Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 10:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goligoski Inked  (Read 664 times)
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« on: Jun 17, 2009 at 13:15 »

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09168/977963-100.stm

3 year deal, no monetary details yet.

Edit: The details are listed now but not when I originally posted the link.
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2009 at 14:03 by Merman1983 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 13:28 »

The deal is worth a total of $5.5 million, and carries an annual salary-cap hit of $1,833,333.

That sounds about right.  Maybe a little higher than I expected, but I think it's worth it in the long run.  I don't have a problem with it.  Taking care of the future first.

Offensive D-men with his talent generally make alot more on the open market.

While he's only 23 and still developing, the impact he had on this team early in the season when Gonchar went down cannot be ignored.  Six goals, 14 assists and a +5 in 45 games is pretty damn good for a rookie defenseman.

The only reason he didn't stay up here was because we had a backload of defensemen.  With Whitney gone and Gonchar's future uncertain, wrapping up deals with Goligoski and Letang should be our top priorities on defense.  IMO, both will be huge assets in the very near future.
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2009 at 13:47 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 15:53 »

It's higher than expected (i thought 1-1.5 per) next year but I expect him to flourish in this more agressive system thus making it a bargain contract later on. Cost control move to avoid abitration, which I like.

It's definitely consistent with what guys around the league of equal talent are making on their second contract.

On a related note, what do we think Letang's extension will look like? 5 years at about 3 million per?

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 19:13 »

Well, one of the questions is answered on D... not sure what it means for Scuderi, but I'm taking it right now as a Gonch replacement in 10'....

With Letang, why not do a Detroit-like 6-8 year deal to spread the cap hit out?  I don't think there's a question of Letang's value after this year, and the fact he's what, 23?
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2009 at 23:56 »

According to the trib, it's sounding like they plan on keeping Gonchar around after this upcoming season...

Gonchar, 35, will become an unrestricted free agent next summer, and the Penguins have made securing the long-term services of him, Goligoski, Kris Letang among their top offseason priorities.

Letang, 22, will become a restricted free agent on July 1, 2010.

The Penguins will open discussions regarding long-term extensions for him and Gonchar on July 1 -- and they are optimistic of reaching terms before year's end.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_629975.html

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2009 at 11:35 »

If Shero's plan is to extend Gonch and lower his cap hit for next season and use that money to resign Scuderi and look for an upgrade a wing I am on board. Even though he's 35, he's still extremely effective offensively, even when his knee is destroyed.

My only fear is signing Gonch, Gogo, and Letang and losing out on Scuderi or another defense-first type. I guess if that's the case Orpik will have to take on a bigger role, especially on the PK. Would hate to lose both Scuderi and Gill though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: