Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 01, 2014 at 07:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Offseason Moves  (Read 9701 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Jun 18, 2009 at 17:01 »

Figure I would start up a separate thread dealing with our offseason signings/resignings/trades.

So we have Goligoski locked up.

While neither will be joining the big club this season, we also signed two young defenseman.  Bortuzzo back in May and Strait will be leaving BU and joining the Penguins organization...

Bortuzzo: http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=424047

Strait: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09164/977240-61.stm

We also resigned Letestu even though I see him being more of a career AHL'er.  I'll take Caputi, Jeffrey and eventually Tangradi.

Letestu: http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=415683

Tifwiw, but there are rumors going around the Burgh that the Penguins have offered Fedotenko a 3 year deal at around $2.4 per year.  That sounds about right considering he made $2.25 this past season.  If I were Fedex, I would take it.
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2009 at 17:21 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2009 at 18:33 »

Guerin stated on the Tim Benz radio show that he is not willing to take a one year deal and that he plans on playing for a few more years. I would love to keep him around for another year, but I'm not crazy about another three or four years. If he was 35, I wouldn't mind it so much, but this guy is pushing 39.

IMO, save the money and throw it towards FA or other signings. I realize this city has fallen in love with this guy over night, but "it's not personal, it's strictly business.". The Penguins organization as we know it will not collapse if we lose Bill Guerin.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2009 at 05:44 »

So much for the Fedotenko rumors...

Rossi says: He probably stays. Reports that the Penguins have already offered a three-year contract are false. They prefer another one-year deal, but would give two if his cap hit remained near what it was last season.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...=rss&feed=8
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2009 at 05:59 »

As for Guerin, I'm hoping he comes around and realizes that there are not many organizations out there who are willing to give him a multi-year contract at 38 years old, including Ray Shero and the Penguins.

I can definately see where Guerin is coming from and I don't blame him for wanting a longer contract.  He's more worried about family stability at this point in his career, but he may come to the conclusion that staying with the Penguins for another season and defending the cup may not be such a bad idea.

It beats the possibility of playing for a team going in the opposite direction of the Penguins and very possibly being dealt at the deadline again.  Plus, depending on how he produces if he takes a one year deal, there is always the chance of the Pens giving him another year.

« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2009 at 06:04 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2009 at 08:27 »

As reported by Hockey Buzz's own Andy Strickland, Bill Guerin and the Penguins are set to begin negotiation on a new contract with the team. Having spoken with Guerin about his time in Pittsburgh, I can tell you that he was absolutely blown away by the way he was received in Pittsburgh. He is also quick to point out that playing with Sidney Crosby and the rest of this group has reinvigorated him and helped him have fun playing the game again.

Though numbers have not been discussed, I believe that he will get something in the range of $2 million per on a two year deal. That is just my opinion based on what I have heard.

Andy thinks that Guerin could be signed prior to July 1st...I could see it happening in or around the draft.

After signing Goligoski, the Penguins have just under 10 million remaining under the cap and 15 players signed for next season.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=54
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2009 at 10:34 »

So much for the Fedotenko rumors...

Rossi says: He probably stays. Reports that the Penguins have already offered a three-year contract are false. They prefer another one-year deal, but would give two if his cap hit remained near what it was last season.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...=rss&feed=8

I figured as much with Fedontenko. While he had a very solid season and would have netted 20+ for us if he didn't miss those 17 games, I don't really see what he did to earn a 3 year extension, especially with the uncertainty of the cap. Frankly, it sounds made up. I'd prefer a one year deal with him, but 2 years at about 2.5 per seems good to me.

My issue with Guerin isn't performance, but age. I don't care how well you take care of yourself, 82 games is alot of fucking games. If I was Shero, I wouldn't give him more than a year AND I would make it a stipulation in his contract that he had to play less than 50 regular season games to keep him fresh for the postseason. If he walks, look elsewhere in free agency or keep floating until the deadline and look for a similar player there. I've always liked Guerin but you can't give a 39 year old 2-3 years.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2009 at 18:28 »

I was sort of hoping the Fedotenko rumor had some truth to it.  I wouldn't have minded the deal at all if it were true.  The way I look at it, he's only 30 years old.  It's not like we would have to worry about him conking out on us at the age of 33 if we gave him a longer term deal than we would to say...Bill Guerin at age 38.  Wrapping up a solid 2nd/3rd liner for 3yrs-$2.4 would not be such a bad thing.  Eitherway, I still see them getting a deal done with Fedotenko and Guerin for that matter.  

The more and more I keep reading about Scuderi's situation, the more I'm starting to realize that Scuderi could possibly be gone.  I don't think it has so much to do with his asking price or what other teams may or may not offer him, but because we seem to be going in a different direction.  Wanting to wrap up Letang long-term is completely understandable, but I was not expecting them to also get Gonchar wrapped up long-term at the age of 35.  That's not counting the contract we gave to Orpik during this past offseason and getting the Goligoski deal done last week.  

If we do let Scuderi walk, I wouldn't mind Ray Shero giving a call to the 29 year old Beauchemin and see if he wants to become a Pittsburgh Penguin.  He's not going to come in and net you goals left and right, which may not sit well with some of the fans who feel every defenseman we pick up should score 50 goals a year for some odd reason, but he's very solid in his own zone.  He's not afraid to throw the body around and block some shots.  He should come relatively cheap, he made around $1.6 last season.

« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2009 at 18:37 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2009 at 21:58 »

Penguins: Scuderi likely offseason target
Shero has plenty of players to re-sign
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It's no secret the Penguins won't be able to re-sign all of their free agents.

General manager Ray Shero said last evening that he won't even try.

"There are a few guysOlympic coach] Ron Wilson" whether to add Penguins coach Dan Bylsma to his staff for the 2010 Games in Vancouver, but that it "might be a little bit of a stretch, because [Byslma] is so new."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09174/97926...0JJQqTFNh&C

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2009 at 18:04 »

If we do let Scuderi walk, I wouldn't mind Ray Shero giving a call to the 29 year old Beauchemin and see if he wants to become a Pittsburgh Penguin.  He's not going to come in and net you goals left and right, which may not sit well with some of the fans who feel every defenseman we pick up should score 50 goals a year for some odd reason, but he's very solid in his own zone.  He's not afraid to throw the body around and block some shots.  He should come relatively cheap, he made around $1.6 last season.

I'm a big Beauchemin fan and would love to see him Scuderi walks. My problem would be losing Gill and Scuderi on the PK with no one to replace them, but Beauchemin would fill that role. In fact, getting Beauchemin on the relative cheap and being able to re-up Gill might not be such a bad idea assuming Scuderi wants more than the 2 - 2.5 Shero is likely to offer.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jun 24, 2009 at 21:20 »

I still think Scuderi will take less money to stay here if the Pens are willing to pay the price after wrapping up Gogo/Letang and planning on wrapping up Gonchar long term.

Thankfully, we are not talking about Brooks Orpik here.  Scuderi plays sound defense, but he's not throwing out checks left and right nor is he laying down the body in order to block shots on a regular basis.  Better yet, he's not a Gonchar or Lidstrom.  This guy is not carrying the puck up on the rush nor is he taking shots from the point on the PP.

I still see this as being a Brooks Orpik situation.  Stay here, get a respectable contract and win more cups.  If you continue to produce/play solid, your next contract will be higher.  Earn what you get if you want to dance with Lord Stanley.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: