Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 22, 2014 at 23:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beer Question  (Read 2006 times)
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #20 on: Aug 03, 2009 at 10:54 »

there's a couple local breweries i like here...Brooklyn Lager and the Brooklyn Pennant Pale Ale

Fuck Brooklyn Brewery.  Motherfuckers support the stadium.

I didn't know that, but regardless i still like the beer.  I thought the stadium is crushed anyway.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
whitmer_87

« Reply #21 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 03:43 »

Anyone try Sweetwater Blue or Sweetwater 420? I play cards every Monday night, and we rotate who brings beer. Which normally brings a pretty diverse beer selection. Someone last night brought Blue and 420, and I thought it was pretty damn good. I've had 420 on tap(agree that beer from the keg is always better) a few months back and liked it, but completely forgot about it until yesterday. Good stuff.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 08:37 »

Big Virgil says no to beer!!!!!  Never liked it and therefore never acquired the taste.  To me it is just as nasty as wine.

Gimme some whiskey (whiskey sour, Manhattan etc), tequila (margarita or other concoction) Rum, Vodka tini's, or just about anything mixed with vodka.

I get a lot of crap for drinking "fussy stuff" but most of it has 5x or 6x the alcohol content of beer, so who is really the sissy?  Hmmm? Hmmmm?

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 08:44 »

Big Virgil says no to beer!!!!! 

Really? I just assumed the basket on the front of your bike was for 2 six packs.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 09:10 »

Big Virgil says no to beer!!!!!  Never liked it and therefore never acquired the taste.  To me it is just as nasty as wine.

Gimme some whiskey (whiskey sour, Manhattan etc), tequila (margarita or other concoction) Rum, Vodka tini's, or just about anything mixed with vodka.

I get a lot of crap for drinking "fussy stuff" but most of it has 5x or 6x the alcohol content of beer, so who is really the sissy?  Hmmm? Hmmmm?

I probably drink more wine and less beer now than I did, say, 10 years ago. 

Cheap beer tastes like cheap piss.  You can find some nice wine bargains, but at the end of the day even an expensive beer is cheaper than that.  Now, when it comes to distilled spirits, I can't take any cheap shit, either.  Not necessarily saying I have to drink Johnny Walker Blue at $175 a fifth or some shit, but if you're slugging back Popov vodka, you're gonna have a ringer the next morning.  So I do enjoy hard stuff, if good quality, but more on special occasions and nights out.

Everyday drinking:  wine, beer.

Hard stuff:  Scotch, bourbon, real martinis (gin, not vodka), anejo tequila (straight, never mixed).  The only thing you need with Scotch or bourbon is ice and a whisper of water, and preferably a good cigar.  There are so many good brands and styles I can't even begin to get into them all, but I do love Macallan (12, 18 y.o), Jim Beam black label is pretty decent value and taste, and Knob Creek is rockin'.  Vodka martinis, what's the point?  Most newbies like Bombay Sapphire, which is fine, but good old Tangueray remains the standard, while Hendrick's is my choice if I have some extra bucks to burn.  Don't know the brands of anejo so well, although Tres Hermanos comes to mind.  Went to a local Mexican restaurant where they don't serve the usual rice-beans-shitfest, it's real, fresh, good Mexican cuisine, and I ordered a flight of anejo shots.  Wow.  Right up there with good Scotch, seriously.  I do make kickin' margaritas, but not from some high fructose mix: I juice up a ton of limes and lemons, and add some Triple Sec and a healthy dose of reposado, which IMO is much better than the usual white or gold tequila.  I've had some good aged rum that was smooth enough to drink on the rocks, but don't drink much of the stuff otherwise.  (Dark rum is a key ingredient in my smoked salmon, though!)

I figure I'll remain well enough preserved that even if I kick the bucket tomorrow, I won't start to rot for another 50 years.  Weekend at Finny's!

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Joetorious

« Reply #25 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 09:14 »

Anyone try Sweetwater Blue or Sweetwater 420? I play cards every Monday night, and we rotate who brings beer. Which normally brings a pretty diverse beer selection. Someone last night brought Blue and 420, and I thought it was pretty damn good. I've had 420 on tap(agree that beer from the keg is always better) a few months back and liked it, but completely forgot about it until yesterday. Good stuff.

Had some 420 of both varieties the other night. The beer was ok - reminded me of Dogfish Head.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
VaBchSteelersfan

« Reply #26 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 09:28 »

Cheap beer tastes like cheap piss.

Couldn't agree more! I gave up beer a few years ago, nasty stuff that makes me bloated and barfy. So the rule now on football Sundays is everytime the Steelers get a TD, I get to have a shot of bourbon. TD's only, field goals don't count.
Suffice to say, I've been pretty well hammered at the end of some games!

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 10:04 »

Big Virgil says no to beer!!!!!  

Really? I just assumed the basket on the front of your bike was for 2 six packs.

That basket is for Otis.  I figured you needed to ride in the basket a couple of times before we turn you loose on your own bike sporting the new bike shorts.
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2009 at 10:07 by Big Virgil » Logged

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 10:19 »

Cheap beer tastes like cheap piss.  You can find some nice wine bargains, but at the end of the day even an expensive beer is cheaper than that.  Now, when it comes to distilled spirits, I can't take any cheap shit, either.  Not necessarily saying I have to drink Johnny Walker Blue at $175 a fifth or some shit, but if you're slugging back Popov vodka, you're gonna have a ringer the next morning.  So I do enjoy hard stuff, if good quality, but more on special occasions and nights out.

Everyday drinking:  wine, beer.

Hard stuff:  Scotch, bourbon, real martinis (gin, not vodka), anejo tequila (straight, never mixed).  The only thing you need with Scotch or bourbon is ice and a whisper of water, and preferably a good cigar.  There are so many good brands and styles I can't even begin to get into them all, but I do love Macallan (12, 18 y.o), Jim Beam black label is pretty decent value and taste, and Knob Creek is rockin'.  Vodka martinis, what's the point?  Most newbies like Bombay Sapphire, which is fine, but good old Tangueray remains the standard, while Hendrick's is my choice if I have some extra bucks to burn.  Don't know the brands of anejo so well, although Tres Hermanos comes to mind.  Went to a local Mexican restaurant where they don't serve the usual rice-beans-shitfest, it's real, fresh, good Mexican cuisine, and I ordered a flight of anejo shots.  Wow.  Right up there with good Scotch, seriously.  I do make kickin' margaritas, but not from some high fructose mix: I juice up a ton of limes and lemons, and add some Triple Sec and a healthy dose of reposado, which IMO is much better than the usual white or gold tequila.  I've had some good aged rum that was smooth enough to drink on the rocks, but don't drink much of the stuff otherwise.  (Dark rum is a key ingredient in my smoked salmon, though!)

I figure I'll remain well enough preserved that even if I kick the bucket tomorrow, I won't start to rot for another 50 years.  Weekend at Finny's!

I do like Gin martini's, but I would drink two of them in 15 minutes and be a little sloppy after 30 minutes.  I could start drinking at half-time, and be asleep by 3rd qtr kick-off - lol.

I don't care for scotch, and haven't acquired enough of a taste for Bourbon to drink it straight or slightly watered.  I like good tequila, but I'm too cheap to buy it.  I do buy Hornitos for the house.  I don't know how to desribe it, but it is tasty.  I prefer Italian margarita's so that is what I make at home.  Hornitos, Limeade, Orange Juice, and Amaretto.  I don't generally like margarita mix, so my recipes use Limeade and other stuff.  A lot of sugar in the Limeade though.

dare2beme

« Reply #29 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 14:24 »

I never could stomach dark beers...like someone said, too heavy and bitter.  The darkest I will go is Yuengling, which happens to be my favorite.  Ironically, I don't like the watered-down crap anymore either, so Yuengling it is.  I will drink IC Light on occasion for nostalgia purposes.  Good thing I can get Yuengling here in FL.

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: