Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 22, 2014 at 09:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 [13] 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Offseason Moves  (Read 9660 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #120 on: Jul 31, 2009 at 14:14 »

Penguins sign Curry, Brookbank, Smith
Friday, July 31, 2009
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins have signed three players, including John Curry, who was a restricted free agent and appears to be their backup goaltender of the future.

They also signed veteran forwards Wade Brookbank and Wyatt Smith, who have NHL experience but whose primary role is expected to be that of providing depth on the team's Wilkes-Barre/Scranton farm club.

Curry, 25, signed a two-year, two-way contract worth $1 million. He played in his first three NHL games last season while starter Marc-Andre Fleury was hurt.

Earlier this month, the Penguins signed veteran goaltender Brent Johnson to a one-year, one-way contract. Johnson appears to have the inside track on the backup spot to start the 2009-10 season.

"We want a little bit more experience in the backup role, and John's getting that," general manager Ray Shero said "He's proven to be a pretty good prospect for us."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09212/98774...m#ixzz0MrkSxuFe

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #121 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 00:27 »

Take care Pesonen, it was fun while it lasted...

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/jaakiekko/2009/08/926018

Also, TIOPS/Madden are stating that Tanguay's agent has contacted the Penguins.  IMO, the only way this happens is if we find a way to trade Dupuis in order to free up some cash.  Easier said than done with that salary.  I'm sure we would have to throw in a pick or two.  At this point, I think it's highly unlikely that Tanguay will be sporting a Penguins jersey this season, but I guess anything's possible.

I wanted him earlier and I would love to have him now.
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2009 at 02:28 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #122 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 11:09 »

Given that Fedontenko is going to be making 1.8 million next season I don't see how signing Tanguay would even be possible since I'd have to think that he'd demand at least that. Even if you move Dupuis' horrible contract that would give us what, maybe 1.5-2 million in cap space. Shero needs wiggle room for unforeseen shit such as injuries as well as any wheeling and dealing.

That said if Shero finds a way to make it happen he's an even bigger god that we all thought.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #123 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 20:57 »

Wow, very cheap...

Tanguay has had interest from the Oilers, Panthers, Islanders and Lightning. The indications are the best offer he's received has been for $1.2 million a season.

That's almost an 80% pay cut on a deal that would probably only be for a year.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/2009/07/29/10296986-sun.html

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2009 at 21:01 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #124 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 21:47 »

After coming off a down year, Pittsburgh would be an ideal organization for Tanguay at this point in his career.  He could come here on the cheap, pad his stats while playing with the two best players in the league, possibly win another cup and cash in later on down the line with a different team or possibly resign with the Penguins depending on how things work out.  At least that's how I would look at it if I were Tanguay.

Considering the offers he has received up to this point and also taking into consideration that he has been on the market for around four weeks now, I'm not sure Tanguay is in a position to demand much more than 1.2-1.5.  While I feel he would produce very nicely on a Malkin/Crosby line, he's not exactly coming off a blockbuster season.  If Tanguay is expecting $2.0 a year, I don't think he's going to get it from any team, not just the Penguins.

While I would love to see Shero trade Dupuis or package Dupuis/Godard, I think he's done for the offseason when it comes to adding significant pieces to the puzzle.  Which is why I feel signing Tanguay is highly unlikely.  I can't say that I'm entirely comfortable with our top two lines, but I guess we will find out starting on October 2.  IMO, a little extra punch on those top two lines would be very nice to have this year.

There is always the trade deadline if things are not working out.

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2009 at 21:51 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #125 on: Aug 05, 2009 at 14:22 »

Some very interesting news today.  I wonder if Yeo is sweating a little bit?  After the way that PP looked last season I know I woud be...

The Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins named Tony Granato as assistant coach, announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=463547

Scratch that, Yeo has nothing to worry about unfortunately...

He replaces Tom Fitzgerald, who was an assistant during the Penguins' Stanley Cup run but stepped back into management after the season as assistant to the general manager

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09217/988776-100.stm#ixzz0NL62koRg
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2009 at 14:42 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #126 on: Aug 19, 2009 at 12:52 »

While I have no clue what Bylsma plans on doing with the lines, I only know one thing for sure and that is I do not want to see Pascal Dupuis on that second line.  He hasn't stepped up his offensive game over the last four years, what makes them think he will magically do it this upcoming season?   

To start off the season I wouldn't mind seeing these combinations...  

Kunitz - Crosby - Guerin

Fedotenko - Malkin - Kennedy

Cooke - Staal - Caputi/Jeffrey

Dupuis - Adams - Rupp

Seems logical. The defensive pairings may be a little harder to figure out though. Wink

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #127 on: Aug 19, 2009 at 14:50 »

Seems logical. The defensive pairings may be a little harder to figure out though. Wink

This may be splitting hairs, but I'd rather see Caputi/Jeffrey play on that 2nd line and take advantage of their offensive pedigree. Even with Staal's offensive potential, that line remains the "shut-down" line and really isn't counted on to score goals consistently. Kennedy is perfect for that 3rd line. He is extremely reliable in his own end and can put the puck in the net every so often but he's proven in the past to be out of place on either of the top two lines. I can't stand when the Penguins bring up a young player, play him out of position for four games and send him back to the minors never to be heard from again. You can't expect a young offensive minded player to succeed while playing on a checking line.

As far as the D goes I think they have the perfect mix of offensive and defensive defensemen. I've posted this before but I'd put...

Gonchar w/ Orpik
Letang w/ Eaton
and
Goligoski w/ McKee

If you wanted to have a shut-down pair you could match up any 2 of the 3; Orpik, Eaton or McKee.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #128 on: Aug 19, 2009 at 19:42 »

If anything, the defensive pairings should be easier to determine this season.  If McKee can actually remain healthy this season, we should have a nice blend of offensive d-men and defensive d-men, along with veteran and youth. 

Like I said, I'm more worried about the lack of punch on our top two lines.  That's why I would like to see us either sign a more proven winger if fiscally possible or at the very least allow Malkin to play with a winger who has some time under his belt at the NHL level. 

If Kennedy is not working out on the second line and one of our younger wingers is actually showing signs of being able to hang at the NHL level and not looking like the second coming of Janne Pesonen (who is now in the KHL), then bump him up and give him a shot.  In a perfect world, we would sign Tanguay, plug him on the second line, keep the third line the way it was last season and go on from there. 

Unfortunately, it's not a perfect world. Wink 

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #129 on: Aug 28, 2009 at 21:59 »

I'm anxious to see the details of the contract...

There could be a new French Connection in the works, as RDS is reporting that the Tampa Bay Lightning have agreed to terms of a contract with Alex Tanguay pending a physical. Terms of the deal were not released.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=289156
Pages: 1 ... 12 [13] 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: