Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 20, 2014 at 20:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a CD suggestion  (Read 529 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jul 31, 2009 at 15:20 »

Got a little mad money for the birthday, and was going to order the usual vices (books & music) from Amazon.  Have some extra in the budget for another CD or two...

I am definitely out of the loop as far as recent music goes.  Black Keys is probably my best recent find.  Most music from the past 10 years or so I find wimpy, whiny, and derivative.  So, disillusion me of these assumptions, if you can.

Or, if you can think of some old nugget that I may have overlooked and need to add to the collection, make your case here.  Two such I had considered were Jim Carroll Band's Catholic Boy, which I never bought on vinyl, and Suicide's first album, which is packaged with extra tracks.

I scoff at my lack of income!  I need goodies!!!

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2009 at 15:36 »

Does Finny ever just take in some simple beer drinkin' music?

A Canadian musician (don't Google the US guy) that we listened to quite a bit back in the day.

http://www.davidwilcoxrocks.com/David_Wilcox_Rocks/DavidWilcoxRocks.html

I still have his first 3 albums...um, cassettes. The live footage on YT is pretty poor quality, but you get the idea. I've seen him live many years ago, before he cleaned up. Dude would roll his eyes back in his head and play all night.

David Wilcox - Do The Bearcat
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2009 at 15:48 »

Does Finny ever just take in some simple beer drinkin' music?

Only if it's some wussy micro-brew (a toffee-like finish with a hint of lavender!) that I can drink out of a teacup with pinky extended. 

Thanks, Otis, I'll check this when I get home and can access.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 04:09 »

Or maybe something like it?

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 07:06 »

Or maybe something like it?

yeehaw

I don't listen to much new stuff, so I am not much help Smiley

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 08:23 »

The last one I purchased was For All I Care by The Bad Plus.  I've enjoyed it tremendously.  They're an acoustic three piece (bass, piano, drums) and they use a vocalist on about half the tracks of this album, but normally are instrumental (I think).  They'll throw down some wacked tempo changes, time sigs, etc.  This particular album features covers of many different bands from The Bee Gees (How Deep Is Your Love) to Nirvana (Lithium) to Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb).  They don't so much cover the songs as rip the flesh down to the skeleton then rebuild all the juicy parts.  There's a passage in Comfortably Numb where the piano is not where you think it should be, it's building a pressure you can feel in your chest before it becomes a crescendo into the chorus, just awesome.  Somewhat reminiscent of swirly-instrumental part of A Day in the Life.

I'd wager that people who only listen to the radio would hate the album.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: