 

Well, it couldn't be something as obvious as sinking $16 million into tagging Max Starks the past two years rather than either inking a long-termer or cutting his ass loose.  Cuz we never do stupid deals.  Just ask Jason Gildon.  Or Kendall Simmons. 

We wouldn't have to have this ridiculous discussion of FA OL if the braintrust would actually, oh, I don't know... DRAFT A FUCKING OFFENSIVE LINEMAN more than once a decade.  Of course, Keith Urban is enough to right this ship.  That was really all we needed, thanks for that.  Like going to the ER with a gunshot to the gut, and getting an aspirin.  Whoooooo boy, I feel all better now.

I don't care.  It's only Roethlisberger, for that kind of money he should be obligated to get the shit beat out of him on a weekly basis.  It's his job, and I don't want to hear any complaining.  No whining, as our esteemed Governor says. 

jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #15 on: Apr 30, 2009 at 09:43 »

I have to take issue with the ideas that we have won 2 SB in the last 4 years with OL problems.  The line that won the 2006 (2005 season) Super Bowl is nothing like the 2008 line.  The 2005 OL had 3 guys performing at a legitimate pro-bowl level with Hartings, Faneca, and Marvel Smith.  Starks and Simmons were performing at a reasonable level as well.  The 2008 team had absolutely nobody performing anywhere close to a pro-bowl level - instead fans were generally happy if they weren't wretched.  The 2005 team averaged 4 yards per rush and generally didn't have any problems whatsoever converting 3rd/4th and shorts.  The 2008 team averaged 3.3 yards per rush and had great difficulty in short yardage situations.

People complain about the OL because it is a constantly worsening problem.  I understand that in a salary cap league you can't be good everywhere, and have depth.  That is the nature of the business.  I also agree that the Steelers are likely the best run team in sports.  But the continued neglect of the OL will indeed shorten Ben's career - and while we have indeed already won 2 SBs with him at the helm, I say in all seriousness that I don't see how Roethlisberger will survive his current contract behind this line.  We won last year despite the OL.  We won in 2005 in substantial part because of the line.  I personally find last year's win with that OL more miraculous that the 2005 Roethlisberger season saving tackle against the Colts.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Apr 30, 2009 at 10:11 »

Quit yer bitchin'.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Apr 30, 2009 at 10:19 »

consider there is something to be said for the line when only 2 of them started the year in their position.  

If it takes them more than three practices to figure out those overly-elaborate, creative, LeBeau-on-the-offensive-side-of-the-ball schemes that Arians has...then I weep for the future.

Yeah, I hear ya...MAYBE they get better.  MAYBE they "gel" next season.  MAYBE another year of experience helps.  Well, I'm tired of "maybes" from the guys that are responsible for protecting our major investments in the frachise.  

Here's the straight-up deal:

Colon has been at RT for two years.  He ain't suddenly gonna grow three inches and develop an 81-inch reach.  Stapleton is a serviceable backup, and he still beat out the all-world Simmons.  Hartwig?  11 sacks this year and a safety in the EZ in the last five minutes of the SB.  And oh, by the way, didn't that negate a spectacular 3rd down conversion by the Franchise?  

Starks could not--COULD NOT--start for us last season.  He is playing because Smith got hurt.  Are we that bad at evaluating talent?  Or is he just not that good?  Meh...who cares?  Throw another 8 mil at him.

But don't worry about it...Ben will get us out of it!  He's BIG Ben!  He'll take a lickin' and keep on...oh, wait, here comes the ambulance.  Who is that on the field having his facemask unbolted, getting his head duct-taped to a piece of plywood?  Uh-oh...

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Apr 30, 2009 at 10:36 »

You know that old saw about there being a fine line between winning and losing?

We had, what, 4 come from behind wins last year?  12-4 gets you to the playoffs.  8-8 doesn't.

"They're young and they'll only improve" is just another way of saying "good Good, they cannot possibly get any worse."

The Ravens won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer as QB.
The Colts won a Super Bowl without any apparent run defense.
The Cowboys won a Super Bowl with Barry Switzer coaching.
The Steelers won with this sorry-assed bunch of offensive linemen.

Just sayin', it ain't something to count on.  My buddy Lanny drives an '84 Buick Skyhawk with three tires and a doughnut, an alternator that works sporadically, an engine that burns oil, and has its exhaust pipe held in place with a piece of hanger wire.  Gets him to work at the 7-11.  Can't say how long that will last, though.  Plus, Lanny's fuming himself to death with the carbon monoxide from his leaky muffler, but it's cool cuz he's a stoner anyway and no one can tell the difference when he's got the glazed look from the chronic or the CO.  Lanny's proud of that ride, and don't never criticize it to his face.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #19 on: Apr 30, 2009 at 11:03 »

So, are you saying Lanny should ride a bicycle to work, like BV?  And then when he gets into shape, tryout for the Steelers OL?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: