Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 18, 2014 at 11:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Round 1 to Thursday night?  (Read 2550 times)
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« on: May 04, 2009 at 07:34 »

Does anyone like this idea?  I love my Saturday draft day experience...  Grilling out.  TV on the deck.  Why would Goodell want to take that away from me? 

Anyway, if you are on facebook and disagree with this move I started a group if you would like to join. 

If you like this idea, please tell me why?

PUMA
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009 at 08:41 »

I understand they want more advertising dollars, but if I have to choose between watching the Washington Redskins decide their draft pick and a new episode of The Office, I'm going with The Office every time.  Draft weekend is like a holiday now and I really don't think I'd watch it if it was on a Thursday or Friday night. 

I think if the league gets too greedy and makes this move they are going to regret it.  It's amazing they can convince millions of people to watch something so mundane in the first place, let alone if they have the audacity to air it in primetime.  I can't imagine a lot of husbands are going to win the battle of NFL Draft vs. Grey's Anatomy anyway, at least if those husbands plan on getting laid again before training camp starts.  eck02

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009 at 08:42 »

It's a terrible idea.  I understand that they want to squeeze out revenue where possible.  The Sat/Sun draft is  already a made-for-TV event.  If they split off the first round to Thur, when do they resume?  Fri for rd 2?  Sat for rd 3 and Sun for the rest?  WTF?

Don't mess with it, Goodell, you'll only screw it up for everyone.  As some wise man said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  You have a machine that prints money, are you really gonna monkey with it in an attempt to make it print even more money?  Have even the slightest clue how it works?   Hmmmm.

I might write Bud Selig about this.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009 at 12:15 »

And that, good sir, would be an appropriate response.

With the 18 game schedule and now this, you'd think Goodell would be a good fit at AIG.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009 at 12:33 »

And that, good sir, would be an appropriate response.

With the 18 game schedule and now this, you'd think Goodell would be a good fit at AIG.

I bet he has AIGS.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009 at 13:56 »

Better yet, one round per day, in reverse.  The draft is conducted over the usual two days, but is then televised with R7 on a Saturday, R6 on Sunday, R5 on Monday, R4 on Tuesday, R3 on Wednesday, R2 on Thursday, Friday there's nothing, to build suspense, and then R1 on Saturday.

Have to eliminate that pesky scroll of players taken, and use some careful editing to make sure you don't ruin the suspense.  Bring in Ryan Seacrest for the R1 finale.  "OK, Matthew Stafford and Abe Winklemitts... please step to the center of the stage... one of you is the next overall first selection in the NFL draft... and one of you is going to work as a librarian..."

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009 at 14:01 »

Better to be Abe Winklemitts, than Jeff Twaddle.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009 at 15:08 »

You mean DECKHAND Jeff Twaddle?

Because "Jeff Twaddle" is such a common name, you need to sort of narrow it down. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009 at 15:20 »

You mean DECKHAND Jeff Twaddle?

Because "Jeff Twaddle" is such a common name, you need to sort of narrow it down. 

Yeah, he could be confused with CUPSTACKER Jeff Twaddle, and we wouldn't want that.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009 at 11:02 »

Better yet, one round per day, in reverse.  The draft is conducted over the usual two days, but is then televised with R7 on a Saturday, R6 on Sunday, R5 on Monday, R4 on Tuesday, R3 on Wednesday, R2 on Thursday, Friday there's nothing, to build suspense, and then R1 on Saturday.

Is there a phone in vote for who we want them to take?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: