Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 22, 2014 at 16:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pirates Trade McLouth  (Read 2071 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Jun 03, 2009 at 21:40 »

Then people wonder why PNC is a fucking morgue every night...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09154/974921-100.stm
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 06:26 »

Congratulations for finally making the Major Leagues, Nate.

What that organization is doing in a publicly funded stadium is criminal. Someone should be held responsible. What happened to "We need a new ballpark to be competitive"? When is that going to happen? This team is stealing money from this city. Anyone who attends a baseball game in Pittsburgh is a fool and is just feeding into this nonsense. There is no "plan" to eventually field a competitive team. Just a business plan to fleece this city out of as much money as possible until the Pirates are run out of town with torches and pitchforks.

There was a time when I actually was a baseball fan but this team has made me hate the sport. This city would be better off without them.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 08:12 »

I am going to a game June 28, and I am just disgusted about it. Why am I effing wasting my money and enable those worthless Nuttings? Unbelievable.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 08:56 »

I'm going to the park whenever I'm in town (which is not often) because I love the stadium and love the view and love being there.  I am a "fan" of the Pirates, meaning that I continue to pull for them even though the season is usually over by tax day.  But, there is no doubt that management of the team is abysmal. 

So, you're out of LAST place, 4 games under .500 in June, and you trade one of your best player/prospects for Braves' leftovers?  Teams don't trade away pitching prospects unless they're no good.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 09:49 »

I have no problem trading McLouth in theory. They aren't going to contend for a few years so trading a guy at his highest value for prospects is probably a good move.

However, our GM continues to get fleeced on these types of deals and get other teams garbage in return. Has anyone seen Jason Bay's line this season? It is obscene and the Pirates only got a servicible 3b, a 4th OFer, and two pitchers that will never contribute for him.

Nate has a plus bat as a Cfer and a gold glove. Trading him should net you at least 2 impact prospects and a third prospect with upside in a very low level of the minors. Instead the Pirates receive what looks like a 4th Ofer (all speed, no power) a AAA hack and a young pitcher with possible upside that hasn't quite figured it out yet.

If you're going to trade impact players, you need impact prospects in return. Pirates management stinks, and it's only a matter of time before they are completely irrelevant in this town.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 10:25 »

You trade proven young talent for a bunch of unproven prospects. Let me guess? I'm going to hear the same old B.S. I have heard every other time we have traded proven talent for a couple of hacks? "Just wait and see before you judge. Give it time. This is not a money saving trade, it's for the good of our future."

At some point you have to keep some of these guys. At some point you have to build a team instead of trading away your talent.

It's all good though. This organization has it all under control. It's all part of the 'master plan' that Nutting/Huntington have in store for Pittsburgh fans.  I mean, we have all the reason in the world to trust these guys. Look at their track record.

Even IF these prospects prosper, we will trade them away three years down the road.  Add Alvarez to that list when he eventually starts to prosper.  It's the same old story with this team.  Trade away our best/better players for unproven prospects for our "future".  Just another one of the many reason's why I will never attend that ball park again until there is a new ownership group and front office.

Until then, I will continue to be just one of the many who decide to stay home.  Cheap ass bobbleheads, the view and firework nights are not doing it for me anymore.  It's time for the locals who actually paid for that ball park to get what we paid for......an actual MLB team.
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2009 at 10:40 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 11:00 »

I was in high school the last time the Buccos were good.  We have become the punchline of MLB.  What do we have to do to get new ownership?  I saw this trade and was in disbelief.  The people of Pittsburgh would love the opportunity to support a winner.  We do not have a NBA team to root for...nor do I think the people would want a team.  Baseball sucks in my mind, only because of the lack of a salary cap, profit sharing and free agency prices.  I am done with it....for good unless we get new ownership and baseball levels the playing field.

FUCK MLB

Brinker

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 12:50 »

I have no problem trading McLouth in theory. They aren't going to contend for a few years so trading a guy at his highest value for prospects is probably a good move.

That is all well and good if he were in the last year of his contract. Sure. He was signed to a THREE YEAR deal in February, with an option for a fourth. That is not who you trade, unless it is strictly a money move. Which, of course, they deny. Well when someone says it isn't about the money, you can be damn sure it was about the money. Fuck the Nuttings!

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
RoundTripperKipper
N00b

« Reply #8 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 13:50 »

I understand the bitterness of the residents of Pittsburgh and its surrounding areas. I am a huge bucco fan and try to get to around 3 games a year. My kids love the stadium and the experience. We have been lucky because when we have gone the have won most of the time. I will go to games and continue to do so and I am not a fool.

As for the trade itself. Nate has reached his ceiling. McCutchen is ready. He has the possiblity of being better than Nate and is only 22. The pirates have a glut of OF's in the minors. They need pitching and got two relatively good ones back in the trade along with a high ceiling OF in Hernandez. We will see how they pan out.

I feel the GM has been doing his best with what the Pirates have. You all continue to bitch about the trades then complain how badly the team sucks. If the team sucks the players are a big part of it so trying to trade them for big time prospects is not very possible.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #9 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 14:08 »

I understand the bitterness of the residents of Pittsburgh and its surrounding areas. I am a huge bucco fan and try to get to around 3 games a year. My kids love the stadium and the experience. We have been lucky because when we have gone the have won most of the time. I will go to games and continue to do so and I am not a fool.

As for the trade itself. Nate has reached his ceiling. McCutchen is ready. He has the possiblity of being better than Nate and is only 22. The pirates have a glut of OF's in the minors. They need pitching and got two relatively good ones back in the trade along with a high ceiling OF in Hernandez. We will see how they pan out.

I feel the GM has been doing his best with what the Pirates have. You all continue to bitch about the trades then complain how badly the team sucks. If the team sucks the players are a big part of it so trying to trade them for big time prospects is not very possible.

How many times do they give up something for nothing?
How many times have we drafted in the top 5 in the last 20 years?

C'mon do not your love for the Pirates cloud the facts...our ownership sucks the big one....you can't make chicken sandwiches from chicken shit

Brinker

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: