Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 31, 2014 at 13:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Savran on Sportsbeat; end of an era  (Read 1517 times)
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« on: Jul 13, 2009 at 09:33 »

Savran to stay at FSN-Pittsburgh
By PATRICK CLOONAN, Daily News Staff Writer
07/11/2009.

Stan Savran will remain a part of Fox Sports Net-Pittsburgh, though he is losing his nightly "SportsBeat" show.

A spokeswoman for Liberty Sports Group in Pittsburgh said Friday that Savran has been signed to a new contract that will cover Pirates, Penguins and Steelers programming on the cable channel.

"I've spent nearly half of my professional life at this regional sports network, and I'd like to end my career, whenever that may be, right here," Savran said.

FSN Senior Vice President/General Manager Ted Black said Savran will remain at the core of the network as primary host of Pirates and Penguins pre-game shows.

"Stan will continue to be the face of this network," Black said. "His presence will ensure that we continue to make game nights a truly special experience for our viewers."

Savran also will continue to host the weekly cablecast of Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin's press conference and "The Mike Tomlin Show" from the FSN studios.

Savran's last "SportsBeat" will be a two-hour retrospective beginning Monday at 6:30 p.m. The network said confirmed guests include Tunch Ilkin, Kevin Colbert, Tom Bradley, Greg Brown, Bob Walk, Steve Pederson and Paul Steigerwald.

"We will respectfully bid farewell to 'SportsBeat' on Monday as we close this significant chapter in Pittsburgh television history," Black said.

Savran confirmed for "SportsBeat" viewers Thursday that the show is ending.

Sorry to see the show end. It's been a consistant part of my life from the it's beginning. There's nothing else like it and cannot be replaced by any cookie cutter national sports show.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2009 at 18:07 »

Watching the Final 2 hour show right now.  This sucks for those of us who depend on the show to catch up with the local burgh' sports.  18 years replaced with some garbage. 

Savran thanks for the years.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2009 at 19:36 »

When a out-of-towner like Jory Rand, who is completely clueless when it comes to our city, fans and teams is capable of keeping a job in this city and Savern has his show cancelled, it's a very sad day in Pittsburgh.  I have no idea what FSN/Liberty Sports Group are thinking, but they just cancelled the most watched sports show in Western Pennsylvania. 

While it's too late now, if PCNC had any desire to become a legitimate Pittsburgh sports station in this city, they would have offered Stan a contract and a one hour time slot.  Apparently, they seem content with all five of the viewers who actually watch Fedko on a nightly basis.

Loved the show and watched it religiously.  It will definately be missed and it was a part of Pittsburgh.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2009 at 20:42 »

What, if anything, can we do to help to bring this show back to the fans of Pittsburgh sports? I am sad and pissed off that this has happened.  Just in disbelief that it is over...

Brinker

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2009 at 20:50 »

http://msn.foxsports.com/feedback

Let em' know...bring Sportsbeat back

vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2009 at 14:00 »

No more Tunchistrator, not more Dean of Pittsburgh Sports Writers, no more SportsBeat. When the missus told me, I could not believe it. That was Thursday, then I saw that Stan SINGED a contract, and figured it was a contract dispute, and that it would go on. Until I saw the promo for eh final SportsBeat. It is complete BS and will be missed.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: