Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 05:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The top line  (Read 688 times)
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« on: Jun 05, 2009 at 12:07 »

Whether through lack of playing together, or lack of skill to complement Crosby, I don't think this line has clicked well through the playoffs.  It's more apparant playing a very good possession/press team in Detroit....and the matchup vs. Zetterburg's line.

Who should the Pens target in FA...or switch to better compliment Crosby?  Kunitz stays IMO due to having a couple years left on his deal.  I think he's a pretty good passer and will compliment Crosby well as they play together more.  I don't think Guerin stays and has proven to be more of a liability than asset in the finals, IMO.

The other winger should have good speed with quick hands to recieve and feed Crosby.

Perhaps:
1) Make a push for Hossa again... I don't mind his return considering the circumstances, and would really compliment Crosby..
2) I think Malkin and Talbot are great together, as well as Staal's line.  I wouldn't want to break them up if I were Bylsma, but maybe move Kennedy to the first line?
3) Anyone know of other FAs that might work well?
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 12:47 »

Pretty sure all these guys are free agents. There's some centerman too (Zetterburg I think) but obviously we aren't looking that way.

Marian Gaborik- Minnesota
Martin Havlat- Chicago
Marian Hossa- Detroit
Johan Franzen- Detroit
Brian Gionta- New Jersey
Alex Tanguay- Montreal

I'm a huge Havlat fan, and would love to see him in black and gold. He would be ridiculous on Sid's line IMO. He's had injury issues though. And would he demand 5+ mil per?

Gaborik misses 70 games a season, pass. Fuck Hossa, and I've read reports he's signing with Detroit long-term. Does that make Franzen available? I don't know, they seem to find ways to fit all these guys under the cap. Tanguay has had a few 25+ goal seasons, but is he any better than our in-house options? Gionta had 48 goals in 05-06, and has been inconsistent.

I dunno what their offseason options are going to be. I like Kunitz on Sid's line as the crash the net and make something happen type, but I'd definitely like a young sniper on the other wing.

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 13:42 »

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 13:45 »

The Top FA

Alex Tanguay
Saku Koivu
Alexei Kovalev
Scott Niedermayer
Nik Antropov
Todd Bertuzzi
Mike Cammalleri
Nikolai Khabibulin
Martin Havlat
Martin Biron

Jordan Leopold
Sergei Zubov
Marian Hossa
Manny Legace
Dwayne Roloson
Marian Gaborik
Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin
Mats Sundin
Jay Bouwmeester

Our URFA

Penguins

Boucher, Philippe

Fedotenko, Ruslan

Gill, Hal

Minard, Chris

Pesonen, Janne

Sabourin, Dany

Satan, Miroslav

Scuderi, Rob

Sykora, Petr

Taffe, Jeff

Zigomanis, Mike

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 13:48 »

Anyone know why my reputation power dropped to a 0. Just curious.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 14:48 »

Anyone know why my reputation power dropped to a 0. Just curious.

Could be a sign of your impending demise.  Dunno.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 15:20 »

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 19:27 »

Just looking at the bigger name forwards...

Alex Tanguay and Cammalleri stand out to me.  I wanted Cammalleri back in February, but I'm not sure what his asking price will be after scoring 39 goals this season.  He won't come cheap and I'm not sure Shero wants to put all his eggs in one basket.  He will probably want to spread the money around instead of giving it to one guy.  I think Tanguay is the type of guy that would prosper in our system while playing next to Sid or Geno.  As always, depending on the asking price, I would take either of them in a second.

I have no problem with the Penguins resigning Guerin at a cheaper cost.  I was very skeptical when we signed him because I didn't think he would be able to hang with Sid's speed, but he has proven me wrong.  If it's not Sid setting up Guerin, it's Guerin setting up Sid.  Seven goals, eight assists and a +8 are not exactly horrible numbers.  He battles for the puck and he's one of the very few players on this team who is willing to take a beating in front of the net.  I can't count how many screens that guy has set up since joining this team.

IMO, Hossa is completely out of the question.  Nevermind the fact that he handled himself like a complete dick during this past offseason, I just don't feel we would be willing to dish out the amount of cash that he would be asking for after this season.  Once again, putting all of our eggs in one basket.  Then again, who's to say he would even want to come back here?  Obviously we were not good enough for him during his first stint here in Pittsburgh.  Screw him.

Gaborik?  Excellent talent, but have they found a cure for osteogenesis imperfecta yet?

Havlat?  The guy has a history of shoulder problems.  Nevermind his groin, hamstring, ankle and elbow.  Love his play and feel he would fit in very nicely on our team, but at what cost and how many games will he even last?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: