Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 20, 2014 at 08:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rumor flying  (Read 2174 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2009 at 06:43 »

I'll now attempt to get down to the bottom of the inaccuracy of my sources. My sincere apologies for any waves I caused as a result of this report"

And also, thank you to all of those hundreds of thousands who clicked the link.

I think we should start a "Vick to Browns, will start ahead of Beardy Quinn" story.  Hell, someone will buy it.  Just say the source is a respected member of the Browns Staph Management team. Staph, herpes... what's the difference?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Aug 02, 2009 at 09:10 »

When these Vick to Pittsburgh rumors started, Florio listed 10 reasons he deemed it feasible on PFT, and reason number 9 was that the Steelers weren't necessarily committed to Ben long-term.

:huh:

Are people supposed to take that site seriously?

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2009 at 10:41 »

Are you saying Greg Lloyd had herpes??

I'm offended.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Aug 03, 2009 at 11:49 »

I think we should start a "Vick to Browns, will start ahead of Beardy Quinn" story.  Hell, someone will buy it.  Just say the source is a respected member of the Browns Staph Management team. Staph, herpes... what's the difference?

I like it, Penso!

Now I know what I can do this afternoon instead of focusing on, you know, actual work.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #14 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 08:07 »

I like it, Penso!

Now I know what I can do this afternoon instead of focusing on, you know, actual work.

What better way to rehab your reputation than to go make nice with the dog pound...?

PUMA
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Aug 11, 2009 at 23:11 »

It's not so much what Mike Tomlin said but rather what the Steelers coach didn't say on the subject of Michael Vick.

Tomlin reiterated Tuesday that the Steelers are doing their "due diligence" on all free agents, and that includes the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback who served nearly two years in prison for his part in running an illegal dog-fighting ring.

In short, Tomlin didn't rule out the Steelers having interest in Vick despite being given a second chance to do so since training camp start.

"If people are capable of helping us win, we're going to have a level of interest in those guys," Tomlin said yesterday at a news conference at St. Vincent. "I'm never going to discuss free agents individually. I don't think that's appropriate. I think that that conversation could be endless. We do our due diligence on guys that have a professional skill level and of course (Vick) is one of them."

The Steelers appear to be set at quarterback, with starter Ben Roethlisberger and reserves Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon.

But the Steelers know how quickly the situation could change because of an injury.

A little more than a year ago, Batch broke his collarbone in the preseason opener and the Steelers were forced to scramble for a replacement with Dixon not ready to become the No. 2 quarterback.

They signed veteran Byron Leftwich, and he gave the Steelers a solid backup behind Roethlisberger.

Vick, 29, has not played in the NFL since 2006 because of his legal problems. The three-time Pro Bowler was recently reinstated to the NFL on a contingent basis by commissioner Roger Goodell, and the Washington Post has reported that at least five teams are interested in signing him.

While erratic as a passer in the six seasons he played for Atlanta, Vick was the top running quarterback in the league and perhaps of all time.

"I hope whatever team he goes to we don't have to play them, because he's a problem," Steelers free safety Ryan Clark said, "and I think whatever team that gets him would be lucky to have him."

The Steelers have been linked to Vick for multiple reasons.

He and Tomlin hail from the Tidewater region in Virginia, and former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy has been serving as an adviser to Vick.

Dungy gave Tomlin his first NFL coaching job, and he has ties to the Steelers as both a player and a coach. Joel Segal, Vick's agent, did not respond to an e-mail asking if the Steelers are interested in Vick.

Said Tomlin, "If I start commenting on Michael Vick, then I'll be commenting on Plaxico Burress and everybody else that turns up on the (waiver) wire."

Clark echoed a sentiment that a lot of Steelers voiced when they reported to camp July 31 and were asked about Vick.

Vick, Clark said, has paid his debt to society and "without question" deserves a second chance.

"He seems very sincere in his apology. He seems sincere in wanting to change, so you definitely want something good to happen for him," Clark said. "I think people so often forget about their faults. I think people tend to judge on the things they don't do very quickly and very swiftly, and I think it's unfair and it's sad."

The Steelers have been mentioned as a possible landing spot for Vick because of the stability of their organization.

"I think he would fit well here, not just because of what he can do on the field but personality wise," Clark said. "With the leaders we have, we welcome anyone that wants to be a part of what we want to do and comes in with the right attitude."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_637866.html
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #16 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 10:04 »

Funny, a non-story about a non-comment.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 11:22 »

The Jeff George signing is imminent, based on this article.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 11:32 »

Someone on the Official Steeler message board said that KDKA said that there were five teams that were still in the running. The Steelers, Carolina, Buffalo, Baltimore, and Green Bay. Then someone I know who is usually the first person to be cynical said it was down to three teams and the Steelers are one of them.

This can't be happenning. I'm serious, I will pack up all my Steeler stuff, and there's a shitload of it in my house, and ship it to Mr. Rooney if he signs Vick. This would ruin football for me.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 11:35 »

Someone on the Official Steeler message board said that KDKA said that there were five teams that were still in the running. The Steelers, Carolina, Buffalo, Baltimore, and Green Bay. Then someone I know who is usually the first person to be cynical said it was down to three teams and the Steelers are one of them.

This can't be happenning. I'm serious, I will pack up all my Steeler stuff, and there's a shitload of it in my house, and ship it to Mr. Rooney if he signs Vick. This would ruin football for me.

According to the rumor site, Chris "Mort! Mort! Mort!" Mortensen reports it's most likely the Ravens.

Trying to figure out what will happen based on the abundance of rumor is like trying to figure out what someone ate that morning by catching their farts in a butterfly net.*

*I'm pretty damned happy with this particular metaphor, made up on the spot.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: