Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 02:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Round Two: Pens vs Caps  (Read 6232 times)
bpittfan
N00b

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2009 at 18:21 »

Penguin's PP... Ouch.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2009 at 09:00 »

Penguin's PP... Ouch.

I've said it time and time again, that's the main thing that is going to keep us from advancing to the cup finals in my opinion.  Mike Yeo has to go after the season is over.  There is no excuse for the PP being this bad and it's not like it suddenly turned sour over night, it has been horrible all season long under Yeo.

Well, we have to put them away on Monday night.  I do not want to go back to Washington.  In all honesty, I did not think we were going to pull out that win last night.  I had a bad feeling going into that game for some reason, but they surprised me.  They could have folded on a number of occasions but they kept battling.

Mellon is going to be a mad house on Monday night.  I can't wait to be there. yeh
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2009 at 12:39 »

I know I said the same thing about the Philly series, but if they just finish these chumps Monday I will be ecstatic about the season. Not only because I hate Ovechkin and hope he takes a skate across the throat, but because we have really outplayed them in every single game. And you know if Washington advances past this series Varlamov will seriously come back to earth, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Carolina sweep them.

Fedotenko has been a beast since the arrival of Kunitz and Guerin. I was calling for his head earlier in the season and I still don't think he's a top 6 guy, but he's been doing the little things extremely well. I wonder if we can get him resigned at a decent rate this offseason, given our lack of depth at forward. I like him as a third liner who can skate with the big boys for a shift here and there.

Satan also impressed me last night. I didn't think I'd notice much of a difference sitting Sykora for him, but he looks like he's got some gas left in the tank.

Even with a healthy Gonchar I could not see this team beating Detroit or Vancouver. I think if we get past the Caps though beating Carolina is a possibility. But like I said, beat these fuckers Monday and everything else is icing.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2009 at 16:14 »

Fedotenko has been a beast since the arrival of Kunitz and Guerin. I was calling for his head earlier in the season and I still don't think he's a top 6 guy, but he's been doing the little things extremely well. I wonder if we can get him resigned at a decent rate this offseason, given our lack of depth at forward. I like him as a third liner who can skate with the big boys for a shift here and there.

Satan also impressed me last night. I didn't think I'd notice much of a difference sitting Sykora for him, but he looks like he's got some gas left in the tank.

Fedotenko shows up in the playoffs.  He did it at TB and he does it here.

As far as Satan, his play is improving.  I like to refer to him as "The world's tiniest forechecker".

A shabby Charlie Brown.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2009 at 17:18 »

Bylsma 'hoping' Gonchar ready to skate
Buzz up!By Kevin Gorman, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Last updated: 11:46 am

Penguins coach Dan Bylsma this morning addressed the status of Sergei Gonchar, but didn't reveal whether the injured defenseman will return to play Monday for Game 6 of the Eastern Conference semifinal series at Mellon Arena.

Gonchar missed Game 5 Saturday night in Washington after a knee-on-knee collision with Capitals star Alex Ovechkin the previous night.

"He's coming in and evaluating the situation," Bylsma said. "It's nothing more than that for us. He's here today. We'll find out more after his treatment. I don't know any more than that. I'm hoping he improves and we can see him on the ice today and tomorrow, and we'll go from there."

The Penguins lead the best-of-seven series, 3-2.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_624506.html
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2009 at 05:49 »

To keep it short and sweet....this is not good.  A game seven in Washington with a momentum shift in the Caps favor. 
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2009 at 07:42 »

When Sid popped in the equalizer, I thought it was our destiny to win that game. I guess the hockey gods saw it differently.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2009 at 10:30 »

When Sid popped in the equalizer, I thought it was our destiny to win that game. I guess the hockey gods saw it differently.

They just want us to end it on on the Cap's home ice, so we can watch their fans sit in stunned silence while Ovechkin rushes his way through the handshake line with tears in his eyes.

In all seriousness though, it sucks that we have to go to game seven, in Washington no less. It will be a shame if we lose this series, given that we've outplayed this team for all but like 10 total minutes.

Not making excuses for Fluery, because you can't give up 5 goals on 25 shots, but Hal Gill played a shitty game (as has been his habit this postseason) and Orpik played the worst I've seen him play in a while (which I don't expect to see Wednesday). Also, you need to fucking score on that PP at the end of regulation, end of story.

I still expect the Pens to win this series as they are clearly the better team. And regarding Varlamov, that dam has to break eventually. It just sucks that we're now in a position where one bad bounce can end the season.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2009 at 12:48 »

I wouldn't count him out just yet...

Injured Gonchar practices with Penguins
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar joined his teammates for an optional practice at Southpointe this morning.

Coach Dan Bylsma said Gonchar's status for Game 7 of the Penguins-Capitals series tomorrow night at the Verizon Center won't be determined until after the game-day skate.

Gonchar has not played since injuring his right knee in a collision with Washington left winger Alex Ovechkin. Gonchar, who spoke to reporters today for the first time since he was injured, said he has an opinion on whether Ovechkin's hit was dirty, but he declined to share it.

The series is tied 3-3 following last night's victory by Washington at Mellon Arena.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09132/969530-100.stm
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009 at 12:55 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2009 at 19:33 »

More news...

It's A Great Day for Hockey - May 12
Sam Kasan
May 12, 2009, 11:25 AM EDT

.12:38 PM:
Here is an update from head coach Dan Bylsma on Gonchar's playing status for Wednesday's Game 7 showdown:

"He looked good out there. He's been progressing. We knew at some point he would get back on the ice. This is the first step and we'll see how he reacts. We'll see (Wednesday) and go from there. We're evaluating day-by-day. Today was promising but tomorrow could totally change with swelling or something like that. It's just day-by-day. That's a conversation we'll have after the morning skate and the evening time as well."

Gonchar spoke briefly with the media:

"I have to wait and see how my body reacts to it. It's going to be a game-time decision. I don't want to say anything else. It's too early. I'm waiting until tomorrow and then we'll make a decision."
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: