Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 27, 2014 at 07:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Day 7 of Chantix  (Read 2687 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #20 on: Jul 19, 2009 at 11:07 »

Ten days of non-smoking for the wife and I, working on day 11.  Just got back from vacation a while ago, drove all night, 12+ hrs, brain numb, sleep soon.

No weirdness to report as the Chantix goes, though.  Thus far, two thumbs up.
 thumb thumbsup

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #21 on: Jul 28, 2009 at 09:21 »

A couple more days will complete the first four weeks dosage and three weeks sans ciggies.  I think it's a little easier since the wife and I both have quit.  Well, that's my story, any little thing for further motivation.

I've found it smart to cut back on coffee - it increases the urge.  Whether that's just my own habit or there's some special thing going on between caffeine and nicotine, I don't know.  But it seems my caffeine misses the nicotine.  It's another evil ploy my brain has devised to rationalize a smoke.

But I'm onto you, brain, you bastard.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Jul 28, 2009 at 17:23 »

A couple more days will complete the first four weeks dosage and three weeks sans ciggies.  I think it's a little easier since the wife and I both have quit.  Well, that's my story, any little thing for further motivation.

I've found it smart to cut back on coffee - it increases the urge.  Whether that's just my own habit or there's some special thing going on between caffeine and nicotine, I don't know.  But it seems my caffeine misses the nicotine.  It's another evil ploy my brain has devised to rationalize a smoke.

But I'm onto you, brain, you bastard.

Yeah, I seem to recall a coffee-nicotine connection.  Also, post-prandial and post-coital connections.  Didn't stop me from drinking coffee, or the others.  But at least temporarily, any way you can fool the brain, take away the triggers...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Jul 28, 2009 at 18:18 »

Jonzr,

Beyond the dreams and the potential for the runs, watch out for any significant symptoms of depression. In case you hadn't read, that is a more recent concern about the product. The occasional person has experienced severe depression with suicidal ideation.  If that happens, give your doctor a call.

Of course, I suspect that many going cold-turkey have experienced that depression as well, so it might not be just the medication. It could be your body missing it's old friend nicotine.

Can't be worse than an AFC championship loss at home, though, can it?

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #24 on: Jul 28, 2009 at 18:31 »

Jonzr,

Beyond the dreams and the potential for the runs, watch out for any significant symptoms of depression. In case you hadn't read, that is a more recent concern about the product. The occasional person has experienced severe depression with suicidal ideation.  If that happens, give your doctor a call.

Of course, I suspect that many going cold-turkey have experienced that depression as well, so it might not be just the medication. It could be your body missing it's old friend nicotine.

None of that so far, but I appreciate the heads up.

Can't be worse than an AFC championship loss at home, though, can it?

No, it can't.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #25 on: Jul 29, 2009 at 15:47 »

Did 3 rounds (boxes) of Chantix and have been smoke free since April 6! I did remember my dreams more, but never had any fucked up ones, but i do know of people who have. It helped that really none of my friends or my girlfriend smoke, and only recently have i been able to be around people who do for fear of bumming one for starters. Keep up the good work my friend, it will get easier, but it took me about 3-3 1/2 months to feel confident about it. Watch out for weight gain though.....Good luck, you'll be richer when its all done with!

Go Steelers
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #26 on: Jul 29, 2009 at 16:23 »

Did 3 rounds (boxes) of Chantix and have been smoke free since April 6! I did remember my dreams more, but never had any fucked up ones, but i do know of people who have. It helped that really none of my friends or my girlfriend smoke, and only recently have i been able to be around people who do for fear of bumming one for starters. Keep up the good work my friend, it will get easier, but it took me about 3-3 1/2 months to feel confident about it. Watch out for weight gain though.....Good luck, you'll be richer when its all done with!

Congrats!

Yup, I just want to get this thing down the road a bit, 3-3 1/2 mths sounds great to me for comfort - so far I've not been around any other smokers.  Starting round 2 on Friday. 

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #27 on: Jul 30, 2009 at 07:13 »

it will be tough. right around middle of second box i had one last fit of wanting a cigarette, but since then i've been good. fleeting cravings every now and then. i stayed away from smoking situations like bars and twhat not. it will work if you really want it to.

Congrats!

Yup, I just want to get this thing down the road a bit, 3-3 1/2 mths sounds great to me for comfort - so far I've not been around any other smokers.  Starting round 2 on Friday. 

Go Steelers
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #28 on: Jul 30, 2009 at 08:33 »

it will work if you really want it to.

I thoroughly believe that, so it's gonna work.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #29 on: Aug 05, 2009 at 23:02 »

Finished the week 5 pack today, so today completes 4 weeks smoke free.  It's getting easier but there are still tweeks here and there.

As for Chantix side-effects, over the 5 week period, I do recall more dreams than usual.  But I've generally recalled dreaming soon after waking in the morning, so that's not unusual.  But it does seem to be a greater frequency.  The content is nothing out of the ordinary for me. 

There is one thing though, I'm not sure I ever get past the dream stage of sleep.  No matter when I awake, it seems like I was dreaming - of course, that's not unusual, that perception.  But even after getting 8 hrs I still feel sleepy sometimes.  Now I forget all the sleep stages, but I know dreaming is not the deepest one.  And I think we cycle through the stages through out the night, but if that deepest one is never in the cycle, that could explain the tiredness.

Just layman speculation.

Overall, still glad I'm using Chantix.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: