Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 18:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Round Two: Pens vs Caps  (Read 6483 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2009 at 11:07 »

As for the Washington Post article, I'm not exactly sure why it has taken people this long to realize that Sidney Crosby IS the best overall hockey player in the NHL?  I can understand the dopes at ESPN who are too busy jumping on every NBA player's dick right now in that prima donna league, but the people who actually follow the game?  It took them this long? 

I think it has been pretty obvious since day one who is the better overall hockey player.  Where to begin?

1) Sid wins faceoffs.  Something Ovechkin doesn't even attempt to do. 

2) Sid plays both ends.  Ovechkin skates around the neutral zone and waits when the puck is in his defensive zone.  He does this every game.  Every once in a while he will come in and hit a guy who is not looking and at times a player who doesn't even have the puck, all the while leaving his skates, but how often do you see him working the corners and clearing his own zone?  How often do you see him chucking his skates in order to get back and break up a play?  Hardly ever from what I have seen over the last four years.

3) Sid actually passes the puck.  Ovechkin has one hell of a shot, but do you mean to tell me that his fellow teammates are not just a little pissed off when he shoots constantly and never looks for the pass?  It's funny, people blasted the kid all season long for not shooting enough, I have not heard those criticisms ever since Shero went out and actually got him players who are capable of scoring goals.  It's pretty quiet on the local Crosby-bashing front.  I guess they are back on that wagon?

4) Overall professionalism.  I have no problem with a good celebration after an important goal, but Ovechkin took it way too far this season.  This guy was celebrating after every damn goal he scored, no the matter the score or overall situation.  OT playoff game winner?  Go for it.  Playoff goal with under 5 minutes to go? Go for it.  Regular season goal while you are up 5-1?  Give it a rest and act like you have done it before.  Is it that big of a deal in my opinion?  Not really, but it does say something when it comes to comparing the two players.

5) While I think you could definately tie it into "overall professionalism", the dirty play.  I love a great clean check, but this guy doesn't give a shit one way or the other if it's clean.  The hit on Gonchar is just one of the many examples over the years.  From taking runs, to leaving his skates every time he throws a check, to hitting guy's who don't even have the puck, to leading with his knee.  This is a guy who doesn't care if he ends another player's career.  It was obvious last season when he attempted to crack Malkin and failed miserably and it was definateley apparent with his hits on Gonchar and Gill in this past series.

While many others were writing this kid off in the regular season, I've been saying it for the last four years.  If you are going to give me one player to start up a franchise hockey team, give me Sidney Crosby.  I'll take him over Ovechkin, Malkin, Datysuk, Kane, Eric Staal, Parise, Kovalchuk, Carter or Getzlaf.  All excellent hockey players, but I'll take the overall package and what Crosby's brings to the team every single shift.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009 at 11:51 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2009 at 11:57 »

Grin :lol:

Alex Ovechkin takes a run at...Niklas Backstrom?
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2009 at 13:50 »

A big + 1 to your response to the Washington Post article PghSteel.
After watching Ovechkin for 7 games I can say two things:

1.) That SOB can score from anywhere on the ice. The combination of the velocity on his shot (especially his wrister) and his quick release is definitely sopmething to watch.

2.) He is a one-dimensional punk who would rather score 5 goals in a loss than assist on 3 in a win. He'll take a shot at anyone carrying the puck (who isn't looking), but rarely carries the puck out of his zone. That's probably because he's not a very good puck-handler, oh and he's a gigantic douche who doesn't want to get hit. He cherry-picks at the blue line and has taken more shots this season than Sid and Geno combined. And don't even get me started on his goal celebrations.

Ovechkin may one day be part of a championship team, but he won't be the reason they won the championship. He may be super-human in ability, but until he's willing to do the little things he just a glorified gunner IMO. I believe if the Cap's are ever a true contender, it will have more to do with Backstrom than AO.

He's just lucky they drew an overrated Rangers team in round one and his goalie stood on his head for much of the playoffs, or he would have been on the golf course 2 weeks ago.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2009 at 19:41 »

and his goalie stood on his head for much of the playoffs, or he would have been on the golf course 2 weeks ago.

Very true.  If it weren't for Varlamov, we would have wrapped that series up in 4 or 5 games.  It took us seven games and 244 shots on net to finally break him.  I still feel the kid is the real deal.  It would help if Washington invested in some higher quality defensemen in the future.  I'm not seeing a Jim Carey-like situation occuring in the future with Varlamov.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009 at 19:43 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2009 at 21:23 »

I was amazed but the lead story on Mike and Mike this morning was the Pens vs Caps game. 

Maybe hockey has turned the corner and is getting back into the main stream media.

maybe.  If nothing else, suits at ESPN had to have been thinking "we could have had Pens/Caps game 7.  Instead, we have poker reruns."

If hockey continures to have series like that, they'll eventually get back, and the NHL would have to go with the bigger exposure.  However, it would be sweet if somehow they said screw you to ESPN, stuck with VS, and led that network as a major competitor to "the worldwide leader."

Probably never happen, but then again Fox was never supposed to be able to compete with the Big 3 as a major network.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2009 at 14:52 »

A big + 1 to your response to the Washington Post article PghSteel.
After watching Ovechkin for 7 games I can say two things:

1.) That SOB can score from anywhere on the ice. The combination of the velocity on his shot (especially his wrister) and his quick release is definitely sopmething to watch.

2.) He is a one-dimensional punk who would rather score 5 goals in a loss than assist on 3 in a win. He'll take a shot at anyone carrying the puck (who isn't looking), but rarely carries the puck out of his zone. That's probably because he's not a very good puck-handler, oh and he's a gigantic douche who doesn't want to get hit. He cherry-picks at the blue line and has taken more shots this season than Sid and Geno combined. And don't even get me started on his goal celebrations.

Ovechkin may one day be part of a championship team, but he won't be the reason they won the championship. He may be super-human in ability, but until he's willing to do the little things he just a glorified gunner IMO. I believe if the Cap's are ever a true contender, it will have more to do with Backstrom than AO.

He's just lucky they drew an overrated Rangers team in round one and his goalie stood on his head for much of the playoffs, or he would have been on the golf course 2 weeks ago.

Even Backstrom is basically calling him one-dimensional....

Yes, Ovechkin is great from the red line and forward, but Crosby is sovereign over the entire trajectory.

It's from a translated interview in which you might have to cut and paste the link: http://translate.google.com/translate?langpair=auto|en&u=http://gd.se/sport/ishockey/1.1043868
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2009 at 09:43 »

Yes, Ovechkin is great from the red line and forward, but Crosby is sovereign over the entire trajectory.

It's from a translated interview in which you might have to cut and paste the link: http://translate.google.com/translate?langpair=auto|en&u=http://gd.se/sport/ishockey/1.1043868

Dunno, Ovechkin does a pretty good job of back-checking Backstrom.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2009 at 20:04 »

Dunno, Ovechkin does a pretty good job of back-checking Backstrom.

Pages: 1 ... 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: