Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 30, 2014 at 13:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Round Two: Pens vs Caps  (Read 6562 times)
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2009 at 21:48 »

Just a sample of comments on tsn.com...

no penalties against washington. WOW!!! Pittsburgh played against themselves. Another game fixed brutal.

well done refs. well done. notice the hint of sarcasm. its not the best team that wins, the refs decide

Oh and make sure u draft a player that the NHL wants to market! Don't draft the best(Ovechkin) but draft marketablitity! You'll be amazed how well U will finish seasons to make playoffs. And once in u know your "market" player will see 10-12 more PP's no matter the opponent!

You had to know that Pittsburgh would win. The NHL can't have it's poster boy go without a cup for too long, A\and of course he had to beat Ovie, he's the NHL for pete's sake!! They also had to go the 7 games in this series because it generated millions for the league.

No Penalties for Pittsburgh? Are you kidding me? This game is rigged. No wonder this game struggles to sell itself.

0 Penalties for Pens - 4 Penalties Caps?!?! Wow it's things like that which make me hate this game.

Fixxxxxeeeddddd. Don Cherry is right. How can I team not get a penalty in the playoffs?

Officials sucked - stick slash call led Pits 1stGoal was joke! Crosby scored his 2ndGoal with Ovie hauled down same play no penalty? 20:20 hindsight Boudreau shudn't started Varlamov Game7. Let in 13 goals last 3Games + 4 more B4 pulled clearly hit rookie's wall + Pits got bunch game ending freebies. Anyone know where Green was in series? Ovie#1!

Wow, I didn't realize the NHL was run by Vince McMahon. Hopefully the remainder of the playoffs are fixed as well and the NHL WWE scripts the Pens beating the Wings in 7 to make up for last year.

Way to close out the series Pens. Leave no doubt in their minds as to who the better team is.

To quote the Foo Fighters, "Done, done; on to the next one"!

WHO'S NEXT?

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2009 at 21:49 »

Thrilled right now!!! Way to go Pens!!

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2009 at 21:58 »

I have another quote to add.

Fuck golfing.

-The Pens

Lets fuckin go.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2009 at 07:39 »

Highlight I could watch on an endless loop for the next year:

Ovechkin taking a run at Malkin only to miss him and completely destroy Backstrom.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2009 at 08:37 »

Ovechkin taking a run at Malkin only to miss him and completely destroy Backstrom.

That was fuckin beautiful.

I was amazed but the lead story on Mike and Mike this morning was the Pens vs Caps game. 

Maybe hockey has turned the corner and is getting back into the main stream media.

Bettman and the NHL are praying that the Pens win the cup...after all it would be best for hockey to have your golden boy winning cups.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2009 at 09:17 »

no penalties against washington. WOW!!! Pittsburgh played against themselves. Another game fixed brutal.

Tell that to Brooks Orpik's bleeding face and the no-call that followed even though it occured directly in front of the officials.  They are lucky that we did not have two-four minute PP's. 

When you get your ass handed to you 6-2, there is nothing fixed about it.  We played an almost perfect game of hockey last night.  Take your beating like a man, swallow your pride and live to fight another season.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009 at 09:23 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2009 at 09:38 »

That was fuckin beautiful.

I was amazed but the lead story on Mike and Mike this morning was the Pens vs Caps game. 

Maybe hockey has turned the corner and is getting back into the main stream media.

Bettman and the NHL are praying that the Pens win the cup...after all it would be best for hockey to have your golden boy winning cups.

I'm sure they'd love a Detroit-Chicago / Pittsburgh-Boston conference finals, with a Detroit-Pittsburgh rematch in the finals. I'd love to see a Pens-Blackhawks final. That would complete the Pen's "2008 Fuck You Tour" with the one last middle finger going to Marian Hossa as he sits at home watching the guys who could have been his linemates for the next 7 years in battling for another cup.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2009 at 09:55 »

I'm sure they'd love a Detroit-Chicago / Pittsburgh-Boston conference finals, with a Detroit-Pittsburgh rematch in the finals. I'd love to see a Pens-Blackhawks final. That would complete the Pen's "2008 Fuck You Tour" with the one last middle finger going to Marian Hossa as he sits at home watching the guys who could have been his linemates for the next 7 years in battling for another cup.

While it's looking way too far ahead, I would love to see a Chicago/Pittsburgh matchup for the second time in a Stanley Cup final.  The young kids vs the young kids.  Crosby/Malkin....Toews/Kane.  Show case the young stars.  Then again, they would all have interesting story lines.  Penguins vs Whitney if it's Anaheim.  Penguins vs Hossa if it's Detroit.  I'll take the young vs the young.

For now, I would rather take the home-ice advantage against Carolina.  I think anytime you have a chance to grab home ice in the playoffs, you gladly take it.  As much as I would love to see Brooks Orpik put Mark Recchi into the boards, I would still rather face Carolina with the home-ice advantage.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2009 at 09:57 »

At least the Washington post is getting it right for the most part...

In the End, Crosby Was the Better Player

That's right, clutch. After Game 2, it was written here that Ovie was a much better player under pressure, his speed and power superior to anything the more calculating Crosby could muster.

But having watched him up close for seven games, seeing his economy of movement outside the crease, his feistiness in the corners and his uncanny knack for delivering the puck perfectly for an on-rushing teammate, he gets the nod as a more important player in a seminal game at this juncture of his career.

A mea culpa is in order. No matter how good Ovechkin was the past week and a half, he wasn't as complete and versatile as Crosby was with the season in the balance. Sid the Kid has won seven playoff series and will soon play in his second Eastern Conference finals and possibly second Stanley Cup finals.

The Great Eight is awesome and the most original, organic and exciting player in the game. But in 21 riveting playoff games, his team is 1-2 in Game 7s, and last night the Capitals were at least a year away from their first Cup finals in the Ovechkin era.

That isn't some grand statement about what's better for the game -- old-school, roughhouse North Americans who grew up on frozen ponds or big-hitting, goal-scoring sensations from abroad.

It's just the truth after the most thorough, seize-the-moment night in Crosby's young, brilliant beginning. Ovechkin was a supernova in this series, but Sid the Kid was better.

They combined for an ungodly 27 points -- 16 goals and 11 assists -- in seven games. They went three overtimes and played five, scintillating one-goal games, going back and forth with haymakers, combining for a historic hat trick apiece in Game 2. Like children locked in a free-swinging pillow fight, the deal was one of them would have to drop before they quit.

When Ovie and the Capitals went down hard on the last night of their season to Crosby and a more playoff-hardened group of skaters and scorers, Sid the Kid had decisively won round one of hopefully many playoff scrums to come.

"Just being around him today, the look in his eyes, you could tell," said Eddie Johnston, 73, the former Penguins coach and now senior adviser for hockey operations. "It was game time."

Eddie of course said he would start a team with Crosby before anyone. It was hard to disagree after Game 7.

Simeon Varlamov, the Capitals' 21-year-old goalie, told Russian writers afterward he was surprised Crosby said, "Great series" to him in the handshake line, "considering he probably scored more goals against me than anyone in the playoffs. . . . For what he did in this series, they should build a monument for him."

Maybe the greatest praise came from Bruce Boudreau, the Washington coach and Ontario's own, who has seen a good Canadian player or two in his day:

"I always thought he was a great player, but I didn't know how great a player," said Boudreau, who had earlier in the series called Crosby the second-best player in hockey. "He's always on. He doesn't take time off."

Surely not last night in Washington, where Crosby essentially tucked the nation that invented the sport safely into bed. For the moment, their game was safe from that emotional interloper, celebrating his grand success in such an unCanadian way.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/13/AR2009051303989_...
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2009 at 10:28 »

Fedotenko has been a beast since the arrival of Kunitz and Guerin. I was calling for his head earlier in the season and I still don't think he's a top 6 guy, but he's been doing the little things extremely well. I wonder if we can get him resigned at a decent rate this offseason, given our lack of depth at forward. I like him as a third liner who can skate with the big boys for a shift here and there.

Satan also impressed me last night. I didn't think I'd notice much of a difference sitting Sykora for him, but he looks like he's got some gas left in the tank.

Even with a healthy Gonchar I could not see this team beating Detroit or Vancouver. I think if we get past the Caps though beating Carolina is a possibility. But like I said, beat these fuckers Monday and everything else is icing.

Great post.

Fedotenko has really stepped his game up in the post-season and his game was looking good shortly before his injury in the regular season.  The guy has a very underrated shot.  It's not exactly the hardest shot in the league, but it's accurate and he works to get open.  He's willing to throw the body around when he has to.  He doesn't simply stand around and wait for the puck to come to him, he's willing to work the corners and work for the puck.  I love him on a third line and if he shoots the puck more often, I have no problem putting him on a second line if we have a good winger on Malkin's other wing. 

As for Satan, my opinion of him has not changed much since his arrival.  Although he has shown more of a pulse in this series than he has all season long, that's for sure.  At $3.5 million, I would hope so.  That's the least he can do for the team.  Eitherway, he could have had a HT last night and he blew three beautiful scoring opportunities.  So is he playing a better game compared to the regular season?  Sure.  Is that saying much? Not really in my book.  Some are ready to resign this guy and bring him back next season if he takes a cut in pay, not me.  Let him walk and use the cash to either resign Fedotenko (who I would rather have for reasons stated above), sign a different FA who is willing to play a full season of hockey and work for his money or attempt to bring Guerin back for another season.

I did not think we were going to get past the second round.  I felt we would steal one in the first round, but the second round?  I didn't think so.  If we get past this next round, anything can happen in the finals.  If we play the way we did last night, I think we can beat anybody in the league.  We played clean, no dumb penalties.  Our PP is starting to click which is the key in my opinion.  Teams are starting to fear taking penalties against us again.  We were getting production from Adams, Fedotenko, Staal, etc.

Get past this next round and it's anybody's game.

Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: