Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 29, 2014 at 12:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers meet with Lelie  (Read 1319 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 12:52 »

Unrestricted free agent Ashley Lelie, among the top deep receiving threats in the NFL, met with Steelers officials Monday and could sign with the team, agent Peter Schaffer said.

Wat?

Lelie has been in the top teens for YPC for most of his career.  Doesn't catch a lot of 'em but the ones he does go deep.

I get that n'all, but to label a guy as a "top deep receiving threat in the NFL" would kinda infer that he has to be...an actual WR, no?  A reception a game average for the last 3 years??  Not too tough to skew that average north.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 17:33 »

No thanks.  In one of my rare draft prognostiction moments, I remember him being my pick for first round bust that year.  Pretty close.

Just not a good fit for us.  Can he block?  I'm guessing no, and at his age he probably wouldn't be too interested in learning. 

I'd rather take our chances with the young guys.  If nothing else, they'll get experience.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 19:34 »

No thanks.  In one of my rare draft prognostiction moments, I remember him being my pick for first round bust that year.  Pretty close.

Just not a good fit for us.  Can he block?  I'm guessing no, and at his age he probably wouldn't be too interested in learning. 

I'd rather take our chances with the young guys.  If nothing else, they'll get experience.

Well, I would have rather had Galloway, who is fast and can catch the ball.  But I see this as a hedge: If Wallace isn't a starter right away, you get someone who's got his basic skill set to try out gameplans with

I think it's a long-ish shot he signs, and even longer he plays here more than a year. 

In the draft, I had Mike Thomas of Arizona a bit ahead of Wallace.  He had better receiving skills, looked plug-in ready at slot, excellent speed as well, but much, much smaller.  Wallace may be somebody who can learn the slot, but he looks like a SE to me.  Guess I was enamored of the Welker-type slot guy, but that ain't Wallace or Lelie. 

Still, on a one-year bid, I'd consider rolling the dice for a field-stretching WR.  Chances are if Wallace is at all competent Lelie doesn't make final cut anyway.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 21:18 »

I have no problem bringing in a low risk high reward type. The guy was a former first round pick, maybe he figures it out and equals Nate's production if one of the rookies or Sweed aren't ready. If not, you cut him and his salary and tell him to enjoy his complimentary Steeler's sweats.

Competition in training camp is a good thing.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2009 at 08:51 »

I would rather see us throw the money at Runyan. 
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Apr 29, 2009 at 08:53 »

Guess I was enamored of the Welker-type slot guy, but that ain't Wallace or Lelie.

Just wondering:  Any chance that Hines Ward ever moves to that type of role as he winds down his career?  I think he would be absolutely perfect for that kind of position and could possibly end up with a ton of catches in his closing years.

However, this implies that we're going to find a new #1 or 2, and that's not going to be Ashley Lelie.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2009 at 17:35 »

If we can get him at or near the vet minimum, I say go for it.  Having another body in camp to push Sweed and Wallace can only be a good thing.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Apr 29, 2009 at 18:02 »

I hope we see Wallace get more than reps at SE.  Even if he's limited as a receiver, I think he can be a very, very dangerous guy from the slot, quick slants and boom, off to the races.  In any event, I think he can be a Nate+ type #3, better speed and KR ability. 

Ward will, I think, be a steady kind of guy, whose production will be tied to injury rather than age.  He hasn't slowed down because, as I've said x1000, his game ain't predicated on speed anyway.  His best years look to have been 2001-04, but 2008 wasn't bad...

Year...Receptions...Y ards...TDs

2002...112...1329...1 2

I mean, that's mighty fucking consistent.  Slight dip from '05-'07, but overall I expect Ward to chip in a minimum of 60-70 catches a year the next 3, at least 800 yards and 5 TDs.  Old man is rep-is-SENTIN.

I'm not at all confident that after '09 and '10, we retain Holmes.  I think he's going to walk, and Sweed had better be hitting his stride.  The question isn't How do we replace Ward, it's How do we replace Holmes?  Be nice if Sweed, Ward, and Wallace were the trio for a couple years, and then we find Ward's replacement.

But maybe Ward can be the slot guy as time goes on.   It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: