Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 11:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bylsma named Penguins head coach  (Read 548 times)
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« on: Apr 28, 2009 at 09:23 »

Bylsma named Penguins head coach; he's no longer 'interim'
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Dan Bylsma no longer is the Penguins' interim coach.

He got the job on a permanent basis -- as permanent as such a job can be in the NHL, anyway -- today.

Bylsma and general manager Ray Shero agreed on a multi-year contact last night, but the precise length and terms were not immediately known, although three-year deals are the norm in the NHL.

Bylsma replaced Michel Therrien behind the bench in mid-February and led the Penguins to an 18-3-4 record during their final 25 regular-season games, as well as a 4-2 victory against Philadelphia in the opening round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

"Dan has done such an impressive job with our team, both on and off the ice, that we didn't see the need to wait any longer to announce our decision," Shero said in a statement. "He is the man we want to lead the Pittsburgh Penguins as our head coach."

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
First published on April 28, 2009 at 10:17 am

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 09:34 »

Although he certainly wasn't my first choice in replacing Therien, I can't argue with his results. Just getting us into the post season was huge but he did get a little help by the return of Gonchar and the additions of Kunitz and Guerin. I can't believe it would have hurt for Shero to wait until the off season and conduct an actual interview process and make sure he's your man. This is eerily similar to the Therrien contract and look what happened.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 10:15 »

While I'm definately happy for the guy and I do feel he has done a great job with the tools that Therrien did not have all season long, I'm not at all crazy about it being a multi-year deal.  IMO, they should have waited until the offseason.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2009 at 10:23 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: