Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 17, 2014 at 22:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larry Foote Rumor  (Read 2725 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Apr 29, 2009 at 10:24 »

Could Bruce Davis possibly fill that role?

Never thought of that.

That's thinking outside the box, Brink. 

From NFLDS:

Compares To: TEDY BRUSCHI-New England...Bruschi terrorized Pac-10 quarterbacks as a right defensive end at Arizona and had just marginal success when he first shifted to linebacker and played on the outside earlier in his NFL career. Bruce Davis, a player with the same kind of motor and style of play, could develop in the right system. He'll need a patient coach and a spot at strong-side inside linebacker in a 3-4 alignment, where his lack of long pursuit speed can be covered up. He might make a decent OLB at the next level, but for the way he plays inside the box, he will have better success following Bruschi's path in the pro ranks.

SSILB = Buck, which Farrior plays, whereas Foote and Timmons play WSILB = Mack, but it remains a possibility that Davis could be a two-position swing man (OLB/ILB).  Davis is listed at 6'2" 252 #, which probably is last year's weight, whereas Foote and Farrior run a couple inches shorter and around 240#.  Jimmie Harrison is listed at 6'0" 242#, although they're fudging that height.  So size-wise, Davis is about right at OLB (Wood is 265#), and a bit thick at ILB. 

We know Tomlin like positional flexibility, so maybe he sees something of that in Bruce.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Apr 29, 2009 at 12:47 »

quote]Instead, Schantz received a phone call from the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers in the sixth round explaining that they had no intention of drafting a linebacker but would like him to join the team as an undrafted free agent.

Interesting perspective to process, knowing pretty much from R6 that each slot had one name on it (if not earlier -- I suspect everything after R3 was pretty well scripted, and less a matter of "let's see who falls").

Schantz is 6 7/8", 234#, a respectable if not exactly blazing 4.71 40, 19 lifts, 34" VJ, and 9'08" BJ (62.75 KEI).  Not taken on measurables alone, then.

This & that:

Schantz transferred from San Diego State following the 2006 season after being benched during his sophomore season. In his two years at PSU, he accumulated 199 tackles, 23 for loss and 14 pass breakups. In 2008, he earned second-team All-Big Sky and third-team AP All-American status with 114 stops, 14 for loss.

Schantz impressed scouts with his aggressiveness during Texas vs. the Nation All-Star Challenge practices, potentially earning a draftable grade.

Schantz was recently named Portland State team Most Valuable Player and second team All-Big Sky Conference. He is also a candidate for the Buck Buchanan Award, given annually to the top defensive player in the nation at the NCAA I FCS level. Schantz led the Vikings with 115 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, nine pass breakups, and had an interception, a fumble recovery and a forced fumble this season. [*Note: some disparity in the stats, FWIW.]

Positives: Heady, passionate player whose instincts and agility made him a tackling machine at the FCS level. Strong in the upper body, able to shed guards and fullbacks to make tackles inside. Comes hard on run blitzes or when a hole presents itself; willing to take on fullbacks to plug a gap. Solid tackler with good length and the ability to break down and make the play in space. Opens his hips quickly to get into his drop. Reads the quarterback and reacts well to balls thrown in front of him. Could be a very good special teams player because of his toughness and tackling ability.

Negatives: Only adequate size and speed for an NFL linebacker. Thin in the lower body and legs. Rarely blows up ballcarriers when making a tackle. Struggles to beat backs and receivers to the edge, and will really have problems doing so in the NFL. Likes to freelance, often leaving his responsibilities to rush into the backfield. 

Best possible, he's a guy who's another UDFA gem.  At worst, he's a guy at camp.

Instead, Schantz received a phone call from the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers in the sixth round explaining that they had no intention of drafting a linebacker but would like him to join the team as an undrafted free agent.[/quote]

Interesting perspective to process, knowing pretty much from R6 that each slot had one name on it (if not earlier -- I suspect everything after R3 was pretty well scripted, and less a matter of "let's see who falls").

Schantz is 6 7/8", 234#, a respectable if not exactly blazing 4.71 40, 19 lifts, 34" VJ, and 9'08" BJ (62.75 KEI).  Not taken on measurables alone, then.

This & that:

Schantz transferred from San Diego State following the 2006 season after being benched during his sophomore season. In his two years at PSU, he accumulated 199 tackles, 23 for loss and 14 pass breakups. In 2008, he earned second-team All-Big Sky and third-team AP All-American status with 114 stops, 14 for loss.

Schantz impressed scouts with his aggressiveness during Texas vs. the Nation All-Star Challenge practices, potentially earning a draftable grade.

Schantz was recently named Portland State team Most Valuable Player and second team All-Big Sky Conference. He is also a candidate for the Buck Buchanan Award, given annually to the top defensive player in the nation at the NCAA I FCS level. Schantz led the Vikings with 115 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, nine pass breakups, and had an interception, a fumble recovery and a forced fumble this season. [*Note: some disparity in the stats, FWIW.]

Positives: Heady, passionate player whose instincts and agility made him a tackling machine at the FCS level. Strong in the upper body, able to shed guards and fullbacks to make tackles inside. Comes hard on run blitzes or when a hole presents itself; willing to take on fullbacks to plug a gap. Solid tackler with good length and the ability to break down and make the play in space. Opens his hips quickly to get into his drop. Reads the quarterback and reacts well to balls thrown in front of him. Could be a very good special teams player because of his toughness and tackling ability.

Negatives: Only adequate size and speed for an NFL linebacker. Thin in the lower body and legs. Rarely blows up ballcarriers when making a tackle. Struggles to beat backs and receivers to the edge, and will really have problems doing so in the NFL. Likes to freelance, often leaving his responsibilities to rush into the backfield. 

Best possible, he's a guy who's another UDFA gem.  At worst, he's a guy at camp.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Apr 29, 2009 at 12:50 »

BTW, Schantz was rated 15th best ILB; Donovan Woods and Patrick Bailey, last year's UDFA LB surprises, were ranked 50th and unranked.  So, keep an eye on Schantz.

KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Apr 29, 2009 at 15:55 »

Instead, Schantz received a phone call from the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers in the sixth round explaining that they had no intention of drafting a linebacker but would like him to join the team as an undrafted free agent.

I guess things are what they are, but this just doesn't sound right.  I heard Jerry Jones also mention that America's Team was calling potential free agents while the draft was still goin' on.  I was always under the impression that this was verboten. 

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Apr 29, 2009 at 16:12 »

Instead, Schantz received a phone call from the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers in the sixth round explaining that they had no intention of drafting a linebacker but would like him to join the team as an undrafted free agent.

I guess things are what they are, but this just doesn't sound right.  I heard Jerry Jones also mention that America's Team was calling potential free agents while the draft was still goin' on.  I was always under the impression that this was verboten. 

Nah, they're not trying to lock 'em in or anything, just announcing intentions.  Eh, once you get into R6 and definitely R7, as a player, you'd prefer to go undrafted.  Gives guys the pick of the litter and the chances of making the squad are about the same.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #35 on: Apr 29, 2009 at 17:40 »

Eh, I really liked the Foote/Timmons platoon last year.  I guess they feel Timmons is ready for full-time duty.

I'd rather drop Townsend than Foote.  Taylor, Gay, Ratliff, Bryant, Lewis, Burnett, and Madison should be good enough at CB.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Apr 29, 2009 at 18:06 »

Yeah, you can't put a contract out there, but you can let a player know you're interested.  As aj mentioned, the UDFAs can be a little selective, go where they have a better shot at starting, or go to a better overall team.  But there is more guaranteed cash as a draft pick.  Maybe not a lot, but some.  Tens of thousands.  Say, $37,000 on average.  It's not true, but say it anyway.

Nah, they're not trying to lock 'em in or anything, just announcing intentions.  Eh, once you get into R6 and definitely R7, as a player, you'd prefer to go undrafted.  Gives guys the pick of the litter and the chances of making the squad are about the same.

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: