Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 19:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beer Question  (Read 2120 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Jul 31, 2009 at 13:54 »

Okay, feeding off the previous thread, I have an issue about beer.

I will drink a Miller Light.  I enjoy an IC Light, especially on Stiller game days.  I really don't like any Bud products, but I will take in an MGD or Coors Light.

BUT...

I prefer Guiness, Sam Adams, Killians, etc.  I'm a big fan of JW Dundee's Honey Brown, and I really like St. Bernardius.  I catch a lot of crap because these are not "manly" beers.

Why is it more "manly" to drink watered-down stuff, when Guiness and St. Bernardius are 5-12% alchohol content?  Yes, they cost more, but you don't have to drink nearly as much of it.

Discuss...

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2009 at 14:39 »

I think with some people it comes down to the whole imported beer vs American brewed beer debate.  If you drink one of those Euro beers, no matter the alcohol content or the fact that it doesn't taste like watered down piss, you must be a sissy of some sort.  The way I look at it, I might as well spend a little more cash and actually enjoy the taste of my beer.  It only makes sense to me.  

Anyways, I say drink what you like and cheers!

« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2009 at 15:06 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2009 at 14:40 »

I agree, Preach.

In my opinion, drinking watery piss (Bud, Miller, Coors, Strohs, ad nauseam) is far less appealing than drinking beer with actual flavor and something resembling a kick in the pants.  (Although I'm not a fan of the Dundee, and Killians is just so-so IMO.)

My "mainstream" fallback is Yuengling, which to some is an acquired taste.  But I can drink Guinness any time; after a hard day's work in blazing summer heat, I find Guinness to be less heavy than dark, and actually very quaffable.  Have opined about my local micro before (Troegs), and have a partial case of their Summer Pils and a partial case of their Hop Back Ale right now, left over from the 45th cookout.  I tend to like the micros, but even a Sammy Adams goes back fine.

Piss beer is like eating pizza, with all the cheese and toppings scraped off.  

Of course, I've never had anyone tell me that drinking piss beer is manly and drinking real beer isn't.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2009 at 17:47 »

I drink New Castle, Sierra Nevada, Bass, Yuengling, and Fat Tire mostly. Bud on tap is also pretty damn good too. I can also go for PBR, and all the mainstream light beers if that's all that is there. Beer Pong tournaments in college have trained me to be able to withstand a tsunami of shitty watered down beer.

I've always gathered that people who drink heavier beer like Guinness were the hardcore beer drinkers. I really enjoy a brown or pale ale, but as far as Guinness goes...I think that's one notch above me.

Anyone try the new Budweiser American Ale? I was skeptical, but it's actually not bad.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2009 at 17:58 »

What's so hardcore about Guinness?

Seriously?

To me it's just a nice, easygoing kinda brew.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2009 at 20:02 »

I've always gathered that people who drink heavier beer like Guinness were the hardcore beer drinkers. I really enjoy a brown or pale ale, but as far as Guinness goes...I think that's one notch above me.

I guess it just depends on what you like.  I wouldn't consider a person a hardcore beer drinker simply because they drink Guinness.  I can drink one or two if they are offered, but after a while I get tired of the taste.  Some people swear by it, I think it's okay.

While I am not a Budweiser fan, I will give the American ale a try for the hell of it Whitmer.  I have grown fond of Harp and Yuengling over the years because those are the only two beers worth drinking at Heinz Field.  I haven't had a New Castle in a long time, but I do enjoy it.

Mmmm...beer.  love4
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2009 at 20:05 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2009 at 20:11 »

I'll have a Guinness or maybe two, but that's usually enough for me. Couldn't really see drinking them all day/evening. Used to go to a local brew pub in Mobile and sample their menu. Stuff on tap is so much better. Was up in Ottawa a few years back, drinking Keith's. Brought a case of bottles home, just not the same.

Hear near STL, it's Bud land. I'll grab a Miller GD at the bar where we watch the games, just because I got into the habit of drinking those at the Steelers bar in MN.

Tried some Fat Tire a few months back...might grab the odd 6 pack of Blue Moon or Honey Moon.
napgamer
N00b

« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2009 at 20:15 »

Everybody has their own taste in beer.  Yuengling is great for the price.  Most Bud products or Coors are not for me unless there is nothing else but as for real quality beers try Smithwicks (pronounced Smiticks in the northeast or Spaten a true german beer. beer

154th NY forever.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2009 at 20:28 »

What's so hardcore about Guinness?

Seriously?

To me it's just a nice, easygoing kinda brew.

To me it's really heavy and bitter. I can barely get through one of them. If you can sit down and have 3 or 4...well I think you have the stomach to drink a quart of Quaker State. However, I can put away a large amount of Irish Car Bombs  headbang

While I am not a Budweiser fan, I will give the American ale a try for the hell of it Whitmer.

I was surprised by it. It's definitely in the same family as a Yuengling, Harp, or Sierra Nevada. I'd still prefer a New Castle or Sierra, but it brings a refreshing change of pace if you're in a rut with your beer selection.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2009 at 23:41 »

Bud fan here.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: