Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 12:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It has been confirmed  (Read 1627 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« on: May 01, 2009 at 08:08 »

Birg Virgil IS a Big Virgil

To make a long story short, the other night I was riding my bike and broke the frame.  Too much torque pushing my big self up the hill.  The bike I have did experience this type of problem with the 2007 model year, but it was allegedly fixed in 2008.  This certainly wouldn't happen on a bike without a rear suspension (I'm not 750lbs) but there are more stress points when you add in a suspension with moving parts.

So, the manufacturer is going to send me (my bike shop is taking care of it) a new frame in a different model that is a step up from what I have now.  The retail price for a bike with this frame is about $800 MORE than my old one.  It is much more beefy and ony weighs about 1 lb more.  The bike shop will move everything from my current bike to the new one (brakes, shifters, wheels, cranks, cassette, etc.) so this little upgrade won't cost me anything except for a little time.

Right now they are behind in production, or something, so the lead time for my shop to get this frame is 30 days.  He is going to see if Niner will send him a demo bike for me to use until he can get a new frame from them.

I don't know how others are able to paste images into posts, but I can't figure out how to do it, so here is a link to the R.I.P 9 on Niner's site.  The 5th picture shows the suspension.  To the left of the shock is a wish-bone shaped feature.  That is what broke on my old one.  It had two separate rods connecting to the frame instead of the wish-bone.

http://www.ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=bikes&taxid=94

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009 at 09:02 by aj_law » Logged

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009 at 08:20 »

"forged for stiffness"

Hmmmm.

To post an image use the "[" img "]" and "[" /img "]" tags but be sure to remove the qutoes and spaces.  Or click the little icon below the italicized capital "I" which is next to the capital "B" which are all above the text box when you're typing a post.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009 at 08:20 »

Is there a place we can send donations?
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009 at 08:22 »

"forged for stiffness"

Hmmmm.

To post an image use the "[" img "]" and "[" /img "]" tags but be sure to remove the qutoes and spaces.  Or click the little icon below the italicized capital "I" which is next to the capital "B" which are all above the text box when you're typing a post.

OK, thanks for the scoop.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009 at 08:25 »

Is there a place we can send donations?

Otis - I want to party with you cowboy - the two of us together? Forget it.

I'm not going to make any smart remarks sice Brinker is already sharpening his knives and heading west!!!!

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009 at 08:51 »

Never woulda happened if you went with a Huffy.  Next time, don't be so friggin' cheap.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009 at 08:55 »

Never woulda happened if you went with a Huffy.  Next time, don't be so friggin' cheap.

And upon closer inspection of those bike pics, notice how the center bar angles downwards.  That bar should be absolutely parallel to the ground, otherwise it's a chick bike.  That's the problem, it was never designed for your bulk in the first place.  I'm surprised the bike shop didn't point out this obvious error.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009 at 09:04 »

Tried editing BV's post to include bike pics as image, but for some reason, it ain't workin' for me.

I fail.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009 at 09:13 »

And upon closer inspection of those bike pics, notice how the center bar angles downwards.  That bar should be absolutely parallel to the ground, otherwise it's a chick bike.  That's the problem, it was never designed for your bulk in the first place.  I'm surprised the bike shop didn't point out this obvious error.

Duh - If I ride a chick bike, expectations are lower and I routinely exceed expectations. 

They slanted that bar to lower the "stand over" height for the Nancy boys.

Actually, I just go hang out at trail head parking lots and stuff so I look like I'm riding. 

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009 at 10:32 »

BV's replacement bike has arrived!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: