Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 29, 2014 at 06:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starks sings 4-year deal...  (Read 1463 times)
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jun 23, 2009 at 17:04 »

Looks like we are starting to nail down the line of the future... C & RT left to figure stuff out...

Starks --- Kemo --- Hartwig/Shipley --- Urbik --- Colon???
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #11 on: Jun 24, 2009 at 08:52 »

Looks like we are starting to nail down the line of the future... C & RT left to figure stuff out...

Starks --- Kemo --- Hartwig/Shipley --- Urbik --- Colon???

I could live with that

Go Steelers
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jun 24, 2009 at 11:20 »

All of those offensive line issues are finally solved.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #13 on: Jun 24, 2009 at 11:26 »

He is only 27 and maybe a servicable OT for at least 3 years.  A great move to free up cap room to sing Heath.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jun 24, 2009 at 14:13 »

All of those offensive line issues are finally solved.

LMAO

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
RoundTripperKipper
N00b

« Reply #15 on: Jun 24, 2009 at 22:08 »

I think Starks is a gamer. His work ethic in practice probably pisses off some coaches, but when he plays he does a good job. I think his play during both Super Bowl runs was very good. I am not sure why he was benched by Tomlin. Maybe Tomlin was trying to set an example, but he has been better than Marvel for 3 years. Some guys can just suit up and do a good job.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jun 25, 2009 at 06:42 »

The entire line has its issues, to a man.  Starks is no different.  He would seem to be the proto RT, and Colon would seem to be the proto RG, and the fact that those guys can't play those spots or aren't being allowed to is vexing.  Starks will always need help against the speed rush, you can't leave him on an island on passing downs.

What this deal does is basically removes uncertainty going into the 2010 draft, and allows us to improve the line from the inside out.  Stapleton is very young -- 23 -- and Kemo, Colon, and Starks are all 26, 27.  Hartwig is 30, which tells me he plays out and moves on, especially if Shipley can show anything at all.  With last year's two starting OGs (for most of the season) competing against draft pick Urbik, it would seem there should be some incremental improvement.   

Bottom line, Ben's still gonna get planted plenty.  Hopefully the young interior can step up and that improvement will radiate out to the tackles.  IN a couple of years maybe we upgrade that shit, too.  It's a gamble, but less so than if we were facing losing Starks and had no alternative.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jburghfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #17 on: Jun 25, 2009 at 07:56 »

The entire line has its issues, to a man.  Starks is no different.  He would seem to be the proto RT, and Colon would seem to be the proto RG, and the fact that those guys can't play those spots or aren't being allowed to is vexing

Basically because we don't have a LT.....
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: