Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 20, 2014 at 00:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Round Three: Canes vs Pens  (Read 3423 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009 at 10:33 »

Bob McKenzie has stated that there are no suspensions and that Ruutu is doubtful and Cole will possibly play with the extra day off.

After seeing the replay of the hit from a few different angles instead of that back angle, it does appear that Cooke extended his leg while turning his hips.  Does it deserve a suspension?  Sure.  It was a dirty hit.  Should he get one? Ovechkin didn't get one, why should Cooke? 

I blame the league.  They are the one's who set the tone for these playoffs when it comes to questionable hits.  According to them, that's a two minute penalty the last time I saw Gonchar limping off the ice. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009 at 10:56 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009 at 14:55 »

NHL decides not to suspend Penguins winger Cooke
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Penguins left winger Matt Cooke will not be suspended for a knee-on-knee hit on Carolina forward Erik Cole during Game 1 of the Eastern Conference final Monday at Mellon Arena.

It was not immediately known if Cooke will be fined by the National Hockey League office.

Cole was injured on the hit, which occurred during the third period, and played sparingly after that.

Neither he nor teammate Tuomo Ruutu, who also was injured Monday, participated in Carolina's practice today. Hurricanes Coach Paul Maurice said their status for Game 2 tomorrow night has not been determined.

Dave Molinari can be reached at dmolinari@post-gazette.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09140/971481-100.stm#ixzz0G4v7HTFi&A
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009 at 07:54 »

Well the defense had a poor performance, but the forwards definitely came to play tonight. I think we were outplayed until about midway through the second, when we seemed to turn things on. And I still don't think they have the blue-liners capable of hanging with our top two lines.

Regarding the defense, this shit might fly against Carolina, but if they think they are going to get away with not clearing the zone or the front of the net against Detroit, we're going to be watching a 4-0 sweep in the finals. Tighten the screws for the love of all that is holy.

The forwards definitely have that jump back from the Washington series. If anyone was due to show up in the box score, it was Kunitz, and he did with an earlier assist on the Crosby goal that was just to damn pretty, and of course the goal he scored later himself. Plus it was nice to see him step in and protect Sid in that scuffle. Talbot = clutch, enough said. Kennedy, Fedontenko, Guerin, all with solid games.

Was there a more underrated pickup this season than Craig Adams? Didn't think much of it at the time, but this guy is exactly what championship caliber teams need. In fact, that entire checking line might be the most consistent line night in and night out. They are simply good at what they do, cycling puck possesion in the other teams zone and wearing out their top line. I wonder if there has been any consideration to getting those guys some PP time when the first unit struggles. I could see them grinding out a garbage goal or two.

Geno, what a beast. I never even saw 66 or 68 score one like his third goal, no-look-behind-the-back-top-shelf. Wow. Nothing like sitting in your living room in silent stunned awe trying to figure out if what you just saw really happened  Shocked  . Dis-gust-ing. MVP.

It would be nice to keep pace with the douchbags from Detroit. Going to need every advantage we can get.

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009 at 09:17 »

Very fun game to be at, but emotionally draining.  We score one, they score one, we score one, they score one.

For the Penguins...

While he did not register a point last night and outside of his scuffle at the end of the game, that was the best game I have seen Satan play all season long.  I think he's finally starting to realize that if he wants to continue his career in hockey after these playoffs are over, he's going to have to show up every night and not only on nights when he feels like it.  It's about time.

Fleury probably played one of his worst games in these playoffs last night.  Allowing a few soft one's and having trouble controlling his rebounds.  I put more of the blame on Fleury for allowing four last night than I do our defense, but all goaltenders have bad games.  Look at Cam Ward.  Hell, look at Marty Brodeur and Roberto Luongo in these playoffs.  There are time when you need your offense to bail you out, that occured last night for Fleury.

We still have some major troubles when we attempt to clear our zone.  Whether the opposition is putting up 5-on-5 pressure or while we are on the PK, we have problems simply clearing the zone.  We turn the puck over way too much.  That shit may fly with the Carolina Hurricanes, but it won't fly with the Red Wings.

What is there to really say about Malkin?  Many have been knocking the guy for not showing up for the big games, I think he shut them up for the time being.  Simply put, the guy is unbelievable.  We should also give Chad LaRose a round of applause for deciding to throw punches at Malkin last night.  IMO, that is what truly morphed Malkin into Carolina's worst nightmare.

It was nice to see Kunitz finally get off the schneid.  For a guy who works that hard every night, it was only a matter of time.  Hopefully that will spark him for future games.  The exact same goes for Kennedy.  Another guy who's motor NEVER stops running.  Non-stop hustle for 60 straight minutes when it comes to the both of them.

Finally, our PP is alive and kicking.  Even when we don't score, more times than not we are putting on some heavy pressure and unlike the majority of the season leading up to these playoffs, it actually resembles a PP 90% of the time.  If you want to go deep in the playoffs and have a chance at winning a cup, you need a PP.  Ours is back.

For the Hurricanes...

Will the real Eric Staal and Ray Whitney please stand up?  Cam Ward giving up six goals last night or their defense looking weak and confused doesn't surprise me nearly as much as those two being held to zero goals in two games.  Considering that Staal had 40 goals and over 30 assists this year and Whitney has pretty much owned us over the years, shutting down those two tops my list of the unexpected up to this point in the series.

Carolina's defense is pretty much what I expected it to be.  In the words of Michel Therrien, "they are soffff".  While Cam Ward did not play his best of games last night, his defense is nothing to write home about.  They are not physical.  Malkin and Crosby do not have to worry about a Zdeno Chara or Chris Pronger type defensemen in their faces for 60 minutes.  Our forwards are too much for them.  We can cycle on them (leading to PP's), skate around them and pass on them with no problem.  They give Malkin and Crosby way too much space.  Barry Melrose has praised that defense in the past, but I'm not seeing it.

I will end it on a positive note and what was already known with that Carolina team.  They play as a team and never give up.  There is no quit in them.  Unfortunately for them, that can only hold you over for so long before you run into a team like our's who also never gives up and has a solid defense and the two best players in the league.  While this series is far from over, taking both at home is huge.  Would I be shocked to see Carolina win the next one?  Not at all.  Would I be shocked to see them win both at home? Absolutely.

Up two games to none in the semi-finals? I can't complain at all.  Considering what this team looked like four months ago, this is quite an accomplishment.  A few trades/free agent grabs later and a PP that is actually starting to click and we are two games away from the Stanley Cup finals. 

headbang   

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009 at 09:39 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009 at 09:40 »

Case in point when it comes to skill, determination and heart trumping heart and determination...

Canes can't slow Malkin
BY LUKE DECOCK - Staff Writer
Published: Fri, May. 22, 2009 05:48AM

PITTSBURGH -- So far in these playoffs, the Carolina Hurricanes unmasked the winningest goalie in the history of the NHL, picking apart Martin Brodeur. They found a way around a seemingly insurmountable 6-foot-9 barricade in Zdeno Chara, the best defenseman in the NHL in this season.

Good teams find a way, as Paul Maurice would say, but there may not be any way to stop Evgeni Malkin. No one has been able to match their hustle, yet the Hurricanes may finally have run into a player -- and a team -- whose raw talent could trump their heart.

Malkin had a hat trick and four points Thursday as the Pittsburgh Penguins pounded the Hurricanes 7-4, taking a 2-0 lead in the series and sending the Hurricanes back to North Carolina staggered.

"He stepped up tonight," Penguins forward Sidney Crosby said. "Every time he was out there, he was making something happen, and it wasn't always the same way, whether it was on the rush or going to the net."

Malkin's second goal was a back-breaker, a stuff at the post that turned out to be the game-winner after Patrick Eaves had tied the score 4-4 early in the third period.

His third was a thing of beauty and all but unstoppable, a no-look backhand over Cam Ward's left shoulder while moving away from the net. Dennis Seidenberg, who stood between Malkin and the net, stuck out a foot to try and block it. The puck never came close.

"He's a good goalie, but I tried to shoot every shift and tried to score," Malkin said. "Tonight, I was a little bit lucky. It's good."

The Hurricanes talked before the game about doing a better job on Malkin and Crosby, cozying up to them rather than letting them make plays. Their performance in that regard was far from inspiring. If anything, they gave them more space, at least all the space they needed.

"It's all about our game," Seidenberg said. "If we don't give them any time and space, we're fine. In the first game, they didn't get too many chances. Tonight, we gave them too many openings to create stuff."

The odd thing was that his game had the feel of the big games the Hurricanes have won this season. They showed the kind of resiliency that allowed them to bounce back from their two previous Game 1 defeats with Game 2 victories.

The Penguins scored twice early in the first period. Both times, the Hurricanes answered quickly and even took the lead going into the second period. When Chris Kunitz scored his first goal of the playoffs with 7.3 seconds left in the second to put the Penguins back into the lead, Eaves responded with his first goal of the playoffs early in the third.

They showed the willingness to go to the net and knack for timely goals that beat Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils. They flashed the speed and skill that allowed them to maneuver around Chara and the Boston Bruins.

These were circumstances that have played into Carolina's favor this postseason. Malkin and the Penguins present a completely different kind of challenge. They do what the Hurricanes do. They just do it better.

"It went back and forth, back and forth, and we usually come out with a win," Hurricanes defenseman Tim Gleason said.

"I obviously wasn't pleased tonight. We didn't shut them down, and that's my responsibility."

Malkin now has six points in two games after a goal and assist on Monday in Pittsburgh's 3-2 win in Game 1.

Those are impressive statistics.

Here's another one: Teams that fall behind 2-0 on the road have won only 22 times, out of 229 in that situation. Those are pretty steep odds.

Saturday, back on home ice, the Hurricanes will have their crowd behind them and a chance to get the matchups they think will allow them to better handle Malkin and Co. It may not be enough.

The Hurricanes took care of Brodeur. They took care of Chara. Malkin presents their toughest task yet.

luke.decock@newsobserver.com, 919-829-8947 or blogs.newsobserver.co m/decock
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009 at 09:42 »

Another note, I was having trouble finding a reason to hate the Hurricanes like I hate the Flyers and downright loathe the Capitals, but the fact that they started gooning it up last night when the game was out of reach (as they did against Boston) is good enough reason.

And I don't care who you are, when you get your ass kicked by Miro Satan, you should be the laughing stock of the NHL playoffs. Patrick Eaves should never live that one down.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009 at 12:19 by Merman1983 » Logged
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009 at 11:56 »

Great photo merman!  Couldn't believe that was Satan in there.

Pitkanen turned down Guerin...which was ashame as Guerin's kids would have had quite a show to watch from the stands.

Letang ain't a fighter but he'll at least get in there and stand his ground

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2009 at 12:19 »

Great photo merman!  Couldn't believe that was Satan in there.

Pitkanen turned down Guerin...which was ashame as Guerin's kids would have had quite a show to watch from the stands.

Letang ain't a fighter but he'll at least get in there and stand his ground

Absolute cheap shot, elbow to Letang's melon, on an icing no less. I'm in total agreement about hatred for the Hurricanes. I had no reason to dislike them before last night but now I hope we just continue to embarrass the shit out of them.

I was as hard as anyone on Satan from the day he was signed but I gotta admit, he gained a little respect last night. I still hope we find a better option than bringing him back next season.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009 at 23:01 »

Good news for us tonight, Chicago beats Detroit in OT.  Drag it out Chicago.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009 at 07:05 »

Game 3 = Complete domination Grin

After watching the way they played last night and after listening to Joe Corvo's interview between periods two and three, I'm convinced that the Hurricanes are a defeated hockey team. 

The Crosby-Malkin show is just too much for the Canes to handle.  Malkin has personally made Gleason his lap dog.  The Canes had the luxury of playing a Jersey team who did not have a defense in round one and a Boston team who completely underperformed in round two.  Now they are playing a team who is firing on all cylinders. Good luck.

I will say this though.  I tip my hat to Paul Maurice and the Raleigh print media.  Unlike Filthadelphia and Washington, there are no lame-ass excuses, no league conspiracies, no bitching and moaning about the officiating...

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/hurricanes/story/1540515.html

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/tudor/story/1540524.html

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/hurricanes/story/1540554.html

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009 at 07:14 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: