Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 15, 2014 at 04:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Round Two: Pens vs Caps  (Read 6293 times)
bpittfan
N00b

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009 at 17:22 »

I have no idea what's up with Sykora. Some are speculating that he's still not 100% healthy, but who is at this point in the season?  Some are speculating that it's a confidence issue. we are talking about a 32 year old veteran who has looked like hell for some time now.

True, everyone is hurting. But what if Sykora has an injury that prevents him from shooting at 100%? It's odd how, as I pointed out, a guy can go from 22 goals in 56 goals to 3 goals in 20 games. He was able to get his shot off just fine those first 56 games and then...?

True, as pointed out, he lost out on top PP time. But this is Sykora we're talking about. One of his key traits is the ability to get open and find the soft spots in the defense. He isn't doing that on even strength anymore, so the defense doesn't have to try and stop him, thus giving Malkin more room to operate in.

I'm just surprised that Sykora didn't slow down over time - he skated smack into a wall and completely dropped off. Maybe that does speak of a confidence issue.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009 at 21:24 »

Great result tonight, but I find it hard to believe we can keep that kind of pace up for three or four more games.  If we're going to get through this series, 1. Fleury cannot have another off night.  He's terrible on the puck, and when he loses his positioning he's woeful.  2.  The power play.  This seems obvious, and I'm not necessarily talking about scoring every other time, but their puck possesion is awful.  Gonchar and Letang both struggled to keep the puck in, and when it did get set up, it seemed to end with the inevitable blast into a crowd of three caps and then whoop right back up the ice.  3.  Satan needs to be taken out back, shot, and buried under the new arena.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009 at 21:31 »

Wooooooooooooo!

Wang dang sweet Letang!

What a great game minus the first 10 minutes. Letang made up for an embarrassing night playing the point on the PP. He was just awful. Great faceoff win by Sid on the OT winner. Geno was Lemieux-esque all night long. The between the legs schooling on Ovechkin was priceless. Mad Max looked good playing on the Malkin line. He made a couple sweet outlet passes to a breaking Malkin.

I'm still astounded by the play of Varlamov. He's either the second coming of Ken Dryden or he's just extremely lucky.

Let's get 'em again Friday!

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009 at 06:32 »

He's either the second coming of Ken Dryden or he's just extremely lucky.

I'm sure he's getting more that 15-18 shots per game.  Grin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009 at 08:01 »

True, everyone is hurting. But what if Sykora has an injury that prevents him from shooting at 100%?

Going on the assumption that it is a serious injury that is preventing him from shooting at 100%, then I have no idea why Bylsma is even playing him in the first place.  If in fact the guy can't shoot, then it's sort of pointless in playing him don't you think?

Then again, this is a guy who is missing wide-open nets where you do not exactly need a ferocious slapper or hard wrister in order to put it in the net.  We are talking about a chip shot.  Plus, he has stated time and time again that he is healthy and able to play.     

It's odd how, as I pointed out, a guy can go from 22 goals in 56 goals to 3 goals in 20 games. He was able to get his shot off just fine those first 56 games and then...?

Like I said, your guess is as good as mine.

One of his key traits is the ability to get open and find the soft spots in the defense. He isn't doing that on even strength anymore,

That's why I'm not sure if his problem can be attributed to "an injury that prevents him from shooting at 100%".  He's not even getting open.  He's a ghost out there. 

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009 at 08:03 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009 at 08:35 »

I'm sure he's getting more that 15-18 shots per game.  Grin

The kid is playing out of his mind.  He was one of the main reasons why I did not want to play this team in the second round.  A good number of fans simply blew this kid off as no big deal.  The argument being that he played a New York Rangers offense that had no punch and that he will "break" once he faces a Penguins offense.  Well, that has not been the case.  In all right, we should have won that game 10-1 last night and you could easily make the argument that he is the only reason why they are up two games to one.

IMO, the kid is the real deal.  Outside of Green, it's not like he has the greatest defense in the world playing in front of him.  His positional game is excellent and his rebound control is very solid.  If you look at the three goals we scored last night, he did not have a chance in hell to stop them.  The first goal was a lucky bounce off of Jurcina and back to Fedotenko for what basically amounted to a open net.  On our second goal, he was completely screened by Guerin.  He never saw the puck.  On Letang's OT goal, a slapper from the point changed directions on him after it hit off of Morrisonn.

We need to just keep putting traffic in front of him and look for those dirty goals because I do not see him "breaking" any time in the near future.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009 at 08:43 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009 at 11:14 »

1. Fleury cannot have another off night.  He's terrible on the puck, and when he loses his positioning he's woeful. 

This can't be stated enough. Fluery got his big contract, now he needs to work on his weaknesses this offseason, like Sid did with faceoffs. I'm sick of holding my damn breath every time he leaves the cage to handle the puck. And his rebound positioning is awful.

We've outplayed these chumps for 3 games and if not for a couple lucky bounces last night we could be down 3-0. Nothing like running into a hot goalie at the wrong time.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009 at 11:24 »

And now, the crying....

We didn't play our game," Ovechkin said. "I don't want to talk about Varlamov. I don't want to talk about the referees, too. They only had two penalties, it's kind of a joke."

Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau said Varlamov nearly stole the game, and added he disliked the officiating nearly as much as Ovechkin.

"When you get a goaltending effort like that, you have to win because they don't come around every day," Boudreau said. "I think we might have deserved the penalties, but they sure as hell deserved a few more than they got."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=277807

I'm not exactly sure what they expected when they spent 80% of the time in their own zone and/or chasing the puck. 
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009 at 12:04 »

We didn't play our game," Ovechkin said. "I don't want to talk about Varlamov. I don't want to talk about the referees, too. They only had two penalties, it's kind of a joke."

Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau said Varlamov nearly stole the game, and added he disliked the officiating nearly as much as Ovechkin.

"When you get a goaltending effort like that, you have to win because they don't come around every day," Boudreau said. "I think we might have deserved the penalties, but they sure as hell deserved a few more than they got."

And somewhere far away, Ron Wilson continues to seethe with anger.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009 at 12:20 »

And, by the way, how did Fedorov get hurt?  I've watched it a million times and I can't quite figure it out.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: