Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 20:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Offseason Moves  (Read 9461 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #110 on: Jul 21, 2009 at 18:07 »

I guess since we felt the need to grab one, he's a solid #2.  He played well with the Caps last season up until his injury.

I'm not sure of the reliability, but he will supposedly make $525,000...

http://community.citizensvoice.com/blogs/penguins/archive/2009/07/21/pens-sign-brent-johnson.aspx
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #111 on: Jul 21, 2009 at 19:12 »

I guess since we felt the need to grab one, he's a solid #2.  He played well with the Caps last season up until his injury.

I'm not sure of the reliability, but he will supposedly make $525,000...

http://community.citizensvoice.com/blogs/penguins/archive/2009/07/21/pens-sign-brent-johnson.aspx

Can't really argue against the move when some backups are pulling in over $1 mil./year. I'll take Johnson at half that. Fleury should start at least 60+ games, barring injury, of course. Looks like the roster is just about set for next season. I like how we look right now. Rob Rossi was on Madden's show this afternoon and said the club is hoping Pascal Dupuis can step up his offensive game and fill in for Talbot on Geno's line. He also said to keep an eye on Caputi and Jeffrey in camp to possibly steal that opening. I don't have much faith in Dupuis as he's been given multiple shots on the top two lines and has been unimpressive. He just doesn't have the finishing touch. I'm hoping someone like Caputi or Jeffrey can adapt their games to the NHL level and break out like David Krejci for Boston or Alex Burrows from Vancouver did last year.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #112 on: Jul 21, 2009 at 19:44 »

While I have no clue what Bylsma plans on doing with the lines, I only know one thing for sure and that is I do not want to see Pascal Dupuis on that second line.  He hasn't stepped up his offensive game over the last four years, what makes them think he will magically do it this upcoming season?   

To start off the season I wouldn't mind seeing these combinations...  

Kunitz - Crosby - Guerin

Fedotenko - Malkin - Kennedy

Cooke - Staal - Caputi/Jeffrey

Dupuis - Adams - Rupp

« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2009 at 19:50 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #113 on: Jul 23, 2009 at 01:43 »

File this one under Oedipus.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=451178&navid=DL|NHL|Home

A shabby Charlie Brown.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #114 on: Jul 23, 2009 at 07:18 »

File this one under Oedipus.

Grin

It's good to see Marty's staying in the division. 
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #115 on: Jul 25, 2009 at 04:51 »

:lol:

The Flyers remain very interested in UFA's Miroslav Satan and Petr Sykora but need to move some guys to create space.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-Strickland/Polak-And-Blues-Agree-To-Contract-ExtensionFlyers8230/5/22280
BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #116 on: Jul 27, 2009 at 09:04 »

:lol:

The Flyers remain very interested in UFA's Miroslav Satan and Petr Sykora but need to move some guys to create space.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-Strickland/Polak-And-Blues-Agree-To-Contract-ExtensionFlyers8230/5/22280

That would kinda be like the opposite of what Hossa did....haha, that would be funny. 

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #117 on: Jul 28, 2009 at 15:19 »

July 28, 2009 | 10:21am ET
Penguins made offer to Gerber
TheFourthPeriod.com

Before signing unrestricted free agent goalie Brent Johnson last week, the Penguins had an offer on the table for netminder Martin Gerber, reports the Toronto Sun.

According to the paper, Gerber briefly considered an offer to back up Marc-Andre Fleury in Pittsburgh.

Instead, Gerber rejected the proposal and has signed on with Atlant Mytishchi of the Russian KHL to become their No.1 goaltender.

Johnson, meanwhile, signed a one-year deal with the Penguins last Tuesday.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/pit090728.html
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #118 on: Jul 29, 2009 at 13:55 »

What about Tangradi? I recall hearing after we acquired him in the Kunitz deal that he might be NHL ready by this season. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I heard something along those lines. I'm sure he'll start off the season in Wilkes-Barre, but if he's ready, I'd love to see him get a shot. Especially with Max missing the first half of the season.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #119 on: Jul 29, 2009 at 15:47 »

What about Tangradi? I recall hearing after we acquired him in the Kunitz deal that he might be NHL ready by this season. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I heard something along those lines. I'm sure he'll start off the season in Wilkes-Barre, but if he's ready, I'd love to see him get a shot. Especially with Max missing the first half of the season.

His future appears to be bright and I guess it all depends on how he looks in camp, but Tangradi will probably spend the majority of the season in the AHL in my opinion.  He missed his chance at joining the WBS playoff run last season because he severed a tendon in his wrist during a OHL playoff game and is currently coming off his second surgery (minor) to clean up some of the tissue.  Still, it stinks that he was not able to gain some experience at the AHL level last season.

While I would not be completely shocked to see him get some playing time later on in the season, from what I have gathered the Penguins plan on bringing him along slowly instead of rushing him up to the big club.  While Talbot could possibly miss the first two months, I would bank on either Caputi or Jeffrey getting the call up before Tangradi this year.  Both have experience at the AHL level and both have some experience at the NHL level.

Down the road, Tangradi will hopefully be the power forward who causes hell in front of the net and brings a nasty edge to his game.  Something we have been missing ever since an overpaid Ryan Malone left for greener pastures.  From what I have seen, Tangradi reminds me of a poor man's Kevin Stevens.  We will be very lucky if that turns out to be the case.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2009 at 15:50 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: