Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 06:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stanley Cup Finals  (Read 6816 times)
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009 at 14:28 »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2009/news?columnist=burnside_scott&id=4211064

Well if you believe in jinxes Burnside picks the Pens in 6. Also, if you believe in jinxes, Sid, Geno, and Gonch already jinxed the whole thing by touching, posing with, hugging, etc. the Prince of Wales throphy.

Pens in 7, on the douchebags home ice.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009 at 18:23 »

Absolute must do: At least split the first two games in Detroit

Were in trouble if we lose both of em' again - It's just a hole that's too deep against that team.

That's the absolute truth.  This is a team who has been winning games in the Stanley Cup semi-finals (one by a score of 6-1) with their star defenseman out and one of their many offensive stars.  That's pretty damn scary when you think about it.  You look at them and they really don't have many weakneses.  They are strong in pretty much every aspect of the game.

In order to beat the Red Wings, we are going to have to play an almost perfect series.  Just to name a few of the things that we have to do, let's start with the fact that Fleury can't allow soft one's.  If he feels the need to play the puck, play it very wisely.  More importantly, he needs to control his rebounds.  With the amount of pressure the Wings put in front of the net, he can't afford to let out juicy rebounds.  We can't take the stupid penalties.  While penalties are inevitable, stay out of the box as much as possible.  We can't turn the puck over in our own zone.  While it may not have hurt us as much against the Flyers, Caps or Canes, the Wings transition game is disgusting and they will pounce on us.  Basically, do not give them anything for free.  Make them work for everything. 

While I have no doubt that Malkin and Sid will be ready to go, we are going to need production from others.  Guys like Satan, Talbot, Kennedy, Staal (offensively) and Kunitz are going to have to start netting some goals.  If you look at Detroit, those type of players are chipping pucks in for them.  Players who are not exactly known to be big-time goal scorers, guys like Helm, Cleary and Filppula.  Also, if I were Bylsma, I would tell them to hit everything that moves.  You want to throw Hossa off his game?  Hit him.  Datysuk? Hit him.  Zetterberg? Hit him.  Play them physical.  Wear down the older guys on the roster.  Make them pay.

This is a tough series to call, but I'm going with the Penguins in seven.

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009 at 19:49 »

Yup, Fluery is definately a key- and I still feel like might be the team's one potential weakness.  He stands on his head some games like game 7 of the caps series, and game 4 of the Canes series, but other games/times I feel he still lets in some soft ones that should be easily padded away.  A little inconsistent still.

Huet kept Chicago in the game Wednesday night (50 shots??? and half of those terrific saves.)  Fluery needs to be really sharp.  The thing that scares me the most are the lively boards at Joe Louis arena... I can see a mis-play or have their D shoot one wide to pop back infront with Fluery out of position.  Holstrom and Helm would have an easy goal.  He had a hell of a time with Ovechkin's high rockets... I'm sure Zetterburg and Franzen will be aiming there....

Of course, if Fluery has a couple shaky games, Malkin and Crosby will have to go nuts... perhaps a few 6-5 victories??? Smiley
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009 at 23:31 »

Well if you believe in jinxes Burnside picks the Pens in 6

So is Buccigross.  It's not really a bad read considering it's ESPN...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2009/news?columnist=buccigross_john&id=4212524

Also, if you believe in jinxes, Sid, Geno, and Gonch already jinxed the whole thing by touching, posing with, hugging, etc. the Prince of Wales throphy.

I for one do not believe in jinxes.  Afterall, it worked out pretty well for the two on the right...

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009 at 23:42 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009 at 16:01 »

Penguins rally set for Tuesday in Market Square
Friday, May 29, 2009
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pittsburgh and Allegheny County have scheduled a Penguins pep rally for noon Tuesday in Market Square, Downtown.

Musical entertainment will be included.

Fans are encouraged to wear the team's colors that day.

The Penguins play the first home game of the Stanley Cup championship that night at the Mellon Arena.

Read more: "Penguins rally set for Tuesday in Market Square" - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09149/97369...0Gvo3CGHE&A
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009 at 21:53 »

You may thank me by sending me a nice bottle of Scotch.

If they win the cup, I'll buy you a case of it.

(one bottle at a time, of course)

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009 at 11:09 »

Pavel Datsyuk will not play in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals, according to Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock. Babcock has also confirmed that forward Kris Draper will be sidelined for tonight's game, even though he plans to take the warmup with the team. Defenceman Nicklas Lidstrom and Jonathan Ericsson are ready to go and will be in the lineup against Pittsburgh. - TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11009
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009 at 15:05 »

Pavel Datsyuk will not play in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals, according to Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock. Babcock has also confirmed that forward Kris Draper will be sidelined for tonight's game, even though he plans to take the warmup with the team. Defenceman Nicklas Lidstrom and Jonathan Ericsson are ready to go and will be in the lineup against Pittsburgh. - TSN

Good news.  Draper's their sandpaper.

Four hours til gametime and I'm nervous as hell.  Last year I (and I think most others here) were proud to be there, but, uh, realisitc about their chances to actuallly win the thing.

This year, the overlap of realism and optimism is much larger.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009 at 15:28 »

This year, the overlap of realism and optimism is much larger.

Click it, yo.

No predictions but I'm pulling for you guys.  The red menace must be stopped!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009 at 15:30 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009 at 15:51 »

Well if there was ever a time to steal a game in Detroit, this is it. Their two best faceoff guys are out and 2 of their top defensemen are fucking hobbling.

Could the lower body problem Lindstrom has be a dreaded groin injury? And Ericsson just had his appendix out two days ago and he's playing? He should be laying in a bed somewhere eating ice cream. Sweet jeebus, our forwards better take advantage of these guys being less than 100%.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: