Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 18, 2014 at 18:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heatley....  (Read 3082 times)
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« on: Jun 17, 2009 at 08:07 »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4265568

Any interest from the Pens?

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 08:35 »

I'm sure there is interest, but I unfortunately I don't see this team making any huge splash/signing unless salary is traded away. They have 14 guys signed for next season totaling 46.75 million or close to that. That's not including possible resignings of Scuds, Fedontenko, extensions for Letang, etc. The cap is expected to be 56 million with a possible drop to 50 million the season after (although that is just speculation).

Unless some significant salary is traded away or dropped (Dupuis makes 1.4 per!, Gonch extends and takes a paycut, etc.) our dreams of someone like Heatley (7.5 per) or Havlat (4.5 per?) in a Pens sweater just aren't going to happen.

There are still bargains out there though. Or we might just do the rent a player thing again at the deadline, which isn't a bad strategy IMO.
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2009 at 08:37 by Merman1983 » Logged
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 09:51 »

Yeah, like the Steelers, the Pens are butt up against the cap.  Maybe Ty Law will take a hometown discount.

They have some D, 4th liners, Backup goalie, and RFAs to get done.  That's going to prevent a big UFA signing.  I wonder how Detroit does it though?

So we have:

Kunitz --- Sid --- Huh?
Talbot --- Malkin --- Huh?
Cooke --- Staal --- Kennedy
Dupuis  --- Huh? ---  Godard

D:

Gonch --- Letang
Scuderi (hoping) ---  Orpik
Eaton --- Gologoski
Lovejoy

D Prioirty:

1)Get Scuderi done.

2) See how Goligoski and Lovejoy workout for us.  They are obviously RFAs and need to be resinged.  I originally thought Gill was a higher prioirty signing, but he seems to be slowing down and would be to costly.  Go with the younger farm hands.

3) Lock up Letang.  The teams future "Gonch"

For the forwards,  I could live with another year of the same Malkin line if we want to persue Fedetenko.  I think Staal's line is set and fine as-is.  We'll see how the fourth line progresses:  I think Dupuis can be interchangeable to play on the other lines as needed.  I've always thought he was good on the forecheck.

O Priorities:

1) The biggest need is an offensive compliment on Sid's line, in the 2-3 Mil range.  I'd prefer an upgrade over Guerin.  How about Samuelsson from Detroit?  Something else that can be considered is trading Kunitz to cut some salary (3.75M).  But then that leaves two wingers to replace on Sids line.

2) Getting Fedentenko resigned

3) Whatever 4th liners can be plugged in/resigned

Goalie:

1) Resign Garon.  We can entertain FAs, but I'm a fan of sticking with what you know.

« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2009 at 09:55 by DCSteelers » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 10:11 »

This is like the Kovalchuk situation all over again.  Yes, they both would be absolutely disgusting on Sid or Malkin's line and I would love to see one of the two in a Penguins jersey, but we are not talking about free agency here, this would be a trade.

Nevermind the huge cap hit we would take, consider what we would have to give up in order to get him here.  I don't think the Penguins are in a position to trade away more of their youth.  I had no problem with the Hossa trade at the time, but I wouldn't recommend that we do it again with Heatley.  For that reason alone, I wouldn't do the trade.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Colorado, LA or Edmonton trade for him.

IMO, Shero will stick with what he did this past offseason.  Pick up one or two players in the $2.5-$4.0 range and plug them on the top two lines.  Thankfully for us, there are no Miroslav Satan's on the FA list this year.  There will be some great options out there this offseason, hopefully Shero chooses wisely so we are not struggling to get into the playoffs next year.  Good wingers can be had to compliment Malkin or Sid who are not named Kovalchuk, Heatley or Hossa.

« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2009 at 10:14 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 10:29 »

Response to DCSteelers offseason suggestions:

D Prioirty:

1)Get Scuderi done.

Agree, unless he becomes this year's Nick Fisher. I'd go as high as 3 years at 2.5 per for him, but if some jackass is offering 4 million per, we are going to have to move on

2) See how Goligoski and Lovejoy workout for us.  They are obviously RFAs and need to be resinged.  I originally thought Gill was a higher prioirty signing, but he seems to be slowing down and would be to costly.  Go with the younger farm hands.

Goligoski should get a very long look next season. Resign him at a 10% raise. Gill looks like a lumbering oaf out there, but I think he's underrated by alot of people. He's uses his body well, clears the puck like an animal even with his backhand, and is great on the PK. Look like we might have to cut ties with him unless he's taking a discount to stay. Lovejoy is a total question mark to me despite his nice minor league numbers

3) Lock up Letang.  The teams future "Gonch"

This is equal with your # 1 point IMO. This kid has improved dramatically in every facet and is going to continue. Letang is going to be sooooooooo good. Lock him up now.

For the forwards,  I could live with another year of the same Malkin line if we want to persue Fedetenko.  I think Staal's line is set and fine as-is.  We'll see how the fourth line progresses:  I think Dupuis can be interchangeable to play on the other lines as needed.  I've always thought he was good on the forecheck.

I have no problem resigning Fedontenko if the price is right. He is a solid two way guy. Would like to see him bury more chances, but he's very solid all around. Third line is probably set as the "Staal as a power-forward" experiment is probably over. Dupuis makes two much as a 3rd-4th liner and is exposed as a top 6. Would like to see him traded for draft picks to dump the salary

O Priorities:

1) The biggest need is an offensive compliment on Sid's line, in the 2-3 Mil range.  I'd prefer an upgrade over Guerin.  How about Samuelsson from Detroit?  Something else that can be considered is trading Kunitz to cut some salary (3.75M).  But then that leaves two wingers to replace on Sids line.

Agree but don't want Samuelsson. I think there are better options for what would be spent on him. As far as Guerin, he'd have to take a monster discount and only play about 50 regular season games to keep him fresh for the playoffs. He's mentioned taking less to play here but we'll see when other playoff contenders come calling with bigger offers.

2) Getting Fedentenko resigned

3) Whatever 4th liners can be plugged in/resigned

Shero's speciality. Nice not to see Recchi miscast as a 3rd liner these days.

Goalie:

1) Resign Garon.  We can entertain FAs, but I'm a fan of sticking with what you know.

Eh, I think we can go cheaper than Garon here, but I guess I have no problem bringing him back.

Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 10:35 »

Well, to get Heatley, it would have to involve a trade of some sort. Unless Shero is willing to part with Staal, and there's no evidence to say he is, I don't think we have anything close to making a deal happen with Ottawa. Heatley is signed @ $7.5 mil. through the 20013/14 season as well. We would need to move more than Staal to add his salary. We would also be giving up 8 years by swapping Staal for Heatley.

I do believe our free-agency will consist of trying to retain Scuderi, Fedotenko and possibly Guerin. Also locking down Letang. Both Zigomanis and Adams played for under $1 mil. last season so there's a good chance we bring one or both back. With a lack of an increase in cap room, I don't see Shero doing anything big by way of free-agency.

I'd really like to see somebody from the Baby Pens take a huge step in their developement like...
-Pessonen (led W/B in points w/ 82 in 70 games)
-Caputi (45 points in 66 games)
-Mark Letestu (61 points in 73 games)
-John Curry (2.38 GAA, 0.916 SV%) would be much cheaper than Garon.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 10:38 »

So we have:

Kunitz --- Sid --- Jagr?
Talbot --- Malkin --- Tanguay?

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 11:03 »

IMO, our main priority should be finding a winger for the Crosby or Malkin line.  I want more of a consistent punch on those top two lines.  I would let Sykora walk (Russia showing interest) and Satan from the start.  Then look and see what you want to do with Guerin, Feds, Ziggy and Adams. 

I would love to see Guerin resign for one more year and on the cheap.  Listening to his interviews over these last few days and looking at his current situation, I don't think he would have a problem with it.  Also, listening to Malkin and Sid speak over the last few days, I don't think they would have a problem with it and I wouldn't be shocked to learn that Sid is pushing Shero to resign him.

I'm still not comfortable with Talbot and Fedotenko flanking Malkin.  One or the other is fine, but I think Geno needs a winger who is more consistent when it comes to scoring goals.  Granted, Talbot showed up huge in these playoffs, but can he do it consistently for a full season? I haven't seen it yet.  The same goes for Fedotenko.  Excellent role players, excellent third/fourth line talent, but I think Malkin deserves better.

On the fourth line, I have no problem with Dupuis down there and I would have no problem resigning Ziggy and Adams at the right price of course.  Overall, I'm not really worried about our third and fourth lines.  Resign/sign a few on the cheap and plug them in.  I'm more concerned with getting more punch on the top two.

On defense, I think Scuderi will be resigned, let Gill walk and there is no doubt in my mind that Gogo and Tanger will be resigned.  Take care of the future.  Bring up Gogo next year and let him play.  Maybe even bring up Lovejoy as insurance if need be or resign Boucher on the very cheap.

Gonch - Tanger
Scuds - Orpik
Gogo - Eaton
Lovejoy (Boucher)

As for goaltending.  I really don't care one way or the other if we keep Garon or not.  While it would be nice to have a veteran behind Fleury, he would have to take $1M and even that's pushing it.  If we let him walk, I would have absolutely no problem seeing Curry up here next year.  He looked very solid when we needed him this past season.  If they feel he is not ready, find a veteran out there who is willing to come cheaper than Garon.

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 11:09 »

So we have:

Kunitz --- Sid --- Jagr?
Talbot --- Malkin --- Tanguay?

Love the Tanguay signing, hate the idea of bringing Jagr here.

"I was pretty excited when I heard that Edmonton pushed pretty hard for me to get (there)," Jagr said Thursday at the IIHF World Hockey Championship. "I really appreciate it.

"If I ever go to (the NHL), they would be my No. 1 pick because they showed the interest first. I never forget that and I respect that. They would be my first pick."
- 4/30/09

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 11:14 »

You could trade Kunitz and some pics... and/or scrubs for Heatly.

The difference between Heatly and Kunitz is 4 million.  We are debating adding an ugrade to Sids line for 2-4 Million anyways?  Still, another sacrafice would have to be made concerning a signing in this scenario (Scuderi, RFA, Fedentenko?)....

Then find some other cheap addition to Sid's line- or promote up someone like TK...maybe Tanguay.

It could be worked that way IMO, but it's a little risky in terms of prudent cap management in the years ahead.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: