Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 27, 2014 at 22:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you a 1-Percenter?  (Read 4611 times)
DocLogic77
N00b

Redneck-Esque

« Reply #30 on: Sep 17, 2009 at 15:40 »

Forgot about the emergency room issue.  I believe Scac mentioned that much of the money gets wasted there.  But isn't that a catch-22 situation?  Why do the people go to the emergency room first?  I'm assuming it's b/c they won't get turned away for not having insurance.  

Isn't that a problem that will instantly go away if there's coverage for everyone?  Then when people show up at the emergency room with a chest cold, the doctor or nurse can tell them to fuck off and go to their primary care physician.  Win-win.

It should infuriate you to know how your tax dollars get wasted in the ER.  First, it's not just the uninsured that use the ER as a primary care clinic...it's the medicaid and medicare population.  On most days, if you come into our ER...I will have you out the door in less than 40 minutes if we don't run tests.  Our closest pediatrician is about 30 miles away (yes we are very rural).  So, the medicaid population uses our ER as a pediatric clinic because they don't want to drive...and they don't want to wait (2 hour wait times at the pediatrician).  We can't turn them away.  So, Joe taxpayer pays a $500 visit instead of a $75 visit for a simple sore throat.  $500 for pharyngitis?  That's nuts and so wasteful.  We have no recourse...there is no motivation for these people to change their habits.  

The ER is a haven for those who like to seek narcotics and are looking for a jackpot judgement.  We must practice defensive medicine...and that raises costs.

Make people accountable for how they use the ER, pass tort reform, require health insurance and health spending accounts for everyone, and eliminate primary care clinic coverage.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public, with the public's money - Alexis De Tocqueville
DocLogic77
N00b

Redneck-Esque

« Reply #31 on: Sep 17, 2009 at 15:53 »

If you weren't one of those then don't take offense.  But it's a simple fact that some medical doctors do accept kickbacks to push certain drugs on their patients.  This is part of the problem.

I don't take any offense, but I think that problem is an exceedingly small percentage that doesn't significantly impact the bottom line.

I didn't say anything about limiting drug company profits.

My mistake, misread it.  Insurance is a big issue I admit.  However, more control governmnet has, more money for fat-cat politicians to "reappropriate."

Even many Democrats say reform won't happen without more money/increasing deficit.  If more revenue is needed, I tend to favor what I call "optional" taxes.  Two examples:  raise cigarette tax - let those who smoke pay more for increased costs due to smoking related illnesses.  Don't want to pay - quit smoking and your health care costs will likely go down also.  Second, if you want more taxes from wealthiest group, is a luxury tax.  Add 5% to cost of vehicles over 50K, boats, high end TVs, etc.  If you don't want to pay, don't buy the item.

Exactly, how many physicians are willing to risk prison and loss of license for a few bucks?  It has to be an extremely small percentage.  I can't imagine that being a huge problem.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public, with the public's money - Alexis De Tocqueville
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: